• McAfee
    • Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

I use MSSE and I like it a lot. It barely uses any ram, and runs in the background. It's using 28,412K right now on my system, and it updates its definitions about 3 times a day (also can be done through Windows Update)

If you wanna test out your anti virus, and how fast it reacts to threats, open a text file and put this text in

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H* 

See how fast it takes your antivirus to react to it :)

Agreed winapp I use MSSE very underated I have tried most and have settled with MSSE.

• Moderators

Microsoft Security Essentials while good however does run heavy on Windows XP, just see near the end of the Softpedia.com editors review of it for version 1 about the XP high resource and CPU usage, that comment still holds true even for version 2. I've had it installed a few times though in the past when having issues with Avast or AntiVir however I always end up removing it when the problem with the other antivirus is fixed.

I use MSSE and I like it a lot. It barely uses any ram, and runs in the background. It's using 28,412K right now on my system, and it updates its definitions about 3 times a day (also can be done through Windows Update)

If you wanna test out your anti virus, and how fast it reacts to threats, open a text file and put this text in

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H* 

See how fast it takes your antivirus to react to it :)

Interesting test, Thank-you!

Here is what I found....

Windows XP with Symantec's AV - Alerted and quarantined as soon as I saved it.

Vista with MSE - Alerted and quarantined as soon as I saved it.

Windows 7 with AVG - Nothing. No reaction even when I scanned the folder the file was saved in. Since I have experienced quite a few false positives in the past with AVG I thought for sure it wouldn't fail this test.

• Moderators

Interesting test, Thank-you!

Here is what I found....

Windows XP with Symantec's AV - Alerted and quarantined as soon as I saved it.

Vista with MSE - Alerted and quarantined as soon as I saved it.

Windows 7 with AVG - Nothing. No reaction even when I scanned the folder the file was saved in. Since I have experienced quite a few false positives in the past with AVG I thought for sure it wouldn't fail this test.

It's simply the EICAR antivirus test file. Try saving it as something else rather than a text file because some av's ignore it completely if in a text document, try saving as: eicar.bat, eicar.com, etc., and it should find it. Or you can download it from the official Eicar website: http://www.eicar.org...s_test_file.htm

I always try out EICAR if testing a new av to see how the detection/results display window is, it's a good and completely safe way to test your av before dealing with a real malicious detection.

It's simply the EICAR antivirus test file. Try saving it as something else rather than a text file because some av's ignore it completely if in a text document, try saving as: eicar.bat, eicar.com, etc., and it should find it. Or you can download it from the official Eicar website: http://www.eicar.org...s_test_file.htm

I always try out EICAR if testing a new av to see how the detection/results display window is, it's a good and completely safe way to test your av before dealing with a real malicious detection.

You are correct. I saved it as a .exe file and AVG alerted & quarantined when I opened the folder the test file was saved to. Although AVG detected the test file, it didn't detect the test file when it was initially saved like the other two AV programs did.

• Moderators

AVG's settings probably need to be tweaked then on that system, some av's don't exactly have the strongest settings enabled by default to be more resource friendly for lower-end systems. Although for the life of me I don't see how anyone can put up with the super bloated AVG.

Well I got rid of AVG although it didn't want to go quietly. AVG's uninstall program kept crashing. Finally got the system cleaned up and replaced it with MSE.

• Moderators

One thing I learned quickly after installing MSE is that it doesn't like Windows Defender, which is also an MS product. Gotta turn Defender off. Then things will go peachy.

It just disables it. I never had much use for Windows Defender myself though.

It just disables it. I never had much use for Windows Defender myself though.

Certain PCs' will automatically disable Defender, my HP Pavilion couldn't though. So a manual disable is recommended if you can, just to be safe.

• Moderators

I've never been able to find a reg tweak to shut off Defender. Seems to be a pain to manually shut off.

Should work from inside the Defender program...

Tools then Options.

Under Administrator options, select or clear the Use Windows Defender check box, and then click Save. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Damn!....I kept turning it off the wrong way. I was shutting down the scan option and not disabling within the Administration Option. :blink:

....still gotta find a REG Tweak.

Are you sure it isn't a service, I don't know since like I've stated I only used it twice before.

If it's a service you can find it via: Start->Run->Services.msc

-or-

Use NirSoft ServiWin (freeware).

• 3 weeks later...