Vista

Picablu

I've use Windows XP for years, and it was very easy to find anything I searched for. Now I have a laptop that runs Windows Vista, and search does not seem to be a straightforward process. Does anyone else find this difference irritating, or is it just me?

I find Vista search better, because you can do it directly in the Start Menu (and that useless "What are you searching for ?" thing isn't there any more). ^_^

It's entirely possible that I have not yet learned the correct way to search in Vista. For Instance: I want to find a document that I've saved using a word unique to that document. I type the word into the search bar and a window comes up saying no items matched my search. If I bring up Documents and type the word in that search bar, it still tells me no items matched my search even though I KNOW one of the documents contains the word.

You seem to be comfortable with Vista. I've only had it for a month and have had to just explore on my own using the ? (help feature) on this new laptop.

Maybe you could tell me how to search successfully. :mellow::)

I've recently upgraded to Windows Vista (64bit) and I must say I love it!

I've always had friends and family saying that it always crashes and sucks up alot of memory...which is true :/

But I've only had it crash once (BSOD) but I think that was my fault.... It has alot of very nice things, and alot of useless things. One of my favourite is the new search features, which you have been talking about, its very easy to use. Another is the Windows Update being integrated right into the control panel. So no more web-based updates.

Once you tweak it to your liking, there's a good chance you won't switch back to XP.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86Ghz | 3GB RAM | BFG NVIDIA 8600 GT OC w/ ThermoIntelligence | Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM HDD | Samsung SyncMaster 953BW Display | Logitech MX Revolution Mouse | Microsoft Digital Media 3000 Keyboard

I find Vista search better, because you can do it directly in the Start Menu (and that useless "What are you searching for ?" thing isn't there any more). ^_^

No its not better its crap. There is a default search button on all Windows systems from Win95 on. I think it works on Vista as well on your desktop press the F3 button and the search dialogue should appear just the same as in Explorer.

Now my limited experience of Vista is the Explorer layout is also crap. With all Windows system up to Vista Explorer shows Folders in the left-hand window and Files in the right-hand window. On Vista if you click on a folder name the whole window show the files and you have to click the back button to see the folders again.

Now I believe the the default memory for Vista is about 2GB thats probably because it runs more crap thats not really needed than WinXP.

Now another thing that has annoyed me with Windows since WinME is the Explorer short-cut. To me the Explorer short-cut should show a list of all folders on the drive. With WinME and on it always goes to My Documents. If I want to see My Documents I click on Documents\My Documents.

Now I live in Explorer in fact when Windows starts up I goto Explorer because I have a short-cut in Startup. Now for all you users that like Explorer and waht to see it properly? Create a short-cut for Explorer and put it in your QuickLauch. Right-click on this short-cut and goto Properties and copy and paste this text into it.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\

Now if your Windows folder is WinNT then use

C:\WINNT\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\

I know the default one uses %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe you can use that ands add the /n,/e,C:\ switches at the end I'm not bothered. When you click on the quicklauch you will see the proper Explorer starting at the root drive.

If you system is built on another drive then just change the drive letter to waht ever drive its on. C:\ E:\ F:\ G: or what ever. You will see how much better it looks.

Now there is another annoying thing about WinXP Explorer. When you click on a folder name it expands all sub folders at the same time. I know that you can keep the - key pressed as you click so it doesn't expand the folders but that also crap. If I what to see the sub folder I click the (+) symbol what could be easier. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

Keith this is just in your opinion, after an admittedly limited Vista experience.

Most vista users have adapted to the vista search feature, and as Aethec pointed out, even prefer it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Keith this is just in your opinion, after an admittedly limited Vista experience.

Most vista users have adapted to the vista search feature, and as Aethec pointed out, even prefer it.

Yes hazel thats what forums are about stating your opinion and thats my opinion.

Vista users have adapted to the search because they probably don't know any difference.

And you said the C word as in the first C of CCleaner! Where are my smelling salts?! I believe I'll faint!

Yes Corona I read another topic today talking about why its called CCleaner. Don't sound so shocked. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Going back to the topic, I find the search function a bit more better than the previews ones. I tend to compare it with a web browser's Ctrl+F when finding a word, pretty quick.

With regards to Keithuk's post, I also share negative experiences about why Vista must consume much in order to do the same thing as previous OSes do.

No its not better its crap. There is a default search button on all Windows systems from Win95 on. I think it works on Vista as well on your desktop press the F3 button and the search dialogue should appear just the same as in Explorer.

Now my limited experience of Vista is the Explorer layout is also crap. With all Windows system up to Vista Explorer shows Folders in the left-hand window and Files in the right-hand window. On Vista if you click on a folder name the whole window show the files and you have to click the back button to see the folders again.

Now I believe the the default memory for Vista is about 2GB thats probably because it runs more crap thats not really needed than WinXP.

Now another thing that has annoyed me with Windows since WinME is the Explorer short-cut. To me the Explorer short-cut should show a list of all folders on the drive. With WinME and on it always goes to My Documents. If I want to see My Documents I click on Documents\My Documents.

Now I live in Explorer in fact when Windows starts up I goto Explorer because I have a short-cut in Startup. Now for all you users that like Explorer and waht to see it properly? Create a short-cut for Explorer and put it in your QuickLauch. Right-click on this short-cut and goto Properties and copy and paste this text into it.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\

Now if your Windows folder is WinNT then use

C:\WINNT\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\

I know the default one uses %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe you can use that ands add the /n,/e,C:\ switches at the end I'm not bothered. When you click on the quicklauch you will see the proper Explorer starting at the root drive.

