Ccleaner wont clean

dbaker1

• Moderators

In Windows Taskmanager look for Microsoft Edge, highlight it and click 'end task' bottom right of page.

Then use CCleaner.

It is not CCleaner who is stopping you cleaning it is Edge who recently seems to have decided to do this.

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/65724-edge-browser-not-close-these-days/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, dbaker1 said:

Ccleaner used to force it closed

say it was taking too long   , say do you want to force it to close

Ccleaner stopped doing that

I going to find something that does

Did you read my link at all?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dbaker1 said:

Ccleaner used to force it closed

say it was taking too long   , say do you want to force it to close

Ccleaner stopped doing that

It will stop asking you if you click "Don't show this message again". It will do as you clicked and stop asking you.

Uninstall and reinstall CCleaner and it will (should) start asking you again.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
7 hours ago, dbaker1 said:

Shouldnt have to use taskmanager at all

Yes but that's something microsoft changed, it's not properly exiting all the time and starts with machine idle (if you don't have windows pro and access to group policy editor)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

1. It is Microsoft that has changed how Edge functions.

2. As said above it is you yourself who has turned off the option to Force-close Edge.
You turned it off by ticking "Do not show me this message again"
image.png

And of course you cannot untick it now to turn it back on - because you have told CCleaner not to show it to you.

To get that option back now you will have to Restore CCleaner to it's default settings.
Make a note of any/all other settings that you have changed because after restoring the default settings you will need change them back to how you want them.

Open CCleaner and go to Options>Advanced.
Click "Restore Default Settings".

image.png

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

If CCleaner's settings are saved in an .INI file "ccleaner.ini" change the warning settings from False to True in it and re-save it.

I'm guessing it may be this one (could be another one altogether though), example:
ShowEdgeCleanWarning=False

Change to:
ShowEdgeCleanWarning=True

If that's just it, no need to uninstall then reinstall, or change all the settings. Those False/True settings should be in the Windows Registry if that's where CCleaner's settings are stored, but I have no advice on changing those since I only use the very easily editable .INI file ccleaner.ini.

i haven't noticed any issues with Edge.

to stop Edge from running in the bakground, after you have closed it, in Edge's settings, in "system," disable "startup boost" and "continue running Edge in the background." then Edge will actually be closed when you close it. then, when Edge is actually closed, ccleaner can remove the junk-files, like cookies and cached webpages, that are associated with it.

if those settings are already disabled, toggle them on and off again to reset them.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, dbaker1 said:

Didn't used to have the option to never see it again
I couldn't find Ccleaner ini file

The tickbox option to never see that message box again has always been there.

You will not have a ccleaner.ini file unless you have told CCleaner to always save your settings to one.
image.png

1 hour ago, dbaker1 said:

no box 

just automatically force close edge

obviously ccleaner does not do that.

if you read my post, above, you can adjust Edge's settings to where Edge actually closes when you close it, where it is not necessary for ccleaner to  force it to close. otherwise you will have to deal with the prompt where ccleaner asks you if you want it to close Edge, in order to be able to remove the junk-files that are associated with it.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

i haven't noticed any issues with Edge.

to stop Edge from running in the bakground, after you have closed it, in Edge's settings, in "system," disable "startup boost" and "continue running Edge in the background." then Edge will actually be closed when you close it. then, when Edge is actually closed, ccleaner can remove the junk-files, like cookies and cached webpages, that are associated with it.

if those settings are already disabled, toggle them on and off again to reset them.

No, edge changed something and those option aren't enough to stop edge from continuing running after exit some of the time

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

10 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

Hi dbaker1:

Open your MS Edge settings at Settings | System and Performance | System (or enter edge://settings/system in the address bar) and make sure that Startup Boost and running of background extensions and apps are toggled OFF.  If those settings are already disabled then toggle them ON and back OFF again as redwolfe_98 suggested.  That solved the problem crizal reported 16-Oct-2023 in their topic Old Problem With Edge Is Back?.

MSEdgev118_0_2088_46SettingsSystemandPerformanceStartupBoostDisabled16Oct2023.png.4abe6d2f335e480e8812829e1026996d.png

------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 Microsoft Defender v4.18.23100.2009-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2189 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.18.10838 * Firefox v120.0.0 * Microsoft Edge v119.0.2151.72

47 minutes ago, Nergal said:

No, edge changed something and those option aren't enough to stop edge from continuing running after exit some of the time

43 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Open your MS Edge settings at Settings | System and Performance | System (or enter edge://settings/system in the address bar) and make sure that Startup Boost and running of background extensions and apps are toggled OFF. 

Hi Nergal:

What Windows OS are you using? Is it Win 11 v23H2 like the OP dbaker1?

I have no problem cleaning MS Edge v119 using CCleaner Free Portable v6.18 on my Win 10 laptop using the Custom Clean feature as long as those MS Edge settings are disabled and File Explorer and my MS Edge browser are closed.  All I see is the usual warning that my files will be permanently deleted, which is what I used to see with CCleaner Free Portable v6.17.

What I see after I click Analyze and Run Cleaner ..

CCleanerv6_18CleanMSEdgeChromuimAnalyze26Nov2023.png.123d7503b46340163df9a44c95908a9d.png

... and the final "Cleaning Complete" message I see a few seconds later after I click Continue and disk clean is finished.

CCleanerv6_18CleaningComplete25Nov2023.png.0d321102a75061a337dc11609f84e572.png

------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 Microsoft Defender v4.18.23100.2009-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2189 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.18.10838 * Firefox v120.0.0 * Microsoft Edge v119.0.2151.72

• Moderators
23 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi Nergal:

What Windows OS are you using? Is it Win 11 v23H2 like the OP dbaker1?

I have no problem cleaning MS Edge v119 using CCleaner Free Portable v6.18 on my Win 10 laptop using the Custom Clean feature as long as those MS Edge settings are disabled and File Explorer and my MS Edge browser are closed.  All I see is the usual warning that my files will be permanently deleted, which is what I used to see with CCleaner Free Portable v6.17.

What I see after I click Analyze and Run Cleaner ..

CCleanerv6_18CleanMSEdgeChromuimAnalyze26Nov2023.png.123d7503b46340163df9a44c95908a9d.png

... and the final "Cleaning Complete" message I see a few seconds later after I click Continue and disk clean is finished.

CCleanerv6_18CleaningComplete25Nov2023.png.0d321102a75061a337dc11609f84e572.png

------------

Latest update to windows 11, unsure the code. About 60% of thr time edge does not exit fully and must be ended from background processes on task manager. Have both setting off, have toggled them. Have gpedit telling edge not to start at startup and idle.