• Other
    • None

I use AntiVir Personal.

I also like Norton as well :P

Proud Graduate of GeekU - Learn how to remove malware

unite_teal.png

Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

UBgrey.png

My help is always free, but if you can, please donate_2.gif to help me continue the fight against malware.

Well I'm back to Avast, as my NOD32 license will run out soon.

I'm in the same position with NOD32, but I think I'll head back to my trusty Avira. I tried Avast years ago, and I think the reason I didn't like it was it slowed my system down or something along those lines.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I'm in the same position with NOD32, but I think I'll head back to my trusty Avira. I tried Avast years ago, and I think the reason I didn't like it was it slowed my system down or something along those lines.

I used Avast Pro too and had no problem at all in my system ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Avira Antivir free. I used to use AVG but that got very naggy. I love Antivir's interface and its configurability.

My update is scheduled every two hours ... I know ... overkill :)

And if I hadn't suppressed the nag screen that would probably annoy the hell out of me.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I will soon switch to Panda Cloud AV, I'm thinking.

I have tried Panda Cloud and it just will not work on my pc make sure you set a restore point before downloading cos I had to do a recovery after trying it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Avira Free has a nice interface, and options, but on dialup has become a humungous joke.... :lol: their servers are soooooo overloaded there has been heaps of problems with the Free version. All you have to do is go look in their forums. Moreover, I have NEVER heard of having to DL the update file where you have to manually go and get it and its like 30 odd MBS!!!! :blink: This is after chronic errors after you try and update. Youre expected to do this everytime you update. :blink:

What a standing joke for us on dialup. :angry:

I dont mind someone charging for their software, when they clearly state that is so. But when their "solution" to fix their free version is to upgrade to the paid version I think that SUCKS. They should do the right thing and get rid of their free version.

Im currently looking at what freebies are available, WITHOUT being resource hogs and weighing the system down. Thats the reason I had to ditch AVG.

Musical

Use Panda Cloud AV. Not only is it one of the BEST freeware AVs, but you also don't have to update it, since it's cloud based. From my personal experience with it, I'd say go for it. I liked it a lot! It's also good for dial up users since there's no updating!

Well Avira Free has a nice interface, and options, but on dialup has become a humungous joke.... :lol: their servers are soooooo overloaded there has been heaps of problems with the Free version.

I was complaining about Avira earlier in the year when they had big download issues, but I haven't had a single problem with Free Avira since they sorted their servers out a month or two back ... so I'm more than happy to stick with them.

Well Im not sure Marmite if you are amongst those of us who are of the unfortunate fraternity ( dialup is our own realistic choice at this point) but I just went to the forums and it looks like its the same old same old. The post titles say it all and these are all on the latest page when I looked....

Updating - WinINet error

can't install updates

Update no longer working

Avira won't update automatically

Update Issue

Re: Avira antivir personal v.9 have problem with it's updater in performing update.

Update error

Also... Imagine your typical Grannies and Grandpa's doing this geeksville stuff !!! :blink:

QUOTE:

Thursday, November 19th 2009, 4:08pm

New update scheme

Hi everybody,

Today Avira changed the update scheme in order to improve update speed and size.

Because of this, update servers are/will be very crowded (download size is about 30 Mb). Please be patient and use the following command to update:

"C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\update.exe" /DM="0" "/NOMESSAGEBOX /receivetimeout=180"

For 64 bit systems, the command is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\update.exe" /DM="0" "/NOMESSAGEBOX /receivetimeout=180"

(copy/paste this entirely in Start -> Run and press Enter).

UNQUOTE

Ive given up on Avira and will be looking elsewhere... :rolleyes:

Icedrake, this sounds interesting... care to explain a bit about this? I mean Im not familiar with any antivirus prog that doesnt require updating <_<

Musical

Well Avira Free has a nice interface, and options, but on dialup has become a humungous joke.... laugh.gif their servers are soooooo overloaded there has been heaps of problems with the Free version. All you have to do is go look in their forums. Moreover, I have NEVER heard of having to DL the update file where you have to manually go and get it and its like 30 odd MBS!!!! blink.gif This is after chronic errors after you try and update. Youre expected to do this everytime you update. blink.gif

What a standing joke for us on dialup. mad.gif

I dont mind someone charging for their software, when they clearly state that is so. But when their "solution" to fix their free version is to upgrade to the paid version I think that SUCKS. They should do the right thing and get rid of their free version.

Well as someone who was losing patience with Avira's updating I have to say it has been 100% flawless since they made the changes to their update system. Are you actually using it now or just slagging it on the basis of how bad it used to be? Of course the forums are gonna be full of people with issues, that's why they're there. You'd almost certainly see the same thing in any AV's forum.

