Suggestions...

Creeker

I've signed up because of this extremely useful tool. :) Been using it for a long time now.

I've got suggestions for ya:

- Make it auto-update without user involvement

- After analysising my disk for any files to be deleted. I'd like the list of files to deleted to be seperated from their size, perhaps like in Windows Explorer so we can easily see the sizes of files.

That's all :)

DogFart, how is a 0 Byte file dangerous?

How is an empty folder dangerous?

Any program that has a problem because of the lack of presence of an EMPTY folder or an EMPTY file is really the programmer's fault. If it really needs to be there for some unknown reason, the program should simply recreate it.

On topic here.

Is targeting spybot Search and Destroy's Statistics.ini such a good Idea? One might consider it pointless... Another might consider the statistical tracking of results from SSD useful...

Then one might consider the better use of CCleaner to target the .zip, .exe, and .dll (And possibly .msi?) files that would be in Spybot's updates folder. These files are typically deployed the moment the download/update session is complete and are no longer needed. Leave the .ini files in there though, as those track the updates downloaded.

Not sure if CCleaner targets the .old file in AAW's folder, it should.

Here are some suggestions (in descending order) of features I'd love to have in CCleaner:

- An checkbox in CCleaner's "Cookies to Delete" list to add the deleted cookies to Firefox's and IE's Block Lists (a la Spyware Blaster), with a "Select All" option at the top of the list.

- A browser plug-in for IE and Mozilla that deleted any cookies not in the "Cookies to Keep" list upon exiting the browser.

- Ability to add file types to the list of Custom files and folders to clean. Currently the Custom option accepts only specific files or entire folders. I.e., you can't tell it to clean only *.lst files, for example, in a specified folder. Rather, you would have to know the exact name and location of each .lst file you wanted to clean. The current implementation is still very useful, and I'm happy to have it, but it would be nice to have a bit more flexibility.

- An option to purge the Windows Desktop Search index of deleted files. WDS will do this on its own, but it takes it's own sweet time. Say, for example, you cleaned out a bunch of .log files with CCleaner, and then performed a search for *.log in WDS... the files you recently cleaned would be returned in the results found by WDS, even though they no longer exist. Obviously, this is a shortcoming entirely of WDS' making, but then again, CCleaner addresses the shortcomings of a number of Windows system and application functions, so perhaps this would be useful (or am I the only person using WDS?)

- a Mac OS X version ;)

I apologize in advance if any of the above have been requested earlier in the thread (I didn't make it through all 16 pages) or elsewhere on the forum.

CCleaner kicks ass most mightily, so none of the above should be construed as disappointments, just idle wishes from an impressed user.

- Sean

Under Advanced there are some options that are accompanied by a warning if checked.

I think that a warning should be added to the 'hotfix uninstallers' option in regards to people who have IE7 and SP2 via downloads. There may be more necessary warnings than these 2, but users should be warned that if they use the hotfix uninstaller...they will lose the uninstallers for IE7 and SP2.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Under Advanced there are some options that are accompanied by a warning if checked.

I think that a warning should be added to the 'hotfix uninstallers' option in regards to people who have IE7 and SP2 via downloads. There may be more necessary warnings than these 2, but users should be warned that if they use the hotfix uninstaller...they will lose the uninstallers for IE7 and SP2.

I agree with K's suggestion, but do have a small correction to make:

Using CCleaner's Hotfix Uninstaller feature will not remove the uninstaller for Service Pack 2 if you acquired it via download. I have run the Hotfix Uninstaller remover feature in both CCleaner 1.27 and 1.28, and I am still able to uninstall SP2.

But, as far as uninstalling IE7 beta goes, krit86lr is totally correct. And judging by all of the users on this forum who have not been able to go back to their stable version of IE6 after removing the IE7 beta uninstaller, obviously this is a fairly major issue.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I agree with K's suggestion, but do have a small correction to make:

Using CCleaner's Hotfix Uninstaller feature will not remove the uninstaller for Service Pack 2 if you acquired it via download. I have run the Hotfix Uninstaller remover feature in both CCleaner 1.27 and 1.28, and I am still able to uninstall SP2.

