• McAfee
    • Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

I use Avast on my XP Home and my new XP Pro system and Avir on the old PIII.

I would use Norton only if it were the only anti virus application available and I had a system with large amounts of RAM to squander to its needs.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
LOL you killed the old thread just as I was posting in it! :lol:

Edit: Actually you didn't, my bad.

Sorry, I probably did(you can still post in it.)

I was reading a post in this part of the forum and then noticed those topics again and remembered that I meant to restart them. :P

Antivirus 2008! Works wonders! It detects 300 viruses a day on my PC! I'm so glad I have this gem of a product! And I only paid $100US for it! Per month! And the money goes directly into a Nigerian bank account!

:lol:

Seriously, I use Avast, because I like pirate language.

I know I've posted in the old topic but I'll quote it in here.

Ok my virus checker.

For 12 years I've been using McAfee in its various versions, 4.5, 6.01, 7.01 and 2006 10.0. I could download and install the updates as regular as I wanted too. Then last October when you downloaded and tried to update you get the message back can't find any McAfee products. So I bought McAfee 2006 v10.0 and installed that thinking it needed a newer version, no the same error came back.

So I downloaded AVG Free Edition 7.5.488, uninstalled McAfee. Installed AVG and downloaded the latest update and did a full scan. It picked up a virus (I can't remember the name or type) that I had in a zip file. Now this is something that McAfee couldn't find.

Now I never have my virus checker running all the time because they use up a lot of resources. I was on the web the other day, on a serial number site and it said it needed to download an ActiveX so the page/site would work. I clicked Yes and it did something for a few seconds then carried on. I get a popup from AVG said a virus spotted in Temporary Internet Files and it removed it. Now if the virus checker isn't enabled in any way how did it pick this suspect ActiveX up?

So for me I would recommend the AVG Free Edition, exellent. ;)

Now I checked out AntiVir today at it appears its only for WinNT systems so that one is out.

Now I also posted in the old topic that AVG were stopping support and updates for 7.5 at the end of August. Now they have decided to postponed the demise of 7.5.

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?1,146520,backpage=,sv=

until more users start using v8.0

Now I read a post on here this lunchtime Why use Defraggler? and davey posted a link to http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/search/label/Thumbs%20Up which talks about Defraggler and Is Your Anti-Virus Program Working?.

Now the EICAR test file talks about making a test file in NotePad and saving it as a *.com file. Now I made this file 7 years ago after reading the McAfee help file and it worked then.

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Just copy and paste this into NotePad and save it as a Virus.com or any name providing it has a .com extension then scan the file or folder to see if you virus checker picks it up.

Now at work we use McAfee 8.5 and I made a test file and scanned it but nothing showed up. So I downloaded the test file from the External links at the bottom and tried to unzip eicar.com but it wouldn't let me because its a virus threat. Now I don't know what the difference is between my file and eicar.com they are both 68 bytes as stated. But the file is still picked up as a virus threat, try your virus checkers to see what they report. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Am still using AVG 7.5 as Primary but I switch back and forth with Avast using three providers.

These are the only ones that us low RAM users can use without serious slow down.

Some small company is going to take over the "New World" market for security on these new tiny systems. They are going to get a good bit of the market share because of this. That is if one of the "Big, Big Guys" doesn't pickup the ball and run with it.

The one that protects the most "little guys" is going to pickup a big piece of change.

Let's face it, there are a few billion "little guys" running around Asia right now.

:) davey

• Moderators
Now the EICAR test file talks about making a test file in NotePad and saving it as a *.com file. Now I made this file 7 years ago after reading the McAfee help file and it worked then.

The official EICAR test file is located at: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

If anyone is trying out a new AV scanner they should always test it using EICAR which is a 100% safe way to test out resident protection, and on-demand scanning. That way they'll know beforehand how their AV or other anti-malware will react to a possible real infection, if/when that happens.

Let's face it, there are a few billion "little guys" running around Asia right now.

:lol:

The official EICAR test file is located at: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

I know that its at the bottom of wikipedia.org I was just quoting Davey link.

As I've said this test text is nothing new I read it in the McAfee help file 7 years ago. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 2 weeks later...