Need a new firewall

LuLu

• Moderators

One less standalone firewall available now,

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Symantec took over PCTools a while ago and slowly seems to be gobbling parts of the pctools programs up.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Well, oddly enough I was able to get the ZA update to work. Someone suggested turning off Avast and disconnecting from the net (something I never had to do with AVG) and low and behold, it worked! My desktop is still as slow as a slug when booting up and opening programs, but after hearing how iTunes is such a drain on some systems, I'm starting to think that's what's causing my issues. Well, that and lack of disk space lol.

But my next question is this. Since Avast has it's own shields running, do I need to have my Spybot SD Resident thing still running?

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

But my next question is this. Since Avast has it's own shields running, do I need to have my Spybot SD Resident thing still running?

I personally would not have Spybot running resident. Tbh like a lot of people i think spybot has dropped down a few pegs over the last few years.

Avast running on it's own is more then enough. I personally only have 2 of avast shields running. It's suits me to run it that way. If your system is slow have a look at what you are running resident. Just because something is offered does not mean you have to run it. It's your choice. The choice is there for what you need and you thinks best suited for you.

Just because a cafe offers a selection to hopefully suit every one, does not mean you have to eat every thing. Because that would slow you down.

(some cases)

No fate but what we make

What's the easiest way to disable it? Windows Start-Up Inspector? Or should I just uninstall Spybot altogether?

• Moderators

I know under the XP GP group policy editor, you can configure a new rule to block say, the Avira Antivirus process for loading ads from loading. The ads never appear.

Yes that works great in Avira AntiVir and I use it myself but also with a negative since if you disable the avnotify.exe file from loading you also can't get any virus information about a detection - but there's still Google to find out what it has found.

• Moderators

Symantec took over PCTools a while ago and slowly seems to be gobbling parts of the pctools programs up.

While I used PC Tools free firewall sometime ago I didn't like the LSP hooks it put into a system. And their free antivirus, well it's forgettable.

• Moderators

What's the easiest way to disable it? Windows Start-Up Inspector? Or should I just uninstall Spybot altogether?

Inside of Spybot-S&D there should be something about it's resident part that you can untick. It's resident shield works good with Internet Explorer though, if you're an IE user.

I haven't used Spybot-S&D for almost two years now myself, and haven't missed it one bit, but I did however replace it with MBAM.

I haven't used Spybot-S&D for almost two years now myself, and haven't missed it one bit, but I did however replace it with MBAM.

This basically, all thought i dont have MBAM real time.

No fate but what we make

I don't know if this is good or bad. On the one hand, PC tools Antivirus was plagued with false positives a while back, causing machines to blue screen from taking out critical components necessary for windows to run.

On the other hand, a lot of their stuff was free. Maybe Symantec will make them, ahem!, better? *Crosses fingers!*

P.S. I am not certain how their firewall stacked up, but I should have a version, or multiple versions backed up where I downloaded them over time. I will be testing them later to see how they do on leak tests/flaws etc.

MBAM is great. So is Super Antispyware.

There are malware like fake antivirus solutions that if they are removed (whether manually or with a program that automatically removes them) they take out your registry keys necessary to run executable programs, leaving you unable to load anything but Windows.

No task manager, ccleaner, mbam, antivirus, just only load into windows! No application associated to run EXE type error!

I alerted Super Antispyware to this problem a while back, & though I had a way to repair it, they thanked me & sent me their version, which worked wonderfully. I reported the success to them & they are definitely great people as well.

MBAM is good. I second that.

Might want to add an EXE fixer to your arsenal though, because if MBAM encounters a malware that wipes out your EXE associations on removal, you won't be even able to load system restore. The EXE fix file doesn't launch a normal EXE process, it launches uses a .com executable, so it is able to instantly repair the problem.

Inside of Spybot-S&D there should be something about it's resident part that you can untick. It's resident shield works good with Internet Explorer though, if you're an IE user.

I thought so until I opened the program and couldn't find anything. :blink:

I think I have that too...

MrDon I have to say that you have posted a load of rubbish there, you make it sound like the end of the world will happen.

I am a tester for a firewall software company and can tell you that unless a previous firewall is completely removed the next one you install may not run properly.

Some companies make good uninstallers and after rebooting twice afterwards you are good to go. (Two reboots are needed to uninstall the drivers of some security softwares, first reboot windows disables the drivers, second reboot it uninstalls them) Also using third party uninstallers (such as Revo)on security software instead of the products own one can cause real problems.

Some people cause problems for themselves with software firewalls by trying to control everything so tightly that they stop it from working properly.

