Hosts File Update

Icedrake

Nikki one at a time

comment each of the blocked items in hostxpert

close the browser

Reopen the browser to the movie, then when it plays use hostxpert's whitelist feature. When ever you update host file (use replace in hostxpert not merge) go to whitelist feature and choose remove whitelist items.

I may give that a try. I haven't had Homer installed long enough to play around with all it's options & features.

The "video" I am trying to watch is live broadcasts, not a movie or stored video like on YouTube. There may only be a live broadcast once every few days, so it will take me awhile to actually try it. I'll have to wait for a live feed to be scheduled.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

I may give that a try. I haven't had Homer installed long enough to play around with all it's options & features.

The "video" I am trying to watch is live broadcasts, not a movie or stored video like on YouTube. There may only be a live broadcast once every few days, so it will take me awhile to actually try it. I'll have to wait for a live feed to be scheduled.

homer has no features

All of what I listed is in hostxpert

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've used the mvps hosts file for several years.  A couple months ago I installed HostsXpert but continued updating the hosts file manually.  Today, I tried to use the update function of HostsXpert to get the update, but it didn't work.  I get a couple messages, but always end up with "HostsXpert Cannot connect to the website."

Before that I also get a message about the DNSClient Service is running, but I just clicked on OK to proceed.

Has anyone else used HostsXpert to successfully update the mvps hosts file?

• Moderators
I get a couple