Start menu coming back

rridgely

• Moderators

Looks like MS is finally going to fix windows 8. They are bringing back the start menu.

They are also going to allow the metro apps to be run in windows on the desktop. This should pretty much fix all the problems I've had with windows 8. 

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-revealed-microsoft-talks-future-windows

• Moderators

heard that before with 8.1 "we're bringing back the Start Button".

wasn't actually a lie as it turned out but not exactly what we were expecting either.

let's see in what format they bring it back as and when....

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

There is a picture of it on that link.  Its from the MS Build conference from a few days ago. It looks like win7 with a few live tiles added in. Looks good enough to me.  I already have start 8 but I would rather not have to use it. 

• Moderators

Looks like MS is finally going to fix windows 8.

After working on my aunts Win8 laptop computer last week it frustrated the hell out of me, so the only way they could properly fix it in my views is to release Win9 and let Win8 fade into a distant memory and be forgotten.

• Moderators

That is actually what this update may be. MS hasn't said if the screens it released were from windows 8.1, windows 8.2, or windows 9. 

I wouldn't be surprised if win9 is released as a free or cheap update to 8. MS really screwed up with 8. 

Windows 9 is still a year away, so it would not surprise me to see something released between now and then. It would have been a home run for Microsoft if they had marketed two versions of Windows 8, the current one for touch devices and a second with the traditional start menu for desktops and laptops. Now they have to go "back to the future" to attempt to regain what was lost. 

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators
It would have been a home run for Microsoft if they had marketed two versions of Windows 8,

if they had done that they wouldn't have been able to be able to do this: http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/02/microsoft-will-bring-its-universal-app-system-to-xbox/

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

OMG it's about time. I still haven't upgraded to 8.1 but I'll do whatever it takes to have Windows look like Windows is supposed to look because I freaking hate 8.

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

I like 8, and I would consider myself a 'power user,' I've had no problems with 8 in terms of my daily usage (though I do wish it'd track bandwidth usage on non-wireless connections, just cause I like statistics)

I get people don't like change, but as far as I can tell, 8 is a 30% faster 7 with a less gaudy aero and a full screen start menu which is a waste of space, but way better and more robust than the old one. In the hour or so I was on 8.1 before wiping again the other week, I actually decided I didn't totally care for the changes they made to searching on the start screen compared to 8.1.

Hopefully they can find a less obtrusive but still as useful middle ground (I use start mostly for searching, in case that wasn't apparent ;) )

According to my info (Shane from "Tweaking.com") MS will only make some minimal changes. The changes will be just enough to not annoy users anymore. We won't see the entire menu coming back.

But we'll have to wait & see.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I like 8, and I would consider myself a 'power user,' I've had no problems with 8 in terms of my daily usage (though I do wish it'd track bandwidth usage on non-wireless connections, just cause I like statistics)

I get people don't like change, but as far as I can tell, 8 is a 30% faster 7 with a less gaudy aero and a full screen start menu which is a waste of space, but way better and more robust than the old one. In the hour or so I was on 8.1 before wiping again the other week, I actually decided I didn't totally care for the changes they made to searching on the start screen compared to 8.1.

Hopefully they can find a less obtrusive but still as useful middle ground (I use start mostly for searching, in case that wasn't apparent ;) )

I have no experience with 7 so I have no idea how it compares. I went from XP right to 8. I don't mind change, but 8 to me is just...awful. XP was easier to navigate and you didn't have have those snap back windows that you mouse over to in the left corner of the screen. You didn't have to "view apps" to get to a program. Shut down, control panel, etc was easier to get to. I just don't like the overall design of 8. My brother has Vista on his computer and said even that's better than my 8. But of course, everyone has their own preferences and they like 8, more power to them. I hate it. lol  :lol:

According to my info (Shane from "Tweaking.com") MS will only make some minimal changes. The changes will be just enough to not annoy users anymore. We won't see the entire menu coming back.

Ugh. Can I just have XP back? lol

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators

Microsoft has already said that it is coming back and released pictures.

They also showed "modern" apps working on the desktop in windows. This isn't happening next week with the big update but it is coming. 

• Moderators

those Start Menu screen shots are a positive sign if they actually make it to some future OS release.

at the moment, they are just that - screen shots.

for all I know, made by someone wise in the ways of Photoshop (ok, it's out - I'm a glass half empty guy)

and all developers with beta versions are well known at changing the goal posts.

if those shots were from a working OS then a release would be soon, maybe Win8.1u2 but who knows as none of all this is based on anything official from MS, who, lets face it, know when things are happening but love the 'leaked' 'official' facts that get reported on the web by 'people-in-the-know'.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I'm not sure why you guys are debating if this is official or not. Microsoft got up on stage and showed it off.  :huh:

Anyway, this is a good thing and I hope it comes soon. 

