Floppy Disk - Who remembers these?

Tasgandy

I came across a interesting and short article that recounts the history of the Floppy Disk, thought it may be of interest to someone out there, especially if they can remember 1971..........yes folks that's how old the floppy disk is. Who invented it? how did it progress to present day?

To find out more go to:Floppy Disk History :blink:

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

It's very easy for me to remember since I still have a 1.44MB 3 1/2 one in my 2003 circa WinXP Pro system. I rarely use it though.

They're also very flammable, so I don't recommend anyone using fire to destroy them as you could very easily have an out of control fire in a heartbeat.

Nice link here about floppies.

The car is for Andavari :lol:

http://www.greenecoservices.com/20-ways-to-reuse-floppy-discs/

Good one Hazelnut, wish I had seen this before "chucking" out a great heap of floppy's...........Hey I just found I still have 4 x 1.33MB disks, now I know what to do with them. There are some great suggestion tabled there.

I also found in the bottom of the drawer one FUjiTSU 640MB MO disk (magneto optical) and several PC 100MB ZIP disks...........I best not look down in my shed, goodness knows what I will find......I know there's a SCSI CD ROM Drive and 2 Adaptec SCSI cards there. :o

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Good one Hazelnut, wish I had seen this before "chucking" out a great heap of floppy's...........Hey I just found I still have 4 x 1.33MB disks, now I know what to do with them. There are some great suggestion tabled there.

I also found in the bottom of the drawer one FUjiTSU 640MB MO disk (magneto optical) and several PC 100MB ZIP disks...........I best not look down in my shed, goodness knows what I will find......I know there's a SCSI CD ROM Drive and 2 Adaptec SCSI cards there. :o

I just recycled a ZIP Drive and a bunch of ZIP discs last year.. along with a Tape Deck and many 2GB tapes :unsure:

• Moderators

sigh. . . I remember when a computer was a floppy disc . . . insert OS disc start computer os loads to (infinitesimal) local RAM eject disc insert program disc type LOAD monstermash play game

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I still have a box full of 5 1/4" floppy disks, I somehow doubt they're sellable. :)

floppy_disks.jpg

Anyone remember the old days when AOL would send their bloody CDs in the post every month??

They made really good coffee / beers mats. :D

Richard S.

• Moderators

HA RedHawk, I actually have a "Hippy Curtain" made out of old AOL CDs

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 8 months later...

HEHEHEHEHE....I still have NEW 5.25" 360 and HD floppies, 3.5" 720 & 1.44 disks, a notcher to turn 360 to HD, a tool to drill out the extra hole to convert 720k to 1.44mg.....wait there's more.......I bet no one has this......a 5.25"/3.5" combo floppy drive. :lol: I would eventually like to make the combo drive to work via USB so I can archive the floppies. :P

25qd6wl.jpg

• Moderators

Makes me wonder.... If you get a newer external USB floppy drive, will Windows 7 recognize it as a drive ready for "ready boost"?

The thought of it is so funny! I mean, I know performance would drastically decrease.

Try to prefetch stuff on it: /prefetch :lol:

HEHEHEHEHE....I still have NEW 5.25" 360 and HD floppies, 3.5" 720 & 1.44 disks, a notcher to turn 360 to HD, a tool to drill out the extra hole to convert 720k to 1.44mg.....wait there's more.......I bet no one has this......a 5.25"/3.5" combo floppy drive. :lol: I would eventually like to make the combo drive to work via USB so I can archive the floppies. :P

Anybody remember the old IBM punch cards? Punch out your job, enter it into the card reader, come back tommorrow and see if it ran or aborted. Hi tech stuff, it was. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.