Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

It's a bit tricky to update to the latest Beta version of Winapp2ool.exe from the previous stable version.  it had a few false starts before I got the latest beta to Trim properly.  It kept trimming down to 6 cleaning modules.  Everything else was Poof!. 🤨

1.  Change Whitelist.ini to Includes.ini;  Change Blacklist.ini to Excludes.ini

2.  Install the latest beta v1.5.8448.28847

3.  Restore all settings(7) to the default state. 

4.  Start selecting your desired settings

5.  In the TRIM section (2), reset all the TRIM settings to the default state.(9).  Then set your desired settings in the TRIM section.

Now it trims properly.,  😉

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

in 1.5, I fixed a few settings which weren't being properly saved/initialized to disk. it's likely that when the tool re-initalized after updating it corrupted the expected state of the settings (resetting the broken settings to default and producing unexpected behavior). I think Diff was most affected by this but it's possible Trim was as well.

New entry:  [Windows 11 Notepad *]

[Windows 11 Notepad *]
DetectOS=10.0|
LangSecRef=3031
DetectFile=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsNotepad_8wekyb3d8bbwe
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsNotepad_*\SystemAppData\Helium|User.dat

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

Modifed entry:  [Samsung Magician *]

Added FileKey9 and FileKey10

[Samsung Magician *]
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKLM\Software\Samsung Magician
FileKey1=%AppData%\Samsung Magician\GPUCache|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey2=%AppData%\Samsung Magician\Local Storage\leveldb|*.old
FileKey3=%AppData%\Samsung Magician\Session Storage|*.old
FileKey4=%CommonAppData%\Samsung\Backup|*.exe
FileKey5=%CommonAppData%\Samsung\Samsung Magician|*.exe;*.mdmp|RECURSE
FileKey6=%CommonAppData%\Samsung\Samsung Magician\PB|*.txt
FileKey7=%ProgramFiles%\Samsung Magician\Logs|*.*
FileKey8=%ProgramFiles%\Samsung\Samsung Magician\Log*|*.*
FileKey9=%ProgramFiles%\Samsung\Samsung Magician\MigrationService|*.log
FileKey10=%ProgramFiles%\Samsung\Samsung Magician\MigrationService\Logs|*.*
FileKey11=%SystemDrive%\MagicianPerf*|*.*|REMOVESELF
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Local AppWizard-Generated Applications\SamsungMagician

In Winapp2.ini 20230301 there is:

[Windows Temporary Files *]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
FileKey1=%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\LocalService*\Local Settings\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\NetworkService*\Local Settings\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey3=%Temp%|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey4=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\*\AppData\Local\Temp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey5=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey6=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey7=%WinDir%\SystemTemp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey8=%WinDir%\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey9=%WinDir%\TEMP|*|REMOVESELF

Filekey3 will remove everything from the %Temp% folder.  This can affect running, active applications.  CCleaner already cleans this folder (System->Temporary Files) for files older than 24h by default or can clean it fully if the user changes the setting.

Because some web browsers make temp files in %Temp%, and sometimes leave them behind, there is an argument for cleaning some temp files sooner, but it is probably better to make specific %Temp% cleaning rules for the leftover files from the application of interest that one wants to remove when cleaning and add them to their own custom.ini file.

• Moderators

New:

[Sumatra PDF Portable *]
LangSecRef=3021
DetectFile1=%SystemDrive%\PortableApps\SumatraPDFPortable\SumatraPDFPortable.exe
FileKey1=%SystemDrive%\PortableApps\SumatraPDFPortable\Data\settings\sumatrapdfcache|*.*

Revised entry

Added: FileKey6

[Windows Installer *]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer
FileKey1=%SystemDrive%\Config.msi|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey2=%WinDir%\Installer|*.tmp|RECURSE
FileKey3=%WinDir%\Installer|SourceHash{*};wix{*}.SchedServiceConfig.rmi
FileKey4=%WinDir%\Installer\Config.Msi|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey5=%WinDir%\Installer\MSI*.tmp-|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey6=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local|*.tmp|RECURSE

New entry:  [CloseAll - Close All Windows *]

[CloseAll - Close All Windows *]
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKLM\Software\Alexander Avdonin\CloseAll
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\CloseAll|*.rtf;*.txt

New entry:   [Display Driver Uninstaller Logs *]

[Display Driver Uninstaller Logs *]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Display Driver Uninstaller
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\Display Driver Uninstaller\DDU Logs|*.*

On Windows 11, the user entered search variable is not cleared when CCleaner is executed.  It is cleared on Windows 10.  Anyone have a suggestion as to where this variable is located and what entry in Winapp2.ini needs to be adjusted?

