• McAfee
    • Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

I got NOD free from a contest once, tried it, and it seemed almost as hoggish as my old Norton AV from the late 90s. I don't care what the comparative test results were at the time, I want smooth & invisible. NOD didn't do that.

If you have Vista or Win 7 (64 bit with at least 6 gigs ram), I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials. They've been fantastic with me so far. And it's free.

Otherwise, get the free version of Avast. They're also excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used AVG free for years until it let a virus slip through and did some serious damage to my Vista 32-bit laptop. Since then it's ESET Smart Security 4. No problems since then. Effortless updating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I'm now giving Comodo Antivirus a spin, and so far I really like it! I haven't used it in years since its "humble" beginnings and wow has it grown up!

It's surprisingly light on the system (WinXP SP3) without any heavy sluggish impact from real-time protection. The scanning speed is more realistic/sane and is what I can put up with at about 42 minutes for a full system scan when compared against; Microsoft Security Essentials at 65 minutes, and Panda Cloud Antivirus Free at 84 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Free version of Antivir, use it since years and am happy with it. I tried quite a few, mainly years ago, todays i focused on "the best tips" mainly. I only tried it, sad that it costs money, but i can also from my experience recommend NOD32. In the past beneath antivir and maybe also Panda(quite crapy today...) Avast stod out to be a really good antivirus that provided me good protection and good scanning results(at least in the tests i did back a few years ago), similiar to antivir and NOD32. Some claim NOD32 is better then Antivir, so if you want to spend the money for it I would recommend it definitely.

I'm now giving Comodo Antivirus a spin, and so far I really like it! I haven't used it in years since its "humble" beginnings and wow has it grown up!

It's surprisingly light on the system (WinXP SP3) without any heavy sluggish impact from real-time protection. The scanning speed is more realistic/sane and is what I can put up with at about 42 minutes for a full system scan when compared against; Microsoft Security Essentials at 65 minutes, and Panda Cloud Antivirus Free at 84 minutes.

Oh ho thats quite some news. From what I knew the comodo antivirus was indeed "humble"^^ Maybe we have an interesting newcomer with Comodo antivirus in the future.

• Moderators

I use Windows XP sp3 and None antivirus

Just extra Firewall and boxguarded processes

unless "none" is a brand I find this post to be dangerous to look at

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Oh ho thats quite some news. From what I knew the comodo antivirus was indeed "humble"^^ Maybe we have an interesting newcomer with Comodo antivirus in the future.

Don't get too excited. I ended up removing it because it went berserk on my system and I don't know how it was behaving so good to turn into problem. That and uninstalling it is damn near impossible without a system backup image to restore from because the uninstaller doesn't work!!!

unless "none" is a brand I find this post to be dangerous to look at

Going "Commando" as it's called with no antivirus installed is dangerous regardless of how advanced someone may be on a computer.

• Moderators

I'm now trying Norton AntiVirus Online since my ISP offers it for free. So far not too bad, however the rebooting after a LiveUpdate is rather annoying. At least it runs a little smoother on my system than MSE although the scanning time compared to MSE is almost identical.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get too excited. I ended up removing it because it went berserk on my system and I don't know how it was behaving so good to turn into problem. That and uninstalling it is damn near impossible without a system backup image to restore from because the uninstaller doesn't work!!!

ouch thats bad news^^ Well seems like comodo antivirus still stays something one should better not install. As always, as long as it provides me good results and good testing results, i will stick to antivir and MBAM against malware.

I've heard folks using Shadow Defender and not running any AV. Not sure if that is a good idea yet, but I can see running it without UAC or System Restore.

I've thought about doing that with Powershadow here, just never had courage enough to do it. :P

But there is this: Say you are running your OS virtually, like with Powershadow, Returnil, Acronis Try & Decide, etc, and all changes will be gone after a restart. Now you get a bug while on the computer, and it begins to do its dirty work. You don't know it while it is working, and don't know it after a restart either because the changes are gone.

The bug will not persist, but it may have leaked or captured something while it was working. A malware detector setup would have warned you.

That make any sense at all?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

The bug will not persist, but it may have leaked or captured something while it was working. A malware detector setup would have warned you.

That make any sense at all?

Absolutely. Key loggers and such can upload your data while you are virtual. Returnil, Sandboxie, etc cannot prevent this. You need AV running. I use Avast.

EXACTLY. I am still tweaking Shadow Defender, but still see a need for AV/Firewall as I keep my apps on a separate drive. Mind you that not all APPS are kept on a separate drive, but just my portable apps which don't require installation. I can see how my apps would be protected that have been install on my OS/Protected volume, but my Firefox is on my Apps volume. Though it is also a portable, an add-on can sneak on and if I did not have any protection, who knows what could happen.

25qd6wl.jpg

Absolutely. Key loggers and such can upload your data while you are virtual. Returnil, Sandboxie, etc cannot prevent this. You need AV running. I use Avast.

Using a sandbox with default settings, the above is true. But it's relatively easy to harden the sandbox (I do so for banking) so that the only program with internet access is your browser. And you can also identify in the sandbox which programs have permission to start/run. Any keyloggers that may be in that sandbox are neutered.

uninstalling it is damn near impossible without a system backup image to restore from because the uninstaller doesn't work!!!

Which Uninstaller ?

The built in facility via Windows Control Panel to Add/Remove/Configure/etc,

or the recent Tool provided on the User community at

https://forums.comod...-t71897.0.html.

Several years ago I was a victim of the original Firewall only version.

An upgrade needed a clean install and refused because of conflicts with UN-removed remnants.

There was a User community supplied script that also failed due to access permission issues.

I found that 2000 registry keys and values were frozen solid,

probably because they were "owned" by my daughter and her profile when she installed Comodo,

and I was a new administrator with different profile and RegEdit could not purge them.

I found that a different "super" registry editor could purge them and then the upgrade proceeded.

Very recently the community script has been superseded by the tool

https://forums.comod...s-t71897.0.html

This seems to solve the removal problem for the majority of people.

• Moderators

Which Uninstaller ?

The built in facility via Windows Control Panel to Add/Remove/Configure/etc,

or the recent Tool provided on the User community at

https://forums.comod...-t71897.0.html.

The built in uninstaller. The only thing it removed was the Add/Remove uninstall link but I was able to get completely rid of it thanks to the Macrium Reflect image I made before installing it since I knew from previous Comodo software that uninstalling may not work at all.

What Anti-Virus do you use?

Windows 7

Microsoft built in Firewall

Microsoft Security essentials

Been using this free virus scanner from microsoft, along with windows built in firewall, for a couple of years, never had any problems.

I use Ccleaner to clear out any junk.

Microsoft must have a better idea than anyone of what to protect as they designed the operating system and they are hardly likely to put a rubbish firewall and virus scanner to protect thier operating systems.

You dont need third party security the above is all Free!

Megawatt91

Microsoft must have a better idea than anyone of what to protect as they designed the operating system and they are hardly likely to put a rubbish firewall and virus scanner to protect thier operating systems.

A sceptic might say they can't even make their own operating system secure (if it was they wouldn't need anti-malware ;)) so why would you trust their antivirus. Not that I'm a sceptic of course :P