Freeware!

rridgely

Opera have apparently no way other than suing Microsoft to promote their product. This is stupid. Are they still thinking it is impossible to have more market share than 1% because of IE ? <_<

The European Commission now (thanks Opera) want Microsoft to include all other browsers in Windows.

...They want Microsoft to advertise their competitors. :blink:

Their "Opera Unite" which would "reinvent the web" was really not a revolution. FilesOverMiles is better - no need to download anything or create a profile.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

Ah yes that.

My own point of view in this is that Microsoft should be allowed to have IE installed but include an uninstaller for it, then people can decide for themselves.

I personally like Opera but have nothing against IE8, I just happen to use Opera.

Any company will try it's best to get the market share.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I don't know, but I love Firefox.

I tried Opera a few days back. Yes it's pretty fast, faster than Firefox too, I think.

But I'm just too much into FF to give it up <3 :P

Simplicity is hard.

Sorry, but this is wrong. The only reason you don't need an anti-virus on Linux is because there are only a few virus for Linux.

Secunia says Linux Kernel 2.6 has 342 vulnerabilities. 6% of those are unpatched...

Yes but Linux vulnerabilities are actually getting patched. MS just wants you tu buy an expensive anti-virus product. And because those vulnerabilities are patched so fast there really is no need for anti-virus

PC Specs: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (2x 3GHz), 1GB RAM, 500GB internal HDD & 500 GB external HDD (both kinda full)

Laptop Specs: eeePC 1000HE, Ubuntu 9.4 (OS), Intel Atom 1.66 GHz (2x 1.66GHz), 1GB RAM, 160GB Interal HDD

What I support: GNU, Free Software Foundation, Ubuntu (Linux-based free Operating system)

Yes but Linux vulnerabilities are actually getting patched. MS just wants you tu buy an expensive anti-virus product. And because those vulnerabilities are patched so fast there really is no need for anti-virus

Please, don't say stupid things.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/04/...sun-slowest.ars

;)

Piriform French translator

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
I went to this site and they are not free to try. I registered and they want money for a year to start.????

DVD Shrink

Edit the size of DVD's to make them fit on one disc, enables you to cut out things like special features and menus. Also is very good for editing home videos as well.

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

I hope you didn't pay any money over.

DVD Shrink is well known on here, but there will be newer members/non members who aren't aware of it, so worth posting again.

Your link doesn't work, so here's a better download location, which also has tutorials posted for stuff like this.

DVD Shrink: (Afterdawn)

I hope you didn't pay any money over.

DVD Shrink is well known on here, but there will be newer members/non members who aren't aware of it, so worth posting again.

Your link doesn't work, so here's a better download location, which also has tutorials posted for stuff like this.

DVD Shrink: (Afterdawn)

I'll just add that I took Dennis's advice to try DVDShrink and couldn't be happier. ;)

I'm in love with Rainmeter and Fences right now. :wub:

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Powershadow 2.6 is apparently still available for free. smile.gif

It is a great app for protecting you if all else fails. When you restart, any changes (good or bad) made while it was running are gone. I have never found any exceptions in years of using ver. 2.82, but of course nothing is fireproof if the fire is big enough. Also have used ver. 2.6 in a virtual machine and could not tell any difference except the color of the notices in the corners of the window.

The link below says shareware, but the activation code works, and it comes up "Registered Version" after you enter it. I recently installed it and it still works.

The installer can be had here,

and the activation code is here in post number 12, also quite a bit of information about the app.

edit apr 2010: 2.6 is glitchy compared to 2.82, which isn't available at all anymore. Sometimes 2.6 fails to start. Sometimes it gives an odd message that '...the instruction could not be "written"', even if it was not running. Just an FYI. Still seems a good app.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

If you're talking about Fences (according to another forum "Fences loads as part of explorer", and my explorer mem usage is currently at : 36mb) , there's no noticeable difference between running it and running without. Same with Rainmeter ( which uses 14mb of ram, and doesn't use processor power), but if you're talking about the other program, i dunno.

Currently, I'm running :

Firefox, Pidgin, Avira, Rainmeter, Fences, Firefox Preloader and I'm using 523mb of my 2gb ram (200mb of which is firefox), and the rest is smaller programs.

In the last hour, my cpu usage was at highest 8%, at lowest 1%. ( Athlon 64 x2 4400+ )

So, no discernable difference.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

What about performance? Like memory usage, processor usage etc. etc.?

Nothing noticeable, if it had any kind of performance hit I wouldn't use it. It doesn't run in the background (not in its own process anyway) and not noticed any effect on explorer performance.

The only negatives I've found with it (which would maybe be solved by running in its own process, don't know) is that it doesn't organise the desktop immediately at startup, but then I'm probably just being picky as were only talking a few seconds.

Though rather more annoyingly, it seems to save placement and visibility of desktop items in the registry and doesn't delete them when they are no longer on the desktop leaving invalid items in the registry that require a regular sweep with Regseeker to clear out (CCleaner doesn't pick the up and a winapp2 entry isn't possible because there is no way to select just the single invalid entries as far as I can see)

I've just started using fences and am not noticing any performance difference either.

Only very slight annoyances (ignore-able IMO):

1. sometimes if i rename a shortcut in a fence it will disappear, and I can only get it back by refreshing (hit F5)

2. If i make a box too big I haven't found an option "center" the icons, they stick to the left.

(I just have to re-size the box to make it look right)

fireryone

I only ever had one real big problem w/ it. I double-clicked once, and a window was hiding the boxes... When I minimized... THE BOX WAS GONE. I panicked. I didn't know that double-clicking hides the fences. <_<