SearchEntryWin11.png

Modified entry:  [Dell *]

Added FileKey3

[Dell *]
LangSecRef=3024
Detect1=HKLM\Software\Dell
Detect2=HKLM\Software\PC-Doctor
DetectFile1=%AppData%\Creative\DELL Webcam Center
DetectFile2=%CommonAppData%\Dell
DetectFile3=%LocalAppData%\Dell
DetectFile4=%LocalAppData%\SupportSoft\DellSupportCenter
DetectFile5=%ProgramFiles%\Dell*
FileKey1=%AppData%\Creative\DELL Webcam Center|MO_Log.txt
FileKey2=%AppData%\PCDr\*\Logs|*
FileKey3=%CommonAppData%\Dell\*|*.log
FileKey4=%CommonAppData%\Dell\*\Log*|*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%CommonAppData%\Dell\D3\pla\*\*|*.log;*.txt|REMOVESELF
FileKey6=%CommonAppData%\Dell\D3\Resources\Logs\serilog|*
FileKey7=%CommonAppData%\Dell\Drivers\*|*.log;*.tmp|RECURSE
FileKey8=%CommonAppData%\Dell\orca\deviceq|*
FileKey9=%CommonAppData%\Dell\SupportAssist|*|RECURSE
FileKey10=%CommonAppData%\Dell\TrustedDevice|*.log
FileKey11=%CommonAppData%\Dell\Update|*.txt
FileKey12=%CommonAppData%\Dell\UpdateService|*.log;*.txt|RECURSE
FileKey13=%CommonAppData%\PCDr\*\Logs|*
FileKey14=%LocalAppData%\Dell\*\Log|*
FileKey15=%LocalAppData%\Dell\DellMobileConnect|*.log
FileKey16=%LocalAppData%\SupportSoft\DellSupportCenter\*\state\logs|*
FileKey17=%ProgramFiles%\Dell*|*.log|RECURSE

21 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

On Windows 11, the user entered search variable is not cleared when CCleaner is executed.  It is cleared on Windows 10.  Anyone have a suggestion as to where this variable is located and what entry in Winapp2.ini needs to be adjusted?

SearchEntryWin11.png

The latest version of Notepad (11.2302.16.0) has unfortunately moved the search string from the file "User.dat" to the following file:

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsNotepad_*\Settings\settings.dat

But beware, this brings back the problem that deleting the file also deletes all user settings! ☹️

Thanks for the info, APMichael.  Seems like the boys and girls at MS enjoy making it difficult to love Windows 11.  😏

On 02/03/2023 at 18:39, PICPro said:

In Winapp2.ini 20230301 there is:

LangSecRef=3025
FileKey1=%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\LocalService*\Local Settings\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\NetworkService*\Local Settings\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey3=%Temp%|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey4=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\*\AppData\Local\Temp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey5=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey6=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey7=%WinDir%\SystemTemp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey8=%WinDir%\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey9=%WinDir%\TEMP|*|REMOVESELF

Filekey3 will remove everything from the %Temp% folder.  This can affect running, active applications.  CCleaner already cleans this folder (System->Temporary Files) for files older than 24h by default or can clean it fully if the user changes the setting. ...

I would also suggest that FileKey3 and especially FileKey9 should be removed as they are already cleaned up by CCleaner and other cleaning tools. In addition, the various Windows-owned Temp folders should not be removed using REMOVESELF, but only cleaned up using RECURSE. Otherwise, permission problems may occur here, as probably reported here: https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/64368-windows-installer-error-code2203-in-v60910300-winapp2ini-230301-win1122h2/.

Hi sorry I've been away, some business in real life has come up, as it seems to so often these days :(

Just some small updates which I will elaborate on in longer form at a later date:

I'm in the process of making some changes which require meaningful changes to Diff in winapp2ool to handle processing, which is why activity appears to have stopped. There is a pending set of changes that require that winapp2ool update to handle gracefully, although the current public version will handle them fine (albeit noisily).

There's going to be some annoying overlap with CCleaner for the immediate future while I pivot how the file is maintained and built. The short version is it's going Non-CCleaner by default for the maintenance and then a CCleaner version similar to what has previously been default will be generated using winapp2ool. essentially. it is much easier to automate modifying a non-ccleaner file into a ccleaner version than the reverse which is how it is currently done and has been for a very long time. Part of a wider project which I will elaborate on later. I am taking note of the conflicts that arise with CCleaner, but for now most of the conflicting changes (ie. where ccleaner and winapp2.ini both target the same thing) will remain in place, as I am no intentionally longer avoiding these collisions.

edit: of course, if something is a problem and not merely a conflict with CCleaner, I am trying to be proactive as well...

24 minutes ago, Winapp2.ini said:

... I am taking note of the conflicts that arise with CCleaner, but for now most of the conflicting changes (ie. where ccleaner and winapp2.ini both target the same thing) will remain in place, as I am no intentionally longer avoiding these collisions.

edit: of course, if something is a problem and not merely a conflict with CCleaner, I am trying to be proactive as well...

Thank you for your reply. Ok, for me this is no problem in principle, if there are overlaps with CCleaner's built-in cleanup rules.

To fix the possible problems with the entry [Windows Temporary Files *], it should probably also be sufficient to replace all REMOVESELF with RECURSE.

