How many Processes does your computer have?

q231

My WinXP Pro system is running 58 processes with no apparent slowness.

I'm running Folding@Home, WinPatrol Plus, AVG Free, IE7 and Windows Defender.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

My WinXP Pro system is running 58 processes with no apparent slowness.

I'm running Folding@Home, WinPatrol Plus, AVG Free, IE7 and Windows Defender.

that's alot of processes you have there :D

18, when browser is not running. Note, that you have to minus the taskmanager process, since it's only running when you open TaskManager. Btw, can you count the "System idle process" as an actual process?

Also, i start up the Spool service only when i'm going to print. Service is set to "Manual" and i have made a batch files to quickly start and stop the service.

Here's how you do a batch file to start or stop the service: Open Notepad and type NET START "name of the service" (with quotes) and save it as a .bat file. To stop service, just replace START with STOP.

Here's an example: NET START "Spooler"

My WinXP Pro system is running 58 processes

It's not easy to notice, if there's a virus or some other pesky process running. I can tell immediately, if i got some new/unwanted process(es) running.

38 here ^_^

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

humpty you have the least processes :D are you running on a dual core?

Core 2 duo with 2 gig ddr2. ;)

Just a bit of a hobby of mine in thinning out XP's files/folders and registry. :rolleyes:

The pic below shows the size of my XP pro install with all my needed security/maintenance apps including a pagefile of 256 meg min.

yeah post one :D

EDIT:

i have found an alternative way on how to remove the ctfmon.exe. it can be found here :D

Well q123 Hello,

You never know what you might find following these threads.

I went to your link.

Boy was that tough. All that clicking and checking and applying.Just to get rid of CTFMON.EXE .

Of course Millions of others have been wondering how to do it.

SIMPLE.

THANKS for the link, :o davey

By the way now I'm down from about 55 processes to 39.It all helps when you only have 256 MB of RAM.Every little bit removed helps keep the page rate down.

hmm..27 processes on a vista ultimate? that's quite unusual :D because my friend when he did a clean install (with minimum requirements >.<) he has over 42 processes already and was extremely slow. haha..anyways keep posting up guys :D