Musical, looks like JD's recent experience is the same as mine. Maybe it is the ol' dial-up thing that's giving you grief :(

But as he says ... if you haven't actually tried it since their changes you don't really know how it would behave for you now. Maybe give it another go if that's the case.

Are you on dialup JD?

Don't see what relevance that is when you said that was an issue with the size of the manual update download. But the manual update is only necessary when the regular update system fails, and that hasn't happened to me once since they changed their update system about a month ago (and it was happening ALL the time to me before those changes)

Don't get me wrong, I was extremely p!$$ed off with the update system before, only reason I didn't change AV was simply down to never getting round to it, but I can't fault them now. If you've used it since the changes and still have issues then that's bad luck but the majority of users have no issues with the update system now and it's unfair to slate them when the issues you described are the exact issues that were fixed.

Icedrake, this sounds interesting... care to explain a bit about this? I mean Im not familiar with any antivirus prog that doesnt require updating <_<

Sure! Here's what Panda Cloud Antivirus is all about:

The first free cloud antivirus to protect your PC against virus,spyware, rootkits, trojans

Download Panda Cloud Antivirus, the first free cloud-based antivirus thin-client. It consists of a lightweight antivirus agent that is connected in real-time to PandaLabs' online Collective Intelligence servers to protect faster against the newest malware variants while barely impacting PC performance.

Thanks to Panda Security's Collective Intelligence malware and goodware online database, Panda Cloud Antivirus detects more malware than traditional signature-based solutions which take longer to detect the most recent, and therefore most dangerous, variants. Panda Cloud Antivirus protects you while you browse, play or work and you won't even notice it.

It is extremely light as all the work is done online in the cloud. Panda Cloud Antivirus provides you with the fastest protection against the newest viruses thanks to its cloud-scanning from PandaLabs' servers. Panda Cloud Antivirus is truly install and forget. Don't worry about updates, configuration or complicated decisions ever again.

Panda Cloud Antivirus will protect you while you browse, play or even work and you won?t even notice it running on your computer.

Here are some key features of "Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition":

The fastest in detecting new viruses:

? Our network of Collective Intelligence servers identifies and processes viruses automatically in a fraction of the time required by laboratory technicians.

Designed with you in mind:

? Now you can forget about tiresome antivirus products with incessant notifications and difficult questions. Panda Cloud Antivirus works for you without annoying you.

Updates are history:

? The real key to Panda Cloud Antivirus is in the Collective Intelligence servers. That's why you'll always have maximum detection capacity without relying on traditional updates.

Detects more than anyone else:

? The Panda servers have a database of millions of viruses allowing Panda Cloud Antivirus to detect the multitude of threats that appear every day.

It's a great antivirus from my personal experience. I even like it better than most of the other free av's like Avast and AntiVir. The only reason I switched to MSE after using Panda Cloud AV, was because I liked MSE's appearance better. And they are both excellent AV's so in protection terms, it wasn't really a big deal. ;)

... Im not familiar with any antivirus prog that doesnt require updating ...

Me neither :blink: !! I've struggled to find much in the way of objective information. Panda Cloud AV still requires updating ... it just doesn't do it in the conventional way ... more 'behind the scenes' I guess. Here are a couple of articles ... http://research.pandasecurity.com/ and http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-sec...cles/59809.aspx

Thanks Marmite and Icedrake for the comments. When I get some time I'll go check out this option.

"Don't see what relevance that is when you said that was an issue with the size of the manual update download."

Well if you dont know what the relevance is then I wont bother telling you. Im not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer with my understanding of computers etc blaaaah and so if its a no brainer to me Im sure you could work it out if you tried. :rolleyes: Moreover if you want to get into a slanging match with me forget it. Im entitled to my opinion which is based on my experiences. If you read my posts you would come to realise that Im NOT just "slagging off" and "slating" them unfairly at all. If you read their info they STILL have up on their forums which I quoted in my post it doesnt appear to be updated anywhere. If you can find it please show a link. Thanks, Id be most grateful. :)

Sure youre going to get newbies and or those who just moan for the sake of it on ANY forum but I dont think everyone in these types of forums are as such.

Just like you JD and I can ASSURE you for different reasons, I have not been "following up" in the last month or so what Avira is up to. I have had much more pressing issues to deal with than to keep abreast of any hope of changes being made, after, as you state, but putting it in nicer language, getting VERY brassed off with them. As this stuff went on and on and on for months, I think I can be forgiven for not holding out any hope that things would change in the last month. You guys can say what you like but overall they could have handled it better.

Where Im from I heard some recent stats that in my country (NZ) 45% are still on dial-up. I think we can safely discard the "bad luck" theory.

Joanne