Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

Favorites Favicons

FavoritesFavicons.png

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

Where is the list of all the changes to the latest Winapp2.ini file?

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

The change made to [jv16 PowerTools *] is incorrect.  Clearing the Debug folder causes jv16 to fully re-initialize on startup.

[jv16 PowerTools *]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*|*.log;*.reg
FileKey2=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Backups|*|RECURSE
;FileKey3=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Debug|*
FileKey3=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Settings|*.log
FileKey4=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Temp|*|RECURSE

I will post an 'official' change log soon, after the initial cleanup work is completed. There's many hundreds of changes to the point where you may wish to consider resetting your ccleaner settings and reevaluating what each is doing, not all changes will necessarily stick/be non breaking although I've done my very best not to break stuff.

if you want to use the latest winapp2ool.ini to run a diff against 220615 it is attached. The latest tool has been improved significantly over the previous public release to handle the wide variety of changes made in this version of winapp2ool. let me know if you experience issues

winapp2-old.ini

6 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

The change made to [jv16 PowerTools *] is incorrect.  Clearing the Debug folder causes jv16 to fully re-initialize on startup.

[jv16 PowerTools *]
LangSecRef=3024
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*|*.log;*.reg
;FileKey3=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Debug|*
FileKey3=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Settings|*.log
FileKey4=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*\Temp|*|RECURSE

Is this a regression from when the key parameters were |*.* instead of |*? 220615 has this as *.* and I've been generally operating under the assumption that almost anywhere we have *.* we might actually wish to use * but this may not be the case here in particular

1 hour ago, Winapp2.ini said:

Is this a regression from when the key parameters were |*.* instead of |*? 220615 has this as *.* and I've been generally operating under the assumption that almost anywhere we have *.* we might actually wish to use * but this may not be the case here in particular

First, many thanks for releasing the revised version.

I think it's more because all the changes posted here since June 17, 2022 haven't made it into the new Winapp2.ini yet.

In this post, @siliconman01 made the changes:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/32310-winapp2ini-additions/?do=findComment&comment=338800

Yes, it appears that many, many posted changes have not been incorporated in the latest winapp2.ini.

Not to fear, they'll be along shortly. I was getting a little lost in the forest of what I was trying to do with winapp2.ini but I think I achieved the initial goal of a significant size reduction and general consolidation. There's a lot of work to be done modernizing entries, especially the browsers, that I was trying to include in this but I think it's best left to subsequent revisions rather than continuing to delay. I'm hoping that now that the major changes are through I'll be able to make more rapid smaller changes to bring things in line.

55 minutes ago, 212eta said:

Windows > Windows Settings* and Windows > Windows Shell* when checked destroy the Windows Explorer View Settings !!!
Microsoft Edge > Microsoft Edge Favorites Icons* when checked destroys the Edge FavIcons !!!

[Windows Settings *] only cleans the Windows "Settings" app and therefore cannot damage anything in Explorer settings. The entry was previously just called [Settings *] and has not changed otherwise.

However, it is true that [Windows Shell *] resets these Explorer view settings. That is why the old entry [Folders View Settings *] had a warning and a unique name before.

[Microsoft Edge Favorites Icons *] is only for the old original Microsoft Edge. The favicons of the current Edge are deleted by the entry [Microsoft Edge History *], as @siliconman01 already reported:

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/32310-winapp2ini-additions/?do=findComment&comment=340839

Thank you for the feedback and diligent testing so far. Fixes will be incoming regularly over the next few days to iron out some of these bugs. I had hoped that the extended availability on the 'beta' branch might have brought some of this to light earlier. Maybe we can develop a system for that in the future.

Bottom Line

-Resetting the Windows Explorer View settings  is Not a good idea.

-Removing the Microsoft Edge Favicons is Not a good idea, too.

These two (2) entries:  

Windows > Windows Shell*   

and 

Edge Chromium > Microsoft Edge History * 

should have NOT been there in the first place !!!

6 hours ago, 212eta said:

Bottom Line

-Resetting the Windows Explorer View settings  is Not a good idea.

If you don't want the Explorer View settings removed, then don't remove them, but for some people it is a very good idea to remove them as they represent a privacy concern.

The Explorer View Settings comes from a section in the registry known as the "ShellBags".  Windows creates a ShellBag entry for each folder that is viewed in Explorer.  There can be privacy concerns for many people if these are not cleared.  Each ShellBag includes the full path, folder name, creation time, last access  time, and last modification time for each folder.  It also includes the last visited date and time for each folder.

These are retained even after the folders are removed and ShellBag entries are created even for folders on external drives, network drives, and sometimes even search results.  If you use a ShellBag analyzer program you will find this information for any previously viewed folders on the hard drive, network drives, removable media, etc.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, PICPro said:

If you don't want the Explorer View settings removed, then don't remove them, but for some people it is a very good idea to remove them as they represent a privacy concern.

