Need a new firewall

LuLu

I have one, an old .REG file which I keep in the Windows folder, and there's also Kelly's Corner and Doug Knox's websites to download file association fixes.

Since I have multiple stages of backups from disk images, to system restore points, to ERUNT backups nothing would keep me down for long at all! Also if confronted with an infection that has destroyed the ability to open .EXE files you can rename an .EXE file temporarily to something else like .BAT, .COM, etc., which are also executable.

I knew about these other types running, but did not think about renaming them. Good idea.

Now I can rename system restore (maybe?) to a .com & see if it will run restore to a former date. Guess I have to download another virus, just to see if this works with that idea! If it works, I will be able to make an emergency self extractor to drop the .com version into the system32 folder in the right place & go with it!

Awesome!

A while back, a program a friend had was labeled falsely by Norton AV as a trojan when I tried to upload it to my email. Nsis scripts seem to be bad for that! I got around it by sending it to a zip file, then adding a password to the zip, then removing the .zip extension.

Norton failed to be able to scan it, did not know what it was or what to do with it, so it let it through. I was able to download it & bypass the scanner.

Yippppppeeee! P.S. Vispa is also marked & auto deleted for being based on nsis scripts by norton/mcaffee/avg/comodo etc. But Vispa is awesome for editing settings!

Really good deal? Norton? Being a better Anti Virus? Them words have probably never been said together before, and i suspect never again. Norton is a bloated resource hog "virus" in it's own right that could not detect and infection even if it was hanging out it's ***

I would never install Norton on any machine, Let a lone part with my hard earned money for it. But this is off topic so i will end my post there. Current topic is Firewalls.

Yes, the Norton 360 also has the Smart Firewall.

I've been reading all of the stats on threats detected, Symantec rated very high (or better) than almost all out there, if you want I'll look it up.

Edit add - there are a lot of different opinions out there, most people just get used to what they've been using and don't change much.

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

• Moderators

[educated opinion]Symantec Enterprise is great, Norton (Symantec Home) has the tendency to mess with people's computer[/opinion]

I do use Symantec Enterprise Endpoint Protection 11

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

There are tons of reviews out there on all things security related, YES Free Zone Alarm is fine, I used it for ~10 years. Suites are nice (also with firewalls, our topic here ;) ) if you don't want to bother with everything -and- want to pay for that convience.

Here is just one review from PC Mag:

Norton Internet Security 2009

This is definitely the slimmest, most unobtrusive Norton ever. Its protection is top-notch where it counts, though antispam and parental controls are still weak. As the best all-around security suite to date (I'll be installing it myself), it's our new Editors' Choice.

Another edit add - Norton 360 had a much longer write-up to put here but it was the only other Editors' Choice.

-------------------------

(I didn't read much anywhere about Symantec or Norton being "crap".)

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

[educated opinion]Symantec Enterprise is great, Norton (Symantec Home) has the tendency to mess with people's computer[/opinion]

I do use Symantec Enterprise Endpoint Protection 11

Wow, that way above us home users.

I see where it is 5 star rated and better vs. McAfee, Trend Micro and Kaspersky among others.