Ccleaner wont clean

dbaker1

8 hours ago, dbaker1 said:

Cleaner didnt used to show stupid popup

if you set Edge to not run in the background, you won't see the stupid popup. to do that, in Edge's settings, go to "system" and, there, disable "startup boost" and "continue running in background." if those are already disabled, toggle them on and then off, again, to reset those settings.

On 26/11/2023 at 12:44, lmacri said:

I have no problem cleaning MS Edge v119 using CCleaner Free Portable v6.18 on my Win 10 laptop using the Custom Clean feature as long as those MS Edge settings are disabled and File Explorer and my MS Edge browser are closed.

On 27/11/2023 at 12:27, dbaker1 said:

plus win 10 anology to Win 11.  like saying my 2021 Cadillac XT 6 same as 2021 XT5

Hi dbaker1:

I was just pointing out that I don't see this problem on my Win 10 v22H2 OS with the Portable edition of CCleaner v6.18, which might indicate that your bug is unique to Windows 11 and/or or that the bug does not occur in Portable builds of CCleaner.

I found several recent threads in the ElevenForum Browsers and Mail board about problems with MS Edge continuing to run in the background, including Megahertz's 22-Nov-2023 topic Edge Remans Running.  There is some speculation in post # 9 of that thread that this is a consequence of the Nov 2023 Patch Tuesday KB5032190 monthly Quality Update (OS build 22621.2715 for Win 11 v22H2, OS build 22631.2715 for Win 11 v23H2) released on 14-Nov-2023 that added a preview of the centralized AI assistant called Copilot.  Megahertz's post # 25 in that thread includes the contents of a batch file they run when they want to kill the background msedge.exe process, but I don't have a Win 11 OS so I can't tell you if that batch file will safely kill any msedge.exe process running in the background after MS Edge is closed.

I have no idea if Copilot is actually responsible for keeping MS Edge running in the background on your Win 11 machine but see the Highlights section of the release notes <here> for KB5032190 for information more information about this AI assistant.  If you have Win 11 Professional OS then Susan Bradley posted instructions in today's AskWoody Alert MS-DEFCON 3: A Slightly Bumpy November (Issue 20.48.1 • 2023-11-28) on how to use the Local Group Policy Editor to disable Copilot if it has been rolled out to your system.

If you can't find a workaround in the ElevnForums for stopping your background msedge.exe process and nothing anyone suggests in this forum thread solves your problem then you should submit a CCleaenr support ticket at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general.  Be sure to include details that you neglected to provide in this thread, including your computer make and model, antivirus, details about your Win 11 v23H2 OS [including the edition (Home, Professional, etc.) and build number shown at Settings | System | About | Windows Specifications], your current MS Edge version number, your edition and current version of CCleaner, and exactly what you meant in your original post <here> when you said that "I have turned off everything".  The more information you can provide the easier it will be for customer support to provide assistance.
------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 Microsoft Defender v4.18.23100.2009-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2189 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.18.10838 * Firefox v120.0.0 * Microsoft Edge v119.0.2151.93

19 hours ago, lmacri said:

There is some speculation in post # 9 of that thread that this is a consequence of the Nov 2023 Patch Tuesday KB5032190 monthly Quality Update (OS build 22621.2715 for Win 11 v22H2, OS build 22631.2715 for Win 11 v23H2) released on 14-Nov-2023 that added a preview of the centralized AI assistant called Copilot

Hi dbaker1:

You might also want to monitor Panlo's 30-Sep-2023 Why is Edge Running in the Background After Copilot Installation? in the MS Answers forum where over 50 users have reported the same problem.  Unfortunately, I don't see a single workaround suggested in that thread that works for every Windows 11 user - at least as of today.

11 hours ago, dbaker1 said:

This is all true if set to defaults I have everything turned off

Sorry, I still don't understand what you mean by this.  Do you mean you changed your default Edge browser settings, and if so exactly what settings did you turn off?  For example, do you mean you turned off all four settings at  Settings | System and Performance | System?
------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 Microsoft Defender v4.18.23100.2009-1.1.23100.2009 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2189 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7690 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.18.10838 * Firefox v120.0.0 * Microsoft Edge v119.0.2151.93

• Moderators

I understand what you are saying but CCleaner has never let you force close any browser as the default option.