But, as far as uninstalling IE7 beta goes, krit86lr is totally correct. And judging by all of the users on this forum who have not been able to go back to their stable version of IE6 after removing the IE7 beta uninstaller, obviously this is a fairly major issue.

Well, maybe you are correct. I have SP2 on my CD so I don't know from experience. But there are others who haven't been able to uninstall SP2. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

DogFart, how is a 0 Byte file dangerous?

How is an empty folder dangerous?

Any program that has a problem because of the lack of presence of an EMPTY folder or an EMPTY file is really the programmer's fault. If it really needs to be there for some unknown reason, the program should simply recreate it.

What he probably meant is deleting such files/folders could be dangerous. I had (until recently) a program that depended on a 0-byte file (SETI@HOME) using it as a switch; 1 if it was there, 0 if it was not.

And I know of applications that crash when trying to write in a folder that no longer exists.

Old applications, sure, but there are people who do (need to) use old applications. :o

I've used ccleaner for probably over two years, but one irritation that has continued to bother me is the lack of any real progress indicator. It just seems to repeat itself on and on. Is there any way to set it up to show a percentage of "completeness"?

1. Empty folders are needed for some apps to function correctly, and some files should not be cleaned.

NOD32 is one app that will not work properly if you let CCleaner "clean" it. Scan histories cannot be saved. CCleaner removes a folder and .dat files that NOD32 needs, and the only way to fix this seems to be a complete uninstall and reinstall of NOD32. Simply re-creating the folder doesn't help once the .dat files are gone. Registry Mechanic is another app that doesn't work properly after CCleaner "cleans" it.

2. A warning should definitely be added to hotfix uninstallers.

3. Do not allow CCleaner to format drives, unless it's only for floppy disks.

4. If your Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird profiles are stored in another location than the default (on another hard drive, for instance), CCleaner may not be able to find them to clean them unless CCleaner can read the profiles.ini files for both apps. Can this be done? (A new thread was created to deal specifically with that issue.) Similarly, if you installed Firefox/Thunderbird to a different directory than the default, CCleaner may not be able to find the right files and directories to clean them.

5. The auto-update feature would be great, similar to how X-Cleaner (or X-Cleaner Deluxe) updates itself.

6. Thanks for adding the progress bar to the main scanning area and the issues scanning area.

This thread began in 2004. It is now 2006, and some of the suggestions herein have already been added to CCleaner. It would be nice if a mod or admin could go through this thread and mark which ideas have been implemented so far, are planned for future versions, or will not be implemented. Or maybe a cover page or summary page can be added as the first post in this thread. Then the mods/admins could simply keep updating that first post as new features are added/planned. It is just a thought.

Windows 10 (x64). Android 11. CCleaner Pro 6.02.9938.

Would it be reasonable to add a tickbox to the Options>Advanced section to allow the deletion of ALL prefetch files instead of just old prefetch data. I was thinking something along the lines of the temp folders option, eg A tickbox for: "Only delete prefetch data older than 48 hours" so that it could be unticked if wanted and CCleaner would clean all files in prefetch.

This thread began in 2004. It is now 2006, and some of the suggestions herein have already been added to CCleaner. It would be nice if a mod or admin could go through this thread and mark which ideas have been implemented so far, are planned for future versions, or will not be implemented. Or maybe a cover page or summary page can be added as the first post in this thread. Then the mods/admins could simply keep updating that first post as new features are added/planned. It is just a thought.

I would bank on it, changes and or enhancements to the forum seem to never happen all tho they are promised.

I am using ConTEXT as replacement of windows text editor, CClean does not clean the recent file list,

It would be great to have a custom ADD registry entry to be cleaned :)

also custom extention deletion.

A quick empty space wipe with alphanumeric chars would also be great.

• Moderators

I am using ConTEXT as replacement of windows text editor, CClean does not clean the recent file list,

It would be great to have a custom ADD registry entry to be cleaned :)

also custom extention deletion.