That's why I made certain exclusions in ccleaner.ini on my system at least going on two years by now when trying winapp2.ini cleaners done by others.

Getting the Folder view settings nuked in the past was a pain in the ass to say the very least, especially when Win10 itself doesn't sometimes play nice with the end-user when using global settings preferences for all folders.

I hope they fix soon enough what was described HERE

Having the Microsoft Edge Favicons removed is something common/average users will not like, too.

Most users, especially the average ones, want Winapp2.ini  to simply clean things out without Reverting Settings (i.e. turning Settings back to the Default ones) and in turn, forcing users to modify Settings again! I've had a really bad experience with BleachBit, PrivaZer, System Ninja and other ones!!!                                                                                                                                                                     

It is nice to see this project active again.  I've been waiting to see what the revamped version all contains before adding more contributions.  I really like how it turned out so far.  Thank you.

Running Vivaldi browser, adds a file, usually zero byte, to the root of the user profile called ".vivaldi_reporting_data", at least when installed in Program Files for all users on Windows 7 x64.  I'm suggesting to add FileKey12 below to remove this file.

[Vivaldi Telemetry *]
LangSecRef=3033
Detect=HKCU\Software\Vivaldi
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\Application\SetupMetrics|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\*|Media History
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\*|Network Persistent State
FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\*\Feature Engagement Tracker|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\*\Network|Network Persistent State
FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\*\Site Characteristics Database|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey7=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\*\VideoDecodeStats|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey8=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\BrowserMetrics|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey9=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\Crashpad|metadata
FileKey10=%LocalAppData%\Vivaldi\User Data\Crashpad\reports|*
FileKey11=%ProgramFiles%\Vivaldi\Application\SetupMetrics|*|REMOVESELF
FileKey12=%UserProfile%|.vivaldi_reporting_data
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Vivaldi\BrowserExitCodes

Modified entry:  [jv16 PowerTools Logs *]

Added *.txt to FileKey1 

[jv16 PowerTools Logs *]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools\jv16PT.exe
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools\Debug|*.log;*.txt
FileKey2=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools\Settings|*.log

NOTE:  All the changes and improvements are very much appreciated. 😉

Edited by siliconman01
Added Note:

Winapp2.ini used to contain this entry:

[Opera *]
LangSecRef=3027
DetectFile=%LocalAppData%\Opera\Opera*
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Opera\Opera*|*.log
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Opera\Opera*\application_cache|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Opera\Opera*\icons|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Opera\Opera*\logs|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Opera\Opera*\temporary_downloads|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Opera\Opera*\thumbnails|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey7=%LocalAppData%\Opera\Opera*\vps|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey8=%UserProfile%\.opera|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey9=%UserProfile%\Downloads\.opera|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey10=%UserProfile%\Downloads\Opera Autoupdate|*.log
FileKey11=%UserProfile%\Opera Autoupdate|*.log
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Opera Software|Last CommandLine v2

This was the entry for the older Presto based Opera Browsers (up to Opera 12.18) which Opera last updated in 2016. I understand removing this from Winapp2.ini as obsolete, however this entry didn't migrate to "Archived entries.ini" with the other obsolete entries for people to retrieve the entries if they still need them.  Since this program is still used by some people for its newsreader, RSS reader, email, chat client, etc, I think this entry should be put into Archived entries.ini for those who could use it.  Presto based Opera is still supported in CCleaner in Winapp.ini for basic cleaning.

Probably this entry should now be renamed to something like [Opera 12.x *], [Opera Presto *], [Opera Pre Chromium *], or something like that to avoid confusion with the new Opera browser that is quite different.

Thank you.

According to THIS, the last stable version of winapp2ool is the 1.4+.

In the winapp2ool Settings, I have selected Not to participate in the beta builds.

However, when opening version 1.4.7419.18289, I receive a notification related to a new version 1.5.8448.28847.

Is this version a Stable one?

Modified entry:  [jv16 PowerTools Backups *] 

Changed kv16 to jv16

jv16 PowerTools Backups *]
LangSecRef=3024
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools*|*.reg

HOWEVER, I thought it is the general policy not to include backup file removals in Winapp2.ini ! 🤨

JFI

Bitdefender Internet Security blocks downloading the latest Winapp2ool.exe

Infected web page detected
an hour ago
Feature:
Online Threat Prevention
We blocked this dangerous page for your protection: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/Branch1/winapp2ool/bin/Release/winapp2ool.exe Dangerous pages attempt to install software that can harm the device, gather personal information or operate without your consent.