• Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

• 3 weeks later...
I still use AVG 7.5 because its free thou I did have to do a reinstall over the weekend because it stopped updating again.

Not any more I've switched to Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1296. AVG has been a pain in the backside for 6 months or more, it won't do any updates. I've tried a repair but that makes no difference I have to uninstall and reinstall then it takes two and a half hours to download the updates (dialup). I save all the previous updates and I tell it where to look but it always says there are no current updates in there.

Avast took 40 minutes to update. Mind you the Avast is newer Jan 09, AVG Free Edition 7.5.524 was then last version that ran on Win98SE Apr 08. Avast isn't as easy to do the updates as AVG was you just clicked a button on there. Avast you have to click loads of links until you get to database then click update. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

None,

I have browser sentinel running with xp's firewall and thats it.

Firefox with noscript & netcraft toolba mixed with common sense is all you need.

Probably the best AV is preivx IMO, but free def avast

No fate but what we make

Oh I've had another change ClamWin 0.95.1. A friend of mine recommended it as he builds servers and web sites. As regards the updates its only 5 days old so it only takes a few minutes to update whereas AVG 7.5.524 took two and half hours. And its free and it works on all Windows versions.

Now I had Avast! on for a few weeks but I didn't actually like the way it did things. I thought I would do a full scan not that I have any virus's because the initial screen said no scan done. It started running so I thought I would make a brew I came back and it had stopped. Now every other scan I've used you would see a report of the number of files/folders scanned and the result with Avast! it shows nothing and it just closes. After the scan it still shows scan not done. Another thing is the updates take a long time to install. When the message says installing/updating so I which of my connection and a message comes back unable to connect to Avast!

Now the beauty and simplicity of AVG it the progress bar shows the download and after it has finished it shows closing connection. It also shows the last time you downloaded the update and the last time you did a scan whether it was short or long.

Its a pity we can't adjust the poll as no one yet has used ClamWin so you can add 1 for ClamWin and remove 1 of Grisoft. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Currently running: none

Never had malware problems in the past with my old computer. I'm just savoring my moments with the new computer with only XP + router's firewall and Common Sense?.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have used Kaspersky for 2 years now. I also use this at the Office. I have also used McAfee and avast. McAfee was not able to pick some antivirus and I suffered a lot from system crashes. I then changed over to Avast which was much better in networks attacks rather than file protection better than Mcafee but still I suffered. I tried Kaspersky for windows workstations and upto now,from 2007 my system has never crashed or attacked online! :D So I stuck to it/ Now, what determines the antivirus to use?

i has kaperskyIS is a good one,but know i swithced to avira home free.and let me tell ya,is a great,great product.

plus i have firewall from router and windows firewall...from time to time i run malwarebytes..but since avira,,MB hasn't found anything.

I know use Microsoft security essentials and despite what people think about it I have tried them all now and will now stick with it .

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I've changed back to Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1296 as I wasn't sure that ClamWin was scanning correctly. It kept says Trojan in a Setup.bat file. A batch file is just a set of DOS/cmd instructions it may execute a file to carry these out but I've edited the bat file and I can't see anything wrong. It did pick up on a Trojan in and old exe file I had but I never used it, its part of VB. Avast picked up on the same file but I told it to ignore.

Anyway I've done a full scan with Avast its picked up a few Malware apps that ClamWin didn't even though these were in System Volume Information which I don't have access too. I'm happy at the moment. ;)

I think we need a new Poll making this is nearly 12 months old now.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I never went back to AVG but I have moved on to Avira

Same here. I used AVG for years, and then switched to Avira and haven't looked back.

I'm considering paying for ESET NOD32 though. :unsure:

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Yeah I switched back to NOD32 a few months ago, I take my last comment back. It's worked out great. :) Avira is still almost just as good as NOD32 though. Only downside to the free version is that it doesn't have a webguard/shield type feature which NOD32 has.

• Moderators
I wasn't sure that ClamWin was scanning correctly. It kept says Trojan in a Setup.bat file. A batch file is just a set of DOS/cmd instructions it may execute a file to carry these out but I've edited the bat file and I can't see anything wrong.

I've had that issue before when using BitDefender, it always thought my now age old batch file cleaners in my Win98 backups are "Trojan.Deleters" but all they do is remove crap from the system - that was long before there was CCleaner, they're now obsolete.

Yeah I switched back to NOD32 a few months ago, I take my last comment back. It's worked out great. :) Avira is still almost just as good as NOD32 though. Only downside to the free version is that it doesn't have a webguard/shield type feature which NOD32 has.

I just upgraded to Avira Premium.It also had WebGuard like NOD32,Ice. ;)

How much memory does it use? I'll see if I can put it on my old computer.

under 5,000K ;) But I had internet access after upgrading.Now,the problem solved.Unfortunately, I just downgrade to free SAS (without real time protection).SAS Pro had confilct with Avira Premium.With WebGuard activated,my connection more faster. :)