The Stuxnet Worm

DennisD

yup, it has countries running to beef up national firewalls (for those that have them) but like everything else they'll get those up just in time for the next threat to surface

#WorldofTerror :(

Doesn't do any good if you don't know what your doing.

Example: I had to install an antivirus for a town near here years back when I worked for a computer place. The town had over 80 viruses on their machine, not including startup entries, trojans, malware, whatever. So many, in fact, that the antivirus refused to install the normal way & I had to use a secondary method to force it to install so it could begin removing the bad little guys.

This, coupled with the fact that many towns are still using Windows 98 as a "secure" os, combined with internet explorer.

Do you know one reason why?

I will list you several. We could have updated security, but I have discovered the following:

People are very leery of upgrading because:

- It works now! Who knows if it will if I upgrade. Besides, HOW do I do an upgrade? And if I do, windows will be even more different than it is now!

- If we upgrade, there goes thousands for licensing agreements to MS. We can't afford that in our budget!

- Activation? At least 98 & 2000 don't require that. Oh well, better to be a little less secure than to have to activate & have MS know everything we are doing. Besides, what happens if MS loses an activation server, or stops supporting this windows version, or even has their servers hacked so we CAN'T activate? Better stick to what we got now!

- Firewalls? What's that? Won't that interfere with other things? Isn't that too complicated? I prefer things simple the way they are now!

- I know Windows 98, but, XP? Vista? 7? Never!

There are all kinds of reasons people do not upgrade, but this touches on a few of them. You think it is bad now? You haven't seen what is to come. Why do companies lie about security? Because they want people to feel secure, even if they are not, & they are incompetent about Windows usually, because that is not their PRIMARY job. As in, primary usually may be town mayor, fill in the blank, & everyone is like "Well, I am sure it must be good or the town wouldn't have put it in here".

Just my two cents worth, but I say, its about to get lots worse!