If it did that then this forum would be full of people complaining that CCleaner had closed their browser without asking first.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

I understand what you are saying but CCleaner has never let you force close any browser as the default option....

Hi nukecad:

That's not strictly true. On my Win 10 machine, CCleaner will close my MS Edge v119 browser for me if it's left open before I run a Custom Clean.

For example, if I launch MS Edge first and then start a Custom Clean in CCleaner I will be asked if I want to close MS Edge (Yes) or skip the cleaning of my internet cache (No) after I click Analyze ...

CCleanerv6_18CustomCleanWithMSEdgev119OpenPrompttoClose29Nov2023.png.95719257ad1a4058d21dd958ab151086.png

... and if I choose "Yes" then CCleaner closes MS Edge for me and the analysis proceeds as expected.

CCleanerv6_18CustomCleanWithMSEdgev119ClosedbyCCleaner29Nov2023.png.ada8a42bec8470b90d27d05bdb7cb75f.png

What has changed recently for Windows 11 users is that simply closing the MS Edge interface isn't going to to be enough to stop all the "extra" MS Edge processes that now run in the background when MS Edge is closed.  In theory it might be possible for Piriform / Avast to kill these "extra" MS Edge background processes when a user answers "Yes" to confirm they want to close / stop MS Edge, but this might have unintended consequences (e.g., this could break the Copilot AI that is starting to roll out to Windows 11, and coming soon to Windows 10).

We need to hear directly from Piriform / Avast about how they plan to deal with these "extra" MS Edge processes that run in the background when MS Edge is closed on a Windows 11 machine, because they might consider this to be a Windows 11 bug that Microsoft needs to fix on their end.  That's why I suggested that dbaker1 start a support ticket and contact them directly.
------------

i think that you should be thankful that ccleaner alerts you to the fact that Edge is running in the background and offers to close it for you, so that all of the junk-files that are associated with Edge can be removed.

obviously ccleaner is not the problem. the problem is with Edge and windows 11.

• Moderators
On 29/11/2023 at 18:21, lmacri said:

Hi nukecad:

That's not strictly true. On my Win 10 machine, CCleaner will close my MS Edge v119 browser for me if it's left open before I run a Custom Clean.

For example, if I launch MS Edge first and then start a Custom Clean in CCleaner I will be asked if I want to close MS Edge (Yes) or skip the cleaning of my internet cache (No) after I click Analyze ...

That's just as I said - CCleaner does not close a browser by default. it asks first.
(Unless you have told it never to ask again - in which case it still doesn't close the browser by default but "Skips" cleaning it).

What the OP is asking for is an option so that CCleaner force-closes browsers by default (without asking) each and  every time it is run.

If there was such an option then users would set CCleaner to force-close browsers, (often without thinking just what that means) , forget that they had set it, and then complain that CCleaner kept closing their browsers without asking first.

If you think that is unlikely to happen then you only have to consider how may people tick "Never show me this message again", (without thinking what that means), forget they have set it, and then complain that CCleaner keeps Skipping their browsers without asking first.
That's exactly what this thread is actually about - the skipping of cleaning a still running browser (Edge) without asking, which is happeneng because the user had ticked "Never show me this message again". If they hadn't ticked that message at some point then they would still be being asked.

The main point here though is that it is not CCleaner that needs to be fixed or changed - it's Edge that is faulty and needs to be fixed.
If Edge was respecting it's own settings then the rest of this discussion would not have arisen in the first place.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Noexxit said:

It would seem some extensions are persistent after Edge is closed and keep Edge alive in the background.  Only way I have found to fix this is to End Task Edge

Latpass Extension.jpg

Good guess but I've tried with no extensions and still the browser subprocess of edge needs to be killed by task manager about 50% of the time.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com