Winapp2.ini

2 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

JFI

Bitdefender Internet Security blocks downloading the latest Winapp2ool.exe

Infected web page detected
an hour ago
Feature:
Online Threat Prevention
We blocked this dangerous page for your protection: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/Branch1/winapp2ool/bin/Release/winapp2ool.exe Dangerous pages attempt to install software that can harm the device, gather personal information or operate without your consent.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1cbf043de09773b501435835d1d396a06a489e931e940e1a1989e912e00e5815

probably need to file a false positive report https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/29358/

winapp2ool has a lot of very suspicious features, I guess.

Here, we go, again. After the Microsoft Edge issueit is Firefox's turn, now.                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Firefox Bookmark Favicons*  checked and all your Firefox Bookmark Icons are gone!

Dear Developer, you have two (2) options:

a) Fix it the way you did with Microsoft Edge.

b) Add the same Entry (i.e. one that will nuke all FavIcons)  to Microsoft Edge.

As it is now, [Winapp2.ini  Version: 230224]

only the Firefox Bookmark Icons can be nuked; not the Microsoft Edge ones.

49 minutes ago, 212eta said:

Here, we go, again. After the Microsoft Edge issueit is Firefox's turn, now.
Firefox Bookmark Favicons*  checked and all your Firefox Bookmark Icons are gone!

But this is not a real issue, since the name of the entry says pretty clearly what will be deleted.

49 minutes ago, 212eta said:

... b) Add the same Entry (i.e. one that will nuke all FavIcons)  to Microsoft Edge.
As it is now, [Winapp2.ini  Version: 230224]
only the Firefox Bookmark Icons can be nuked; not the Microsoft Edge ones.

This entry already exists, not only for Edge but for all browsers:

[Microsoft Edge Bookmark Favicons *]
LangSecRef=3006
DetectFile=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge*
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Micrsoft\Edge*\User Data\*|favicons*

[Chromium Bookbark Favicons *] (This entry name has a typo!)
[Vivaldi Bookmark Favicons *]
[Brave Bookmark Favicons *]
[Opera Bookmark Favicons *]

Modified entry:  [Movavi *]

Changed LangSecRec=3022 to 3023.  Movavi is a multimedia application.

[Movavi *]
LangSecRef=3023
DetectFile=%AppData%\Movavi*
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Movavi\Logs|*.*|RECURSE

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

Once more, to clarify things out:

Running Windows 11 22H2 x64 Fully Updated with 1.5.8448.28847 winapp2ool and 230224 Winapp2.ini

-When checking ALL Edge Chromium entries (.e.g. Microsoft Edge Bookmark Favicons*, Microsoft Edge History*, Microsoft Edge Bookmark Backup* etc.), NOTHING is gone/lost/nuked when it comes to the Microsoft Edge Favorites Icons (=FavIcons).

-When checking Firefox Bookmark Favicons*, all Bookmarks Icons are gone (as expected).

So, what the Developers will do?

a) Remove the Firefox Bookmark Favicons* entry?

-OR-

b) Add a similar Entry for the Microsoft Edge FavIcons that will ACTUALLY work and remove them?

Unlike Privacy-Freaks, Average users do Not like Having the Browsers' FavIcons nuked.

Just like Average users don't want their Browsers & Windows Settings turned back to Default by Aggressive entries!

14 minutes ago, 212eta said:

... -When checking ALL Edge Chromium entries (.e.g. Microsoft Edge Bookmark Favicons*, Microsoft Edge History*, Microsoft Edge Bookmark Backup* etc.), NOTHING is gone/lost/nuked when it comes to the Microsoft Edge Favorites Icons (=FavIcons). ...

You could perhaps also check why the entry for the Edge does not work, then you might also have noticed that there is a typo in the path:

The first "o" in "Microsoft" is missing!

... Unlike Privacy-Freaks, Average users do Not like Having the Browsers' FavIcons nuked. ...

This is true, however even an average user should not simply select all Winapp2.ini entries without reading the names. If you are not sure, it is better to leave the entry unselected.

... Just like Average users don't want their Browsers & Windows Settings turned back to Default by Aggressive entries!

@Winapp2.ini has completely revised and restructured the Winapp2.ini. Thereby some entries were merged. That errors can creep in with such a large revision is certainly normal and completely unintentional.

Modified entries:

LangSecRef=3006
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge*\User Data\*|favicons*

Fixed typo in FileKey1.

[Chromium Bookmark Favicons *]

Fixed typo in entry name.

