• Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

• 2 weeks later...

using Antivir for Anti-Virus (have used AVAST! to) and love both!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• 2 weeks later...

trend anti virus for me. it does its job. warns me when needs be.

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

I use:

Avast! as my main scanner (best I have ever used)

AVG

Spybot: Search & Destroy

Google Chrome's built in anti-virus

EI Systems 1201

Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2370 1.73GHz Processor

13.3" Widescreen TFT Screen

1GB RAM

160GB HDD

Optical Drive - DVD+/-RW

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 Build 6001 (Never done me any harm)

4 x USB 2.0

VGA-Out

Headphone-Out, Mic-In

10/100 Mbit LAN

Wireless LAN b/g

Built-in speakers

IE8

Apple Safari

Mozilla Firefox

Google Chrome

Eng (UK) Keyboard

• 3 weeks later...

I was doing a search on youtube and I came across TOP TEN ANTI-VIRUS IN 2008. There were a few videos on this subject

, The best anti-virus program i have ever found (and its free), avast vs norton vs kaspersky, Avg vs avast and
, there are others on there.

I still use AVG 7.5 because its free thou I did have to do a reinstall over the weekend because it stopped updating again. Most videos say that Norton sucks. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE avast! Antivirus. it's my realtime protection

also I use SUPERAntiSpyware Pro and Malwarebytes' Antimalware as On-Demand Scanner :)

Most People Respect the Badge. Everyone Respects the Gun.

Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x86, AVIRA Premium Security Suite 9, Google Chrome 5 Beta (WOT, Xmarks, Chrome Flags), Sandboxie, Malwarebytes Antimalware, Hitman Pro, HostsMan, Roboform, UPEK PSQL.

Virtual Machine(s): Sun VirtualBox, Windows XP Pro SP3, AVIRA Premium Security Suite Beta 2010.

AVG v.8 for me.

I used AVAST on my Vista Ulitimate PC, and ran extremely slow, don't know why.

I used Norton's back in the years when the Anti-Virus and Firewall were seperate programs, when they made them in to one it all went wrong.

Shame, originally was a good anti-virus program.

Mark

AVG v.8 for me.

I used AVAST on my Vista Ulitimate PC, and ran extremely slow, don't know why.

I used Norton's back in the years when the Anti-Virus and Firewall were seperate programs, when they made them in to one it all went wrong.

Shame, originally was a good anti-virus program.

Mark

I have been faithful to AVG for a number of years, but, I have to say that I'm not a big fan of v.8.

It frequently fails to update - and takes ages to perform scans - it also makes the system come to a crawl whilst scanning..

I have just converted to Avira (literally just - since Sunday to be precise!) and, up to know, I am suitably impressed. Various websites sing their praises and the detection rate is one of the best - and much better than AVG.

I did worry a little when I saw that it didn't have an email scanner but was comforted by various reviews stating that it wasn't strictly necessary - as all files where checked when attempting to be opened.

I use Avast Home Free Edition. Antivir is also a good one but Avast has Anti-Spyware and Anti-Rootkit included, it also monitors popular messaging and P2P applications. It works on my Windows Se7en setup ;)

How can I use a picture as a signature?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently testing AVG 8.5 after having just upgraded from 7.5. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it, it has slowed down my computer start-up time, doubling it - the Resident Shield is causing that particular problem and it's happening on both my XP PC and Vista Laptop. There are a few other issues I have with it, mainly it making my computer slower in responding and I have the scan option disabled so that isn't the issue. For example, it slows down the speed at which icons load and there seems to be an annoying lag of a second or two when I try to do something, like trying to open a program or a file.

I tried Avast Home Free edition a few months ago when AVG 7.5 was originally going to be discontinued but preferred AVG 7.5 (the computer started quicker) so went back to that. I'm sticking with AVG 8.5 until I can say I've given it a decent chance but the way it causes the computer (both of them) to start slower and the way it seems to cause both PC and laptop to be sluggish isn't endearing me to it. To be honest I can see me changing my anti-virus program in the near future so I'm following this thread with interest for tips of what to use.

The one thing I will say: why do program manufacturers sometimes "improve" a product by making it bloated and run slower? It happened with Zone Alarm in 2006 so I had to change my firewall and now it seems to have happened with AVG too - a lovely little, smooth running program has become anything but a lovely little, smooth running program...

NONE, I don't use AV anymore.

I used an AV for 10 years and NOT ONCE did it ever "protect" me from anything except a few false positives. It took 30 seconds of startup time on every bootup, and several minutes per system scan (not to mention CPU/RAM usage), so i killed it. :-D

I use the hpHosts file, my yahoo mail has built-in Norton AV, i applied the SpywareBlaster protection, and i use the Windows firewall. I don't visit shady websites or install unknown programs so i don't see where the risk is. If i get paranoid i can do a free online AV scan every few months.

Running realtime AV when all you do is routine email/research/chat is a bit like wearing a bulletproof vest to buy groceries and go to the library. Just my opinion-- an opinion that is usually ridiculed. It is what it is. :)

• 2 weeks later...