You can learn how to do this by looking at this winapp2.ini thread to get a general ideal of how to create an entry to clean ConTEXT's MRU list.

After you figure out how to create the entry and have successfully tested it a few times on your system you can post it here.

QUOTE(seamaiden @ Apr 1 2006, 12:10 AM)

I would bank on it, changes and or enhancements to the forum seem to never happen all tho they are promised.

I agree!

It will be very nice to have an WIPE FREE SPACE option :rolleyes:

What about deletion of "_restore..." from "System Volume Information" folder (you can see those when using an ativirus to scan "System Volume Information" folder) :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

A great program!

Using an Undelete program shows filenames, extensions and other info for deleted files. This could give a clue on the source and contents of cleaned files. There should be an option in CCleaner that changes the filename to, say, a random number and deletes the extension. This could be done with an option in Options/Settings/Secure Deletion, and increase the security provided by the program.

Thanks, a great program and an essential tool in the armoury. However one observation noted recently which might be worth comment - I've discovered that many of the files that CC appears to be clearing out are in fact STILL recoverable using a good file recovery tool. Check out the Advanced Deleted File Search option in Search&Recover3 (another great tool - part of the IOLO System Mechanic Professional Suite) to see what I mean.

Trev

Why not make CCleaner be able to compress files on the Hard Drive, thats a sure way to save space! You could maybe compress the whole drive or a specific folder.

PS. Is all of this being read by the guy who made CCleaner???

Why not make CCleaner be able to compress files on the Hard Drive, thats a sure way to save space! You could maybe compress the whole drive or a specific folder.

Why bother?

Hard drives are so cheap right now and compressing a hard drive is so CPU intensive that it causes NOTICIBLE delays accessing applications and data!

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I find NTFS's own compression quite sufficient and efficient. If this is not enough for some systems, you can always use Win XP's compressed folder tool.

PS. Is all of this being read by the guy who made CCleaner???

Yes :)

Like everybody on this forum ( and probably outside as wel ) we love this program.

If I can make one suggestion.

When starting the program automatically ( see options) there is no way you can follow what and where program is detecting or cleaning. Is there a chance that a window could be created (like in the manual feature) where one could follow all steps of the program ??

To carry EML's suggestion... Why not produce a log file when only auto starting? Replace the contents on each auto start - that way there's minimal amount of accumulation of it's own log file. This way it will force the user to rename the log file if s/he wants to keep it for whatever reason. I couldn't see this done on initial run of the program though :rolleyes:;)

I dont mind this I actually like it...when I run the cleaner it says nothing about open browsers...then it cleans

the crap

Other cleaners shut your browser down...when I was half way reading what happend to Ridge and Brooke :angry:

Dont change any thing in c/cleaner it rocks....I love it :D

This would probably be a BIG project, but I'm sure a "for-pay" version of CCleaner, a lot of technicians/network administrators would enjoy a network-centric administration system. You'll see this in AVG Antivirus Network Edition as well as SpySweeper. It would be a godsend for anyone that uses CCleaner on a network of systems and would like central administration. Benefits of central administration could include (my favorites of SpySweeper and AVG Antivirus):

1) Network-wide updates (from admin console)

2) Network-wide on-demand running of software on any PC (from admin console)

3) Central logging and stats

4) Security features such as "user cannot remove", "user cannot abort scans", etc.

This could prove very useful to the business sector.

Jordan Erickson

Logical Networking Solutions

Yeah this program is great :) I really love it :P

I would make a suggestion : would it be possible to make advanced option to clean Prefetch folder , I mean .pf files not have been modified for 5 days or so , and also a cleaning option for the layout.ini file ( as it stocks info about some files , OS files of course but also files you use and create , but when you delete them, some stay in the layout.ini for 3 days :( would be great for CCleaner to analyse this and delete entries older than 24 hours in the layout.ini file B)

And add a Newsleecher cache cleaning ? ;)

Best regards,

nar