I like the changes MS is making. I've been using office for ipad since its release and its pretty great. My iPad was already my primary computer when it came to entertainment and it may soon be my primary computer for work too.

• Moderators

Nice video "Start Menu coming back to Windows 2014", although the users who switched over to Linux probably aren't coming back to Windows anytime soon. I know of more than enough people who are free Linux users now, all because of Win8.

• Moderators

Nice video "Start Menu coming back to Windows 2014", although the users who switched over to Linux probably aren't coming back to Windows anytime soon. I know of more than enough people who are free Linux users now, all because of Win8.

I tried to switch to linux. I just couldn't do it. The software just wasn't stable enough for me. Every distro would crash for one reason or another. There is always some little isssue, non working hardware, ect. To be honest instead of moving to linux, I moved to iOS and Android. I use my iPad Air the most(I plan to use it even more now since it has full MS Office) but I also use my nexus 7 and galaxy s3 quite a bit. I find these better alternatives for most things.

Only time I use my laptop is for doing school work(hopefully iPad takes this over). I use my desktop purely for gaming now, and I don't see anything taking its place anytime soon.

Microsoft Bob. . . :lol: . . . wow  that goes back a ways. 

Fix win 8 . . . too little too late. 

There are problems w/ Linux, yes, but hey, windows is not exactly a stroll in the park.

For me, win 8 was the straw that broke the camel's back.  You couldn't turn it off!!  You had to log in with a windows live account. (I know, not really, but it seemed so.)  It is hugely difficult (for me at least) to dual boot some other OS.  UEFI, GPT, TPM, etc . . . Improvements . . . <_<

Some commentater [sic] kept referring to a "windows powered system" with the implication that the user had no business tweaking it, nor asking it to do something microsoft had not included. Further, my spanking new HP win 7 machine did not even have available drivers for XP, a year before microsoft stopped support.  HP forums, no help.  I think it was a sweetheart deal, (Die, xp, Die!!) with microsoft.  Several Linux distros had working drivers for that same win 7 machine. 

That got me started thinking, "Who do they think they are ?!?" It is after all just a machine; it has spinning parts, wires, lights & switches.  It gets me on the 'net and allows me to use softwares.  Now, is there some other OS that will do that? 

Soooo, When xp is no longer viable I shall go to Linux unless there is some unforseen development by microsoft, like a Disturbance in The Force.  The Linux crowd is improving Linux distros much faster than microsoft is improving windows, just my opinion, and Linux is getting more windowish, stable and versatile.  To wit, Linux Lite & Zorin. 

As to speed, fwiw, xp runs much faster than win 7 on the same hardware.  Cannot compare xp w/ win 8, haven't yet tried to dual boot that machine, haven't turned it on for months. But the Puppy distros are faster than any of the windowses (is that a word?) after they boot. 

Good news, a survey popup from Avast! today said they will be supporting xp for 3 more years, wanted to know how users will react to end of support. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

My experience with linux is that while there are sometimes drivers for certain hardware, they often don't perform the same as on windows. Especially graphics drivers, wifi, sound,  and power saving functions. I use the latest linux distros just to try them out but there is always something that doesn't work right on every one, and there is never a solution. 

You're right.  With that rant out of my system, it's easy to acknowledge it.  :) 

I'm gonna go with Linux anyway, cause I'll be mostly reusing older hardware anyway, same as with my car.  :lol:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I tried to switch to linux. I just couldn't do it. The software just wasn't stable enough for me. Every distro would crash for one reason or another. 

I've had issues with every one of them I've ever tried myself, it's usually non-working sound. The only one that ever crashed and completely froze on me was Zorin-OS.

• Moderators

I think my transition will be to tablets. I use my iPad the most as it is, but as these platforms become more powerful I can see it becoming my only computer at some point. I like the battery life, performance of apps, ecosystem, ect. I use my iPad with a really nice Microsoft keyboard and I love typing and doing work on it. The only thing I like better about android is that it has mouse support which would be nice when doing office type work. I may get a nice android tablet once MS releases office for android. My nexus 7 is just too small for that type of work. 

I will probably always keep a desktop for gaming on steam but my current one is hooked up to a tv and not at a desk. I use steam big picture mode.