Need a new firewall

LuLu

First off, I know I've become absent again. I apologize!!! I've missed you all. :) Hopefully I can get back to logging in as frequently as I used to.

Now, like the subject says, I need a new firewall. After attempting to update Zone Alarm on my desktop, I've had nothing but issues. Random beeps and everything seems to be running much slower. And I say attempting to update because it never actually updated. For some reason, my desktop says heck no! to the update. I don't really know why. lol It didn't have a problem switching from AVG to Avast! Anti-Virus. Possible software conflict there now?

So I'm asking for advice on a new, FREE (lol) firewall. What one(s) do you all recommend? Pros and cons? Any known software conflicts?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators

There are a couple of free ones you could try.

Online Armor and PCTools.

One thing though lulu you must make sure all remnants of a previous firewall are uninstalled before installing another one.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I think the two Firewalls you should consider are Comodo and Outpost.

http://free.agnitum.com/ However, if you use Windows 7, Outpost Firewall (FREE) won't work, you'll have to use the paid version. I have been told that Outpost is a little less annoying than Comodo in terms of pop-ups and more customizable.

And here is Comodo: http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

I hope this helps.

Simplicity is hard.

Yeah I'm running XP. I'll have a look-see at the ones you all suggested. Thanks!!

• Moderators

In the past ZoneAlarm and Avast 4 didn't perfectly get along 100%, I don't know about Avast 5 though. In the past it was best to install ZoneAlarm first, then install Avast second, that was so Avast could automatically disable some shield that wasn't compatible with ZoneAlarm.

Another vote for Windows Firewall from me, you shouldn't get any conflicts with any of the freeware antivirus' from it. Also don't forget for a freeware antivirus there's also the highly regarded Microsoft Security Essentials, which I truly wish I could use but it's too heavy on my system.

In the past ZoneAlarm and Avast 4 didn't perfectly get along 100%, I don't know about Avast 5 though. In the past it was best to install ZoneAlarm first, then install Avast second, that was so Avast could automatically disable some shield that wasn't compatible with ZoneAlarm.

Oh I've had ZoneAlarm installed for years. It was a few days after I installed Avast! that I got the pop-up telling me ZA had to be updated. And apparently I wasn't allowed to do that. lol My desktop is very finicky. Always has been so I have to be very careful what I do to it, especially since I can't back up my mp3's, pics and vids to anything else right now.

Another vote for Windows Firewall from me, you shouldn't get any conflicts with any of the freeware antivirus' from it. Also don't forget for a freeware antivirus there's also the highly regarded Microsoft Security Essentials, which I truly wish I could use but it's too heavy on my system.

I may just go ahead and try Windows Firewall by itself, but some people in the past told me that it's not as safe as others (which is one of the reasons why I chose to keep ZoneAlarm for so long). But we'll see. Thanks!!!!

There are a couple of free ones you could try.

Online Armor and PCTools.

One thing though lulu you must make sure all remnants of a previous firewall are uninstalled before installing another one.

Hazel, I used Zone Alarm before, & it is no picknick. It can work great.

I say it can, because it also can't! If you have problems, that is...

I have run the official Zone Labs Uninstaller back when I used it, only to have it lock down my machine where I had no web access whatsoever. System restore? Glad I have it!

The problem I had was not in running it, but when I removed it, it killed programs from accessing the web. So I would have to re-install it & grant all programs access, then remove it, basically turn it all "on" for the web softwarewise first!

Hazel, please be careful advising someone to totally remove something like this, because playing around with a firewall can be dangerous & using a program like Revo Uninstaller to attempt to "remove it all" can be ahem, less than perfect! You usually have good advice, but I just wanted to inform you of the potential problems of your advice.

P.S. There was also another program that did the same trick as Zone Alarm. Ashampoo firewall. I don't use those for now, so I am going to be testing other firewalls later on such as Lavasoft/Online Armor/Tiny/Kerio/etc, etc, etc. I do have a long list to go through...

Anyway, take care now, & have a good day! I am tired, but in the meantime, lol, just remember, trying to completely remove a firewall (using it's own un-installer?) is what gave me problems in the first place.

I would suggest that you have a working backup image of your OS before playing with firewalls, because some of them work good while others will lock all internet access on removal & require you to nearly be a computer tech to get it back!

Always be sure you have a working complete backup using something like Drive Image XML, because when you are working with firewalls, even uninstalling them can cause problems! I don't normally post such warnings, but I just wanted to let you know what I have found out through personal experience, because I do not want other users to make the same mistakes I did.

Night!

Mr Don...I am now running scared. lol After reading your post, I think I may just leave Zone Alarm alone and just deal with it. The problems you seem to have had are probably mirror images of what I would encounter on that desktop of mine. So thanks for the post. You may have just saved me from ripping my hair out.

• Moderators

MrDon I have to say that you have posted a load of rubbish there, you make it sound like the end of the world will happen.

I am a tester for a firewall software company and can tell you that unless a previous firewall is completely removed the next one you install may not run properly.

Some companies make good uninstallers and after rebooting twice afterwards you are good to go. (Two reboots are needed to uninstall the drivers of some security softwares, first reboot windows disables the drivers, second reboot it uninstalls them) Also using third party uninstallers (such as Revo)on security software instead of the products own one can cause real problems.

