Windows 8 available Oct 26th

hazelnut

My O/S is in desperate need of a reinstall (seriously; if you can name it I've broken it). Windows 8 might be the perfect opportunity to do this; so I'll be upgrading as soon as humanly possible.

I'm Shane.

From my experience, Win8 is at the very least just as good as win7 (i personally like it more) unless you're incredibly dependent on the start menu in its current form and are unwilling to adjust to the new one.

That's just my opinion, I would definitely reccomend you try out the release preview if you have a chance. I run it on my laptop and haven't had any compatibility issues (save a few hiccups from things like League of Legends which barely work on the systems they DO support, let alone ones they dont ;))

You could've edited your first post and not post twice (the same).

Like I said, that's what I've heard. Haven't tested it myself yet and probably won't until it's released.

Only the first of your list of advantages is "interesting" to me (USB3 support).

I tried the Win 8 preview and liked it, except for the metro, but that might have changed as I got used to it. Performed no benchmarks but Win 8 seemed noticeably faster than Win 7. But my PC is a 9 -10 year old P4, with a motherboard maxed out at 1 Gb Ram and I needed more for Win 8 to really perform. If I use Win 8 it will have to be on a new PC.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget this thread:

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=35840

If you get a new win 7 computer from now till years end, a $15 upgrade to win 8 will be available.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Metro needs to die though.

Honestly for me if that Metro UI is all that's available and I don't know if it is or not I wouldn't even think of using Win8. I've seen more than a fair share of screenshots on places like Softpedia.com that make me cringe.

I read on another forum about someone who tried that pre-release of it, and he stated he felt like a senior citizen for the first time ever using a computer due to the Metro UI.

Honestly, that just sounds like a drastic overstatement. I mean, I don't care for it much either, but it isn't that bad.

• Moderators

Boot straight into the classic desktop on Windows 8 with Skip Metro Suite. Have read reviews on this that say it works

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=330626

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Microsoft Windows 8 Gaming Performance (vs. Win7)

After testing both AMD's Radeon HD 7970 and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 680 on Windows 8 using 19 benchmarks, we can confirm that both Windows 7 and Windows 8 offer the same gaming performance. Some games at low, CPU-limited resolutions show Windows 8 lagging slightly behind Windows 7, which is a sign that there is some mechanism at work here that increases CPU time or otherwise limits the system from sending information to the graphics cards fast enough to achieve higher framerates. This difference is very small though and barely noticeable, especially at higher resolutions like full HD or 2560x1600. The same performance is, at higher resolutions, pretty much the same as in Windows 7. The difference we noticed would be smaller, or go away, with a weaker graphics card at lower resolution as the slower GPU will limit framerates in such a scenario.