Old Problem With Edge Is Back?

crizal

Hello everyone.  Haven't been here in quite some time.  I'm relaying an issue for a friend.  I cannot verify if it occurs on my equipment.  Explanation at the end.

Remember the old problem when CCleaner kept asking to close MS Edge?  Solution was to turn off Edge's startup boost and running background extensions and apps.  Well, after last Friday's  Edge update to version 118.0.2088.46, the problem is back on both of my friend's Windows 11 PCs -- both running the latest version of 22H2 and the latest version of CCleaner.  And yes, Edge settings have startup boost and running background extensions and apps turned off.

Is anyone else seeing this?  As mentioned, I cannot verify on my equipment as my machines have been boxed up and tucked away.  We took a direct hit from historic Hurricane Ian's storm surge just over a year ago and I've been staying with a friend until my home is fully repaired -- yes it's taking forever.  And due to lack of space, I've been using a chromebook.  

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for info, I'll inform my friend.  It's easy enough to let CCleaner close Edge.  My hurricane repairs will hopefully be finished by the end of the year.  Maybe this will be sorted out by then.  

Hi crizal:

Just an FYI that I tested on my Win 10 machine with Custom Clean (I don't allow Health Check to run on my system) and CCleaner does not prompt me to close MS Edge if the MS Edge browser is already closed. 

This is what I expect to see because I have Startup Boost and running of background extensions and apps DISABLED in my MS Edge settings at edge://settings/system.

MSEdgev118_0_2088_46SettingsSystemandPerformanceStartupBoost16Oct2023.png.8a0ec524752986793648ef8959bc16b7.png

------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3570 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23090.2008-1.1.23090.2007 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.4.286-1.0.2163 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * Firefox v118.0.2 * Microsoft Edge v118.0.2088.46 * CCleaner Free Portable 6.16.10662

Hello Imacri.  Problem solved!  The settings were as you show.  So, I turned them on, restarted, turned them off, restarted.  Issue disappeared and CCleaner is no longer asking to close Edge.  Don't know why it happened to come back, but it's gone now.  Thanks for responding.

• Moderators

Sometimes, particularly sometimes following Windows Updates, settings will change themselves and you find that you have to toggle the setting on/off or off/on to get Windows to respect it again.

It appears to be caused by glitches/stutters during updates, so may affect one machine but not others.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

This most won't likely fix Edge browser issues, however something worth knowing is that the monthly updates for Win10 and Win11 are known to sometimes (too often actually) cause corruption. Just looking around the web there are various forums where people state they use DISM and SFC to scan and possibly repair any corruption with each and every monthly update because it happens regularly.

More often than not SFC finds corruption monthly on my laptop which is always immediately after installing Windows Updates, so I run this and reboot:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
SFC /SCANNOW