Firefox Extensions

rridgely

Stumbled across another very interesting extension, though I've not tried it yet as its FF2 only and I'm still on 1.5 but I like the sound of it:

SafeCache - Segments the cache on the basis of the originating document, defending against web privacy attacks that remote sites can use to determine your browser history at other sites. For example, a b.com image appearing on an a.com page would have a separate cache entry from the same image appearing on a b.com page, so a.com cannot use timing techniques to determine if you have visited b.com before. Checks cookie settings (allow, originating site only, deny) to determine your desired privacy level (segmented cache, cache originating site only, or never cache).

And heres a COMPLETELY useless, but nevertheless interesting, extension:

Raed Tihs - Scrambles all text on the current tab's page, but you will still be able to read it! This is a simple demonstration of the theory that letter-order within a word has no impact on readability, beyond the first and last letters.

WOT

A replacement for SiteAdvisor or can run along side it. http://www.mywot.com/en/wot/home/

WOT is a free service that provides web site reputation information for users. You can download it as a simple add-on for your browser that determines the trustworthiness of websites based on direct testimonies from the users themselves. The testimonies are compiled into a general indicator of a websites trustworthiness, which you can easily view through a reputation icon on your browser window.

• 3 weeks later...

Great extension for anyone who uses Google Maps regularly:

Full Map: See more of the actual map on Google Maps by removing everything except the map at the click of a button.

Redirect Remover: Redirect Remover detects relinking URLs like http://www.url.com/redirect.php?i=54&u...www.mozilla.org and directly links to the desired target: http://www.mozilla.org

(Extension is no longer supported but seems to work well anyway)

• 2 weeks later...

for me the best extensions are :

fasterfox - not sure if this actually makes a noticeable difference,but the features of it sounded great

foxytunes - so handy for controlling music in browser

IE tab - for those annoying sites when u must use IE

keyscrambler - handy security thing against keyloggers,also makes me look really smart about computers ;)

mcafee site advisor - very handy for the old google searches

TrackMeNot - stops sites gathering data about u

VideoDownloader - rip all those vids off google and youtube.awesome

Who watches The Watchmen?

• 1 month later...

Two extensions that I use a lot lately are Cooliris and Rewind/Fast forward.

Cooliris is great. You basically just place your cursor over a link and it opens a window to that page. This window preview is active meaning you can click on links within it or scroll or whatever. Great for forums. There is a version for IE6,Flock, Mac, as well as the Firefox version. They are going to release a IE7 version very soon.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2207/

Rewind/Fast forward works just like it does in Opera.

https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=rew...amp;app=firefox

Just seen this extension listed on AMO, really nice idea (not tried it yet though, not using FF2):

CacheViewer: This extenion is GUI Front-end of "about:cache".

Allows searching and sorting memory and disk cache files.

Basically a cache browser so you can view images etc in cache.

Share some of my favorites! :)

Scrapbook

This is the second most essential extension for me after adblock plus. It saves webpages and the information you want, the way you want it.

Firefox extension backup extension (FEBE)

Back up and restore all or any parts of firefox the easy way; really helpful if you restore image regularly.

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Pool users feedbacks about particular websites and give you safety analysis about the websites.

Download Statusbar

Much easier to use than the default; should have been a built in.

DownThemAll!

Why use an external download manager when a free and small (426k) extension would do all the works.

Ook? Video Ook!

Weird name, but this video site downloader is simple and effective to use.

NoScript

Uneasy about visiting new websites? No Script disable all script except those you deem safe.

Dictionary Tooltip (version 0.9.4.5.1)

Easy to use dictionary extension with pronunciation. Avoid the newer versions.

---

Does anyone know if the extension Media Player Connectivity will allow you to play on-site flash videos in a player of your choice? I am thinking specifically of sites like YouTube.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Yahoo! Mail Notifier

This extension notifies you when new messages arrive in your Yahoo mailbox.

Notification options include: customizable sound, notification alert, status bar and toolbar icon. Also allows the user to map different mouse buttons to open Yahoo Mail in different tabs,windows,etc.

Yahoo Mail Addon

• 1 month later...

Thought I might as well add a few extensions I use that haven't been mentioned here before. I have just copied and pasted the info from the websites, with the exception of open profile folder, for obvious reasons - I think they explain thier own extension better than I can!

1/

Openbook

This extension allows for customization of the Add Bookmark dialog. The bookmarks tree can be automatically opened and elements can be added or removed. The entire dialog can even be bypassed

142fs244729.jpg

http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/openbook.php

2/

Open Profile folder

No prizes for guessing what this one does...but I find it useful. The homesite is in japanese, but I can asssure you the extension is in English!

http://hail2u.net/archives/fxexts.html#open_profile_folder

3/

BookmarkDD

BookmarkDD is a very useful extension that helps you manage your bookmarks. It notices you when duplicate bookmark is added, specify where is the previous URL and give you the choice to change the parent folder of duplicate bookmark. There is also a window to manage all duplicate bookmarks already in your bookmarks.

http://bookmarkdd.mozdev.org/

Thats it, hope someone finds them useful.

Hey, how did you get the menu bar to into one row with the bar below it? I installed it but it did not combine like that screenshot.

After you install the extension and the menu collapses into one button you need to drag all the icons from the navigation bar to the menu bar. Once you do that you shut off the navigation bar and you get a tool bar set up like the screen shot. That is how I have it also.

A new extension I just started using is called Tab Scope. Basically when you hover the cursor over the tab a pop up preview of the tab appears. The size is totally configurable and the pop up is active meaning you can navigate within it and select links and such. Similar to the tab preview in Opera 9 but better. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4882

After you install the extension and the menu collapses into one button you need to drag all the icons from the navigation bar to the menu bar. Once you do that you shut off the navigation bar and you get a tool bar set up like the screen shot. That is how I have it also.

Problem is it doesn't let me drag anything. Are you using the default theme?

You have to right click an empty part of one of the bars and select customise, then you can drag anything on the toolbars wherever you want.

• Moderators

Mike, are you right clicking on the toolbar and selecting "customize"?

Once you do that, ignore the customize window, and drag your buttons up to the bar above.

Hope this helps.

Edit: JD, you beat me by a millisecond.

Mike, are you right clicking on the toolbar and selecting "customize"?

Once you do that, ignore the customize window, and drag your buttons up to the bar above.

Hope this helps.

Edit: JD, you beat me by a millisecond.

Fantastic! Fellas THANK YOU!!!

Installed this new Firefox extension today. This thing is very cool. It's called Tab Effect. When you click on a tab to activate it your screen rotates like a cube to show the tab. You have to see it to understand. It's pure eye candy, doesn't really add any functionality but it's very cool.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4258

Hey Anthony, GCNbball8 above: (Post #63), bet you to it.

That's what I get for posting at 3:00 in the morning after watching bands all night. I didn't even notice that. :blink: Still a very neat extension though. I probably won't keep it because after a few hours of saying "wow that's cool" to myself it really doesn't do much. Maybe I will keep it installed but disabled until there are people around than I will turn it back on so they can say "wow that's cool" for an hour or so than disable it again. :lol: