disabling windows explorer on start up

hello2007

whenever I check my desktop windows manager I always see windows explorer there taking up space for no reason. I use firefox and explorer comes on the desktop windows manager whenever I start my computer so I'm wondering how can I disable this?

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

can you guys tell me how to disable windows explorer it if it's safe? thanks for the clear up on the internet and windows terms

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

can you guys tell me how to disable windows explorer it if it's safe? thanks for the clear up on the internet and windows terms

Ok. I'm gonna show you what windows explorer is.

(this is the XP way, I'm not sure if it's different in other OSs)

First press Crtl-Alt-Del

Task Manager will show up (remember not to close it)

Go to processes

right-click on explorer.exe and select End Process.

:blink: right?

Now (in task manager) go to Applications > New task.

type explorer.exe and hit enter.

If you closed task manager just press Crtl-Alt-Del again or reboot.

Do you still want to disable windows explorer? :lol:

whenever I check my desktop windows manager I always see windows explorer there taking up space for no reason. I use firefox and explorer comes on the desktop windows manager whenever I start my computer so I'm wondering how can I disable this?

I'm afraid you can't stop explorer.exe from running as already stated by Glenn its an essential part of the Windows operating system. It doesn't mean that Windows Explorer is running all the time in the background. Its the same with Systray.exe (Win9x/ME)and Mctray.exe (WinNT) thats the part around your clock that shows tasks and icons.

As metalj has stated

Ok. I'm gonna show you what windows explorer is.

(this is the XP way, I'm not sure if it's different in other OSs)

First press Crtl-Alt-Del

Task Manager will show up (remember not to close it)

Go to processes

right-click on explorer.exe and select End Process.

Now (in task manager) go to Applications > New task.

type explorer.exe and hit enter.

If you closed task manager just press Crtl-Alt-Del again or reboot.

Do you still want to disable windows explorer?

In Win98SE if you End Task Explorer.exe you will get the shutdown dialog box straight away. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

You could replace explorer with a 3rd party window manager.

Did you try what metalj said ?

You cannot replace explorer with something else. You can use something else, like Total Commander, but you can't replace it.

Another thing with explorer :

Click on the taskbar.

Alt + F4.

Windows asks you if you want to shutdown your computer...

Piriform French translator

Sure you can. I use bbclean with a memory limiting plugin. Hovers around 5mb RAM usage when idle.

Be sure explorer isn't running anymore along with the replacement one though as this will accomplish nothing except using more resources. I can't speak for others but bbclean and bblean require you to use the 'install' option from it's menu. Otherwise it'll run on top of explorer and may not work as expected.

Some more- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_shell_replacement

If you replace it you can still use explorer for file manager functions as normal. explorer.exe will start and close for that.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

There is also a "clean" way to stop explorer.exe instead of killing it,

goto the "shut down windows" dialog box

press and hold CTRL-SHIFT-ALT then click Cancel on the dialog box,

your taskbar and desktop icons will disappear as explorer exits (start it again as metalj explained)

!! ONLY read further if you KNOW what you're doing !!

FOR Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003 ...

Explorer.exe is started by userinit, and userinit is started by winlogon upon login of the user.

all of this is configured in the registry under:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion\Winlogon

There is an entry called "Shell" which has explorer.exe in it and an entry "userinit" which has userinit.exe in it.

the program under "userinit" is started once when you log in, and should do its stuff and lastly execute whatever is in "Shell"

the program under "Shell" is then again executed whenever winlogon detects that your explorer has stopped unexpectedly

In other words, if you change for example the "explorer.exe" under "Shell" to "cmd.exe" a command window is started instead of explorer.exe

BEWARE: if some nonexisting program is set in "Shell" you may not be able to login anymore !!!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa378750(VS.85).aspx (at the bottom)

Throw notepad.exe in the the shell for a laugh :)

Note: ctrl+alt+delete to run regedit and correct it back.

hmm way back when I tried it on a college test pc I should have tried shutdown.exe..... lol

fireryone