Some people cause problems for themselves with software firewalls by trying to control everything so tightly that they stop it from working properly.

Lulu asked about free firewalls in her initial post and that's what I gave her. My advice about making sure the old one was properly removed first was sensible so don't go telling me to be careful in what I said.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I really do dislike firewall 3rd party software. I would go insain with all the accept messages

No fate but what we make

LuLu, I use outpost free. The handiest feature is the "auto-Learn" switch. That causes it to remember whatever connections are needed by a new installation, and it can be turned on or off at any time. It does run a bit heavier that Avira, thougn.

And I am a bit concerned about what is going out. For years, Powershadow has tried to phone home about an hour after it starts...I blocked it w/ outpost settings.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Unless you use a third party firewall you don't really see what actually calls 'home'. When you do start > search and write in a word, Windows Explorer calls Microsoft, same when you use Windows Media player, soon as you start playing anything it rings home to tell them what you are playing (even with the privacy settings all unticked)

Many softwares call home and although this may not bother most people, I like to be able to decide myself what connects out from my machine.

Having said that the windows 7 firewall is much improved from the one on XP.

It's all about what suits you and your way of using your machine. I don't think there is a 'best' way of using or having a firewall, there is just your own way.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

All this data is anonymous. The main point of it is to have large amounts of data so they can improve their next product.

Office 2007/10's Ribbon, for example, was heavily influenced by what users used, didn't use, how much, how often, etc.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

playing around with a firewall can be dangerous & using a program like Revo Uninstaller to attempt to "remove it all" can be ahem, less than perfect!

Removing any security software that hooks into the system so deeply such as firewall and antivirus software can be a potential disaster if using third-party uninstall tools to remove them such as Revo Uninstaller because the original uninstaller expects an immediate system restart to remove locked resident protection, this is especially true if using tools like Total Uninstall and ZSoft Uninstaller which will often fail to remove security software.

Firewall and antivirus software need their original uninstallers used first to properly remove them, and then a system restart is needed even if not prompted to restart. And it wouldn't hurt to try Hazelnut's suggestion in other topics about doing two reboots/restarts to make sure it's safe to continue. After a system restart using saved uninstall info from Total Uninstall or ZSoft Uninstaller, etc., can then be safely used to get rid of what's left behind. The same could probably be with sandbox software due to the way it interacts with the system.

And it wouldn't hurt to try Hazelnut's suggestion in other topics about doing two reboots/restarts to make sure it's safe to continue.

I was always under the impression that a single Reboot, CCleaner, Total Uninstall did the work.

Simplicity is hard.

• Moderators

In the case of some security softwares and in particular firewalls the drivers are disabled by windows on the first reboot and uninstalled on the second. I can see this clearly happening in device manager when uninstalling my firewall.

I now always reboot twice after uninstalling security type software, before I install a new one.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

....Another vote for Windows Firewall from me, you shouldn't get any conflicts with any of the freeware antivirus' from it. Also don't forget for a freeware antivirus there's also the highly regarded Microsoft Security Essentials, which I truly wish I could use but it's too heavy on my system.

Since the W98SE days through XP and even with my Vista I've used Zone Alarm Free. Kind of if it works and you're used to it why change?

1. I noticed more recent bothersome "update to ZA Pro" messages, you click "notify me in 60 days" but they were coming almost everyday. I finally scrapped it.

2. ALSO I recently got a deal on Norton 360 so I'm now going all Norton on the security. From what I've been reading viruses, malware, etc. are getting so much more numerous and sophisticated it's worth getting better antivirus programs. Plus it's really easy with everything in one utility.

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

Since the W98SE days through XP and even with my Vista I've used Zone Alarm Free. Kind of if it works and you're used to it why change?

1. I noticed more recent bothersome "update to ZA Pro" messages, you click "notify me in 60 days" but they were coming almost everyday. I finally scrapped it.

2. ALSO I recently got a deal on Norton 360 so I'm now going all Norton on the security. From what I've been reading viruses, malware, etc. are getting so much more numerous and sophisticated it's worth getting better antivirus programs. Plus it's really easy with everything in one utility.

This is interesting. I know under the XP GP group policy editor, you can configure a new rule to block say, the Avira Antivirus process for loading ads from loading. The ads never appear. Sometimes in Yahoo, Avira, other programs, the ad loader or updater is an entirely separate executable process that you can block.

Haven't tried in Zone Alarm yet, but wonder if it would be possible to create a manual block list rule for the "reminders to update"?

Perhaps I will test later!

That's how I felt until it took a dump on my desktop. lol I never had problems with ZA until this recent update they came up with. It works just fine on my laptop though, which is weird considering the same base programs (AOL, Avast! Anti-Virus, Spybot, etc) are installed on both PCs. Maybe it's my iTunes that's causing the issue now that I think about it. Hmm...

Good luck with Norton. I always had the trial versions and never had much luck with them. Same with McAfee. Go figure. lol

Really good deal? Norton? Being a better Anti Virus? Them words have probably never been said together before, and i suspect never again. Norton is a bloated resource hog "virus" in it's own right that could not detect and infection even if it was hanging out it's ***

I would never install Norton on any machine, Let a lone part with my hard earned money for it. But this is off topic so i will end my post there. Current topic is Firewalls.

No fate but what we make