8 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

Modified entry:  [jv16 PowerTools Backups *] 

Changed kv16 to jv16

jv16 PowerTools Backups *]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*|*.reg
FileKey2=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Backups|*|RECURSE

HOWEVER, I thought it is the general policy not to include backup file removals in Winapp2.ini ! 🤨

Please do not overlook this post

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

8 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

Modified entry:  [jv16 PowerTools Backups *] 

Changed kv16 to jv16

jv16 PowerTools Backups *]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*|*.reg
FileKey2=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Backups|*|RECURSE

HOWEVER, I thought it is the general policy not to include backup file removals in Winapp2.ini ! 🤨

I think it's fine to have entries for this type of thing as long as they are standalone (ie. only clean the backups). Since most people using winapp2.ini are what I'd call power users, I am placing some faith in their ability to discern for themselves whether or not their backups for software are something they want

edit: also this typo will be fixed today. thanks for the patience :) lots of stuff changed and honestly im surprised at how well it's going

1 hour ago, APMichael said:

You could perhaps also check why the entry for the Edge does not work, then you might also have noticed that there is a typo in the path:

The first "o" in "Microsoft" is missing!

Even when I corrected the typo, it did Not make any change.

If you need an Entry to actually Remove the MS Edge FavIcons, you need to revert the changes done HERE.

Personally, I do Not want either my Edge FavIcons or Firefox Bookmarks Icons Removed.

In the future, whenever you decide to include winapp2.ini Entries, which aggressively Reset things,  PLEASE, warn the users accordingly.

37 minutes ago, 212eta said:

Even when I corrected the typo, it did Not make any change. ...

Then you must have done something wrong by mistake, because if this FileKey has deleted the icons...

FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge*\User Data\*|History*;Favicons*;Visited Links*;Top Sites*;Network Action Predictor*;Shortcuts

...then also this FileKey must delete the icons:

(Maybe Edge or CCleaner was not completely closed?)

41 minutes ago, 212eta said:

... In the future, whenever you decide to include winapp2.ini Entries, which aggressively Reset things,  PLEASE, warn the users accordingly.

I have neither suggested nor added the entries for the favicons.

No, I haven't done something wrong.

As seen HERE, the latest Winapp2.ini has

[Microsoft Edge History *]
LangSecRef=3006
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge*\User Data\*|History*;Visited Links*;Top Sites*;Network Action Predictor*;Shortcuts

which lacks the Favicons* part according to THIS suggestion.

Now I have the feeling that we are somehow talking completely past each other...

12 hours ago, 212eta said:

... [Microsoft Edge History *] ...
which lacks the Favicons* part according to THIS suggestion.

That is exactly right and intentional, since "Favicons*" has been moved to its own separate entry [Microsoft Edge Bookmark Favicons *]:

LangSecRef=3006

In my previous post, I just wanted to show that the FileKeys follow the same scheme and therefore the entry works.

wa2_edge_favicons.thumb.jpg.35e7a660a0f8dbc17afc3e3accdaea97.jpg

From my side, everything is now said on the subject of favicons.

19 hours ago, APMichael said:

Modified entries:

LangSecRef=3006

Fixed typo in FileKey1.

The following entry, from the latest Winapp2.ini (230224),

[Microsoft Edge Bookmarks Backup *]
LangSecRef=3006
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Micrsoft\Edge*\User Data\*|*Bookmarks.bak

has the same typo in its' FileKey1 - the first "o" in "Microsoft" is missing !!

@APMichael

Are you on Windows 11 22H2 x64 ?

Do you use the 1.5.8448.28847 winapp2ool and 230224 Winapp2.ini?

In my case, when checking 

ALL Edge Chromium entries (e.g. Microsoft Edge Bookmark Favicons*, Microsoft Edge History*, Microsoft Edge Bookmark Backup* etc.)

and

ALL Microsoft Edge  entries (e.g. Microsoft Edge*Microsoft Edge Favorites Backup*, and Microsoft Edge Favorites Icons*)

NOTHING is gone/lost/nuked when it comes to the Microsoft Edge Favorites Icons (=FavIcons).

*** I have made NO modifications when it comes to Winapp2.ini ***

Even when I corrected the Micrsoft typo, Nothing changed!!!

I just added the following to Blacklist.ini to prevent these from showing up in my CCleaner>Applications tab>Edge Chromium list.

[Microsoft Edge Bookmarks Backup *]

Had to perform a TRIM via winapp2ool.ini.  Of course the micrsoft typo has to be corrected in winapp2.ini as cbaumer0628 points out.

Edited by siliconman01
changed Whitelist to Blacklist..oops!

57 minutes ago, 212eta said:

... Are you on Windows 11 22H2 x64 ? ...
... NOTHING is gone/lost/nuked when it comes to the Microsoft Edge Favorites Icons (=FavIcons). ...
... Even when I corrected the 
Micrsoft typo, Nothing changed!!!

Actually, the Windows version does not matter, because Edge (Chromium) always stores the user profile in the same location. On my system I use the latest Windows 10 version. However, I also still test everything in a VM with the latest Windows 11 version.

If the entry [Microsoft Edge Bookmark Favicons *], although you have corrected the typo, does not delete the favicons, then I unfortunately cannot say what the reason is. There is no logical explanation for this.

In general: Before manually changing the Winapp2.ini in the directory of CCleaner, you have to make sure that CCleaner is completely closed. And after that, that the change to the FileKey is really saved. If it is not the portable version of CCleaner, you usually need admin rights for this.