If you system is built on another drive then just change the drive letter to waht ever drive its on. C:\ E:\ F:\ G: or what ever. You will see how much better it looks.

Now there is another annoying thing about WinXP Explorer. When you click on a folder name it expands all sub folders at the same time. I know that you can keep the - key pressed as you click so it doesn't expand the folders but that also crap. If I what to see the sub folder I click the (+) symbol what could be easier. ;)

Seems to be a lot of crap in this post - in more ways than one :lol:

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

It amazes me how many PC users use search functions. I'm barely familiar with those functions. I know a dog wags its tail if I search for a file etc, which is an extremely rare task for me. Seeing how much importance different browsers emphasize about their search functions I gathered that there are a lot of people who rely on search as part of their jobs and hobbies.

Waving hello to the fine people in this forum!

:rolleyes:

I agree with Keith. I believe that I have spent more time trying to deal with Vista than actually getting something done.

I have spent countless hours trying to figure out the Search function.

I find that I am unable to search for a word in the content as a means to identify a particular file is also very annoying.

Dell techs have tried to explain the Vista search function although it is not a part of their jobe description.

Vista seems to take the life out of internet research and computer work in general. (I am presently using Win XP and am unable to use my laptop with Vista. I had a bresak-in which affected my two laptops...I don't want to get into the details. I will merely say that I lost a lot...)

I am glad that Keith posted his opinion which I believe more would support if they had the courage.

What really is disheartening me is that MS is going to discontinue Win XP supports, updates, etc. while having created Windows 7. (I am too lazy to look up the last date of WXP support.)

Windows 7 according to the Dell techs with whom I have spoken is built off of Vista.

The wording "built off of" is not accurate but I cannot recall the exact, or think of any better wording right now.

Seems to be a lot of crap in this post - in more ways than one :lol:

Everyone is entitled to there opinion.

Going back to the topic, I find the search function a bit more better than the previews ones. I tend to compare it with a web browser's Ctrl+F when finding a word, pretty quick.

A web browser Ctrl+F search is a lot simpler than a file or folder search Tunerz. I wouldn't mind if the search used the original search function as used on Win9x. You get a seperate box up to search for something not not converting Explorer into a search engine.

I agree with Keith. I believe that I have spent more time trying to deal with Vista than actually getting something done.

I am glad that Keith posted his opinion which I believe more would support if they had the courage.

Thank you Mary. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Don't really count my opinion, as I haven't really tested Vista out yet, and this is my opinion in my brief time of using it. IMO, Vista search seems easier, since all you have to do is open up the Start Menu, and there is a search area right there, so you don't need to open up a separate Window to use it.

What really is disheartening me is that MS is going to discontinue Win XP supports, updates, etc. while having created Windows 7. (I am too lazy to look up the last date of WXP support.)

Windows 7 according to the Dell techs with whom I have spoken is built off of Vista.

This is called "evolution".

Lots of people are a bit annoyed because Vista is not exactly the same as XP.

(End of XP support is in 2014.)

Win7 is obviously built off of WinVista...Not doing so would be very, very, very stupid. Lots of compatibility things. And Vista is good. Waaaaay better than XP, even if 90% of users cannot really see it (most of Vista changes are internal)

Piriform French translator

Originally they wanted Windows7 to be an OS that ran on WinFS, a new filing system higher than NTFS. But I guess development on that newer filing system would take too long to fully develop, given the rush job they're presenting for W7. So they based it on Vista, and from what I've heard so far it's faster in response. And there's a capability (prolly more $ involved) that will make it XP compatible.

Hey guy's ;)

I've been using Vista for about 6 months now and initially it did take some getting used too.

Vista's search function is not as straight-ford "easy to use" as XP's in my opinion.

I've use Windows XP for years, and it was very easy to find anything I searched for. Now I have a laptop that runs Windows Vista, and search does not seem to be a straightforward process. Does anyone else find this difference irritating, or is it just me?

I think its easier in Vista coz as someone say, ti has been integrated into the start menu. Nevertheless, not all search are successful. This is because either Vista Indexing service is not running or you are trying to search some registry files or sensitive windows files that by default have been put not to appear in the Vista search engine.

one of the best Desktop Search is Google desktop Its just 2MB and very powerful. An alternative is ava find . In facts ava find is more powerful than Google Desktop. What makes Google Desktop Likable is its ability to be integrated right at the Desktop dockable Either a sidebar, in the tray or just floating. You can perform also online search and add Widgets to it such as Clock WIdget, News RSS Feeds and more!

Try either of them out and you will not be disappointed. All are free!

NB: Wait for them to Index your system for say 30 minutes if you have alot of files for a faster search

Sure. You can do it in the start menu, but if you only have a word or two unique to the file you're searching for, you won't get any result! :(

It amazes me how many PC users use search functions. I'm barely familiar with those functions. I know a dog wags its tail if I search for a file etc, which is an extremely rare task for me. Seeing how much importance different browsers emphasize about their search functions I gathered that there are a lot of people who rely on search as part of their jobs and hobbies.

Hey Corona, I started this whole shebang because I search a lot. I liked XP just fine. Now this new laptop has Vista, and I'm not exactly thrilled with it. (and I miss the dog) ;)