On 13/03/2023 at 13:11, APMichael said:

I would also suggest that FileKey3 and especially FileKey9 should be removed as they are already cleaned up by CCleaner and other cleaning tools. In addition, the various Windows-owned Temp folders should not be removed using REMOVESELF, but only cleaned up using RECURSE. Otherwise, permission problems may occur here, as probably reported here: https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/64368-windows-installer-error-code2203-in-v60910300-winapp2ini-230301-win1122h2/.

Thank you for this, I've been reinstalling Windows 11 over the last few hours and it would constantly brick.

In Winapp2, I changed things to the following

LangSecRef=3025
FileKey3=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\*\AppData\Local\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey6=%WinDir%\SystemTemp|*|RECURSE
FileKey7=%WinDir%\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp|*|RECURSE

And have run CCleaner several times and have been able to install applications without Error 2203.

Before Error 2203 would always come up and even after trying sfc /scannow, changing permissions and even doing a full Windows feature upgrade, I could not resolve the error.

The new Winapp2.ini release does not appear to include any of the recently posted changes on this forum.  Does that mean they are rejected or what?

3 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

The new Winapp2.ini release does not appear to include any of the recently posted changes on this forum.  Does that mean they are rejected or what?

It was just a hot fix for the [Windows Temporary Files *] entry, as this one causes serious problems:

The entry not only cleaned up the temp folders, but also deleted the temp folders themselves. However, the new temp folders automatically recreated by Windows then no longer have their original permissions and owners.

11 hours ago, GhostMotley said:

... And have run CCleaner several times and have been able to install applications without Error 2203.

Before Error 2203 would always come up and even after trying sfc /scannow, changing permissions and even doing a full Windows feature upgrade, I could not resolve the error.

Thank you for your confirmation that this is causing the problems. Unfortunately, Windows' self-healing capabilities are in great need of improvement. Microsoft should definitely improve SFC!

15 hours ago, GhostMotley said:

Thank you for this, I've been reinstalling Windows 11 over the last few hours and it would constantly brick.

In Winapp2, I changed things to the following

LangSecRef=3025
FileKey3=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\*\AppData\Local\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp|*|RECURSE
FileKey6=%WinDir%\SystemTemp|*|RECURSE
FileKey7=%WinDir%\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp|*|RECURSE

And have run CCleaner several times and have been able to install applications without Error 2203.

has dism been any help?

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth 

@Winapp2.ini Another problematic side effect from merging: All [... Cookies *] entries for the different browsers delete the stored passwords, because they delete the file "Login Data"! A separate entry is urgently required here in each case. Thanks in advance.

On 16/03/2023 at 03:22, APMichael said:

It was just a hot fix for the [Windows Temporary Files *] entry, as this one causes serious problems:

The entry not only cleaned up the temp folders, but also deleted the temp folders themselves. However, the new temp folders automatically recreated by Windows then no longer have their original permissions and owners.

Just a note for people using version 230316 that the "non-ccleaner" version of winapp2.ini still has the problematic [Windows Temporary Files *] so be careful and check.

On 16/03/2023 at 22:17, Winapp2.ini said:

has dism been any help?

In my case, it still got error code 2203 after "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"  and "sfc /scannow".

10 hours ago, APMichael said:

@Winapp2.ini Another problematic side effect from merging: All [... Cookies *] entries for the different browsers delete the stored passwords, because they delete the file "Login Data"! A separate entry is urgently required here in each case. Thanks in advance.

I used to wonder that if the chrome related google login status changes, it seemed to be in the "search engine data" before march version, but is in the "Auto Fill Data" after March.
But I just found that the code edit seem to be made till Dec 5, 2022 . 

https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/commit/27115f9138f682ed4b584c3ba04d971ea0c5a838
moved to

[Auto Fill Data *]
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Chromium\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\CocCoc\Browser\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Epic Privacy Browser\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome*\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Iridium\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey7=%LocalAppData%\Slimjet\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey8=%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\*|Web Data

moved from

[Search Engines Data *]
    LangSecRef=3029
    Detect1=HKCU\Software\Chromium\PreferenceMACs
    Detect2=HKCU\Software\CocCoc\Browser
    Detect3=HKCU\Software\Comodo\Dragon
    Detect4=HKCU\Software\Epic Privacy Browser
    Detect5=HKCU\Software\Iridium
    Detect6=HKCU\Software\Slimjet
    Detect7=HKCU\Software\Yandex\YandexBrowser
    DetectFile=%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome*
    Warning=This also removes all AutoFill data ("Saved Form Information").
    FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Chromium\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\CocCoc\Browser\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Epic Privacy Browser\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome*\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Iridium\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey7=%LocalAppData%\Slimjet\User Data\*|Web Data
    FileKey8=%LocalAppData%\Yandex\YandexBrowser\User Data\*|Web Data

On 16/03/2023 at 14:17, Winapp2.ini said:

has dism been any help?

Hello, unfortunately it didn't.

I tried the below multiple times and restarted in between runs, no success.

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded
DISM.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

I think we should have a separate entry for Intel Driver and Support Assistant

[Intel Driver and Support Assistant *]
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKCU\Software\Intel\Driver and Support Assistant