Or you just wait for an updated version of the Winapp2.ini. I think @Winapp2.ini will release it soon.

The DetectFile in these three entries is incorrect in 230225

[Vivaldi Sessions *]
LangSecRef=3033
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\*\Extension State|*
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\*\session*|*

; End of Vivaldi
;
; Brave

[Brave Sessions *]
LangSecRef=3034
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser*\User Data\*\Extension State|*
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser*\User Data\*\session*|*

; End of Brave
;
; Opera

[Opera Sessions *]
LangSecRef=3027
FileKey1=%AppData%\Opera Software\Opera*\Extension State|*
FileKey2=%AppData%\Opera Software\Opera*\session*|*

There is a significant difference in what is in Windows Store, both on Win10 and Win11.  The comparison shown is the latest Winapp2.ini versus V220615.  Have these been incorporated elsewhere?

Win10Before.png

Win10Current.png

yes. most have been merged into other entries and some have simply been moved. i think the store as a standalone category no longer makes much sense to use as part of the latest work. In part because I merged UWP and win32 versions of many entries, but also in part because many things that are in this category are just components of the windows operating system built on UWP instead of win32. Essentially, the governing factor behind whether something is this LangSecRef appears to have been whether or not it has keys pointing to %LocalAppData%\Packages rather than whether or not it actually is an app which came from the Microsoft Store.

Accounts Control * has been merged into Windows Security *

ActiveSync * has been merged into Microsoft Outlook *

Chrome Sandbox * has been removed

Cloud Experience Host * has been merged into Windows Subsystems *

Content Delivery Manager * has been merged into Windows Lock Screen *

Feedback Hub * has been merged into Windows Feedback *

Lock Screen * has been merged into Windows Lock Screen *

Maps * has been renamed to Windows Maps *

MS Visual C++ Library * has been merged into Windows Language Libraries *

Network Speed Test * has been renamed to Microsoft Network Speed Test *

Ookla Speed Test App * has been merged into Ookla Speed Test *

Photos * has been merged into Windows Photos *

Print Dialog * has been merged into Windows Printing *

Settings * has been merged into Windows Settings *

Shell Experience Host * has been merged into Windows Shell *

SmartScreen App Reputation * has been merged into Windows Security *

Start Menu Experience Host * has been merged into Windows Start Menu *

Store * has been merged into Microsoft Store *

Store Purchase * has been merged into Microsoft Store *

Weather * has been merged into MSN Weather *

WebView Host * has been merged into Edge WebView Host *

Windows Client * has been merged into Windows Update *

Windows Library for JavaScript * has been merged into Windows Language Libraries *

Windows Search * and Windows Security * have been moved to LangSecRef=3025

Xbox Console Companion * has been merged into Xbox *

Hey, thanks for your prompt and thorough explanation.  Really appreciate it. 🙃

this output comes directly from Diff :) it has been updated in the latest version to detect when entries have been merged or renamed (rather than simply declaring entries in these categories "removed") under some circumstances. it's not perfect and has occasional false negatives (ie. something was merged but Diff can't tell for some reason, usually related to a broad wildcard), but doesn't seem to report false positives. If you're curious where an entry has gone or how it has changed, it's worth running. Unfortunately the output for diffing against 220615 is too large to fit entirely within the cmd window so you will have to save it has diff.txt or view the winapp2ool log to see the full text

version 220615 of Winapp2.ini had this entry:

[WebRender Shader Cache *]
LangSecRef=3026
Detect1=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Mozilla.Firefox_n80bbvh6b1yt2
Detect2=HKCU\Software\LibreWolf
Detect3=HKLM\Software\ComodoGroup\IceDragon
Detect4=HKLM\Software\FlashPeak\SlimBrowser
Detect5=HKLM\Software\Mozilla\Basilisk
Detect6=HKLM\Software\Mozilla\Pale Moon
Detect7=HKLM\Software\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
Detect8=HKLM\Software\Mozilla\Waterfox
DetectFile=%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox
FileKey1=%AppData%\Comodo\IceDragon\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%AppData%\FlashPeak\SlimBrowser\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey3=%AppData%\LibreWolf\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%AppData%\Moonchild Productions\Basilisk\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%AppData%\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey6=%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey7=%AppData%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey8=%AppData%\Waterfox\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey9=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Mozilla.Firefox_*\LocalCache\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\shader-cache|*.*|RECURSE

Unfortunately it seems to have been lost.  When Firefox or its variants have hardware acceleration enabled, the \shader-cache folder starts filling up.  If hardware acceleration is turned off, then Firefox doesn't make these files.

I see that the IceDragon FileKey1 migrated to Archived Entries.ini but the rest doesn't seem to have been carried forward.  I don't know if this should be added to [Firefox Caches *] or if this should remain a separate entry for those who don't like to clear the shader cache for whatever reason.