Lulu asked about free firewalls in her initial post and that's what I gave her. My advice about making sure the old one was properly removed first was sensible so don't go telling me to be careful in what I said.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, Hazel. In the past, after using ZA pro, then deciding to uninstall it, all internet access was killed to my machine till I reinstalled it & used ZA to grant full access, then uninstalled again. It did not matter how many reboots I had. Same thing happened once in using Ashampoo firewall. Simply put, they left a filter driver on the system due to a poorly written uninstallation procedure that did not full remove all they put up there.

A lot of programs do that, & firewalls especially are very tricky to deal with at times. A sample of information repositories that can be left is in the user %appdata% folder, %programfiles%\common files folder, sometimes even remnants in the %programfiles% folder, files dumped to the %windir%\system32 folder, even using C:\Windows, the registry HKEY_Local_Machine & HKEY_Current_User trees.

Additional clutter can be scattered anywhere in the registry including extensions listing, restore point data, MS software\plugins folders.

I followed proper uninstall & reboot procedure, but this particular version had the problem. If you are in doubt of this, perhaps I can send you a copy of the file for personal testing sometime, :P

Ok, so maybe I wouldn't go to that extreme level, but I could perhaps posts screenshots of the entire process for your viewing pleasure/displeasure! :lol:

Peace! Night!

Hi LuLu. :) I have Spybot installed, have had for a long time. The tea timer is a very effective protector, but I have recently disabled it because it uses a ton of memory, and updating S&D has some sort of conflict with Sandboxie.

Pity, my opinion, because SpyBot and Spywareblaster pretty much saved the internet 20 years ago.

Spybot does not conflict with Avast, nor does SpywareBlaster.

I am not using windows right now so cannot post a screenshot, but there are instructions here for disabling it here: Safer Networking. One of the links at the bottom goes to here: Disable.... It will stay disabled until you re-enable it...won't start back at reboot.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Might want to add an EXE fixer to your arsenal though, because if MBAM encounters a malware that wipes out your EXE associations on removal, you won't be even able to load system restore.

I have one, an old .REG file which I keep in the Windows folder, and there's also Kelly's Corner and Doug Knox's websites to download file association fixes.

Since I have multiple stages of backups from disk images, to system restore points, to ERUNT backups nothing would keep me down for long at all! Also if confronted with an infection that has destroyed the ability to open .EXE files you can rename an .EXE file temporarily to something else like .BAT, .COM, etc., which are also executable.

Hi LuLu. :) I have Spybot installed, have had for a long time. The tea timer is a very effective protector, but I have recently disabled it because it uses a ton of memory, and updating S&D has some sort of conflict with Sandboxie.

Pity, my opinion, because SpyBot and Spywareblaster pretty much saved the internet 20 years ago.

Spybot does not conflict with Avast, nor does SpywareBlaster.

I am not using windows right now so cannot post a screenshot, but there are instructions here for disabling it here: Safer Networking. One of the links at the bottom goes to here: Disable.... It will stay disabled until you re-enable it...won't start back at reboot.

You rock. Thank you!! I knew there was an option somewhere, I just for the life of me could not find it. Never thought to click the Advanced settings thing. lol Thanks again!

• Moderators

Lulu is the hidden Spybot game still there?

When doing a scan you used to be able to click on the binoculars icon next to ''search and destroy'' and play a hidden game while waiting for the scan to finish.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

When uninstalling an intrusive program, I run ccleaner as part of the uninstall. :)

How so? CCleane rhas no ability to uninstall any application other then invoking the own applications uninstaller? Unless you scan for left over reg keys?

No fate but what we make

When doing a scan you used to be able to click on the binoculars icon next to ''search and destroy'' and play a hidden game while waiting for the scan to finish.

I honestly I have no idea. I didn't know there was a hidden game. Now I'm gonna have to find out when I boot up the ol' desktop later. lol

Yes...when you click on them, a horse whinnies. Scared the dickens out of me as I wasn't ready for it.

3.gif

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Yes...when you click on them, a horse whinnies. Scared the dickens out of me as I wasn't ready for it.

3.gif

I didn't get anything like that when I clicked on them. No game either. But then, my desktop is in it's own little realm so things like that just might have no worked on it. lol

Lulu

Back to your original question I have Online Armor the free version they have just released version 4.5 (free) I am no expert but I like it :) !

Fluffy

I've been hearing good things about Online Armor. Once I can get my stuff backed up and get this thing cleaned up, I'll probably try it. I did get my Zone Alarm to finally update so I'm not bothering with too much more at the moment. This poor desktop just doesn't like to be changed. lol