The Stuxnet Worm

DennisD

• Moderators

yup, it has countries running to beef up national firewalls (for those that have them) but like everything else they'll get those up just in time for the next threat to surface

#WorldofTerror :(

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

More news. Well, news to me. From guardian.co.uk

E. M. Forster wrote The Machine Stops in 1909, imagine. This links to it but is isn't too quick to read. LINK

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

The guys who write these programs are nothing short of brilliant, albeit a misguided brilliance.

The most interesting thing I've ever read connected with this stuff is an article called "The Enemy Within", which may have been originally posted on here some time back, I'm not sure.

I began reading this article, which is written more or less in the style of a novel, with the half interest I usually give to journalistic endeavours, but before long I was totally locked in to this story.

It really is an amazing article, and enthralled me from start to finish. I keep it bookmarked, as like a good novel, it's worth reading more than once.

It mightn't grab others in that way, but have a read, you might enjoy it.

The Enemy Within: (The Conficker Computer “worm”)

Yep, I got hooked and read it all again.

This time developed the feeling that it is not over at all.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Here's something I didn't know about the Conficker episode.

One of the initiall main causes of Confickers spread were the millions of unvalidated and therefore unpatched illegal Windows installations, and they were given an amnesty to have their machines patched. I'm pretty sure a lot of them wouldn't have taken up that offer.

If you are a pirate Windows user, you have amnesty for critical downloads so get the Conficker patch as soon as possible. Remember, we may be forgetting about the worm, but Conficker's authors still have the capability to inflict harm. Whether that will happen is anybody's guess, but making sure your computer is secure is always the best policy.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/162570/is_conficker_finally_history.html

And it's still out there, or maybe in here. Who knows?

• 1 month later...

Why would some brilliant people use their abilities for the bad and not for the good?? I think that too much intelligence can make someone "blind" as to say misguided.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

It's probably some nerdy genius kid, has no mates, terrified of girls, squeezes his spots as a hobby, sits at his computer all day, and is pretty much pee'd off with the world in general.

He could be on here.

Why would some brilliant people use their abilities for the bad and not for the good?? I think that too much intelligence can make someone "blind" as to say misguided.

Some do so, out of defiance. To prove that the impossible really isn't impossible with the right knowledge. Mostly for notoriety, or to get known because of the brilliance of their evil. Sometimes, to do damage because of religious extremist beliefs, or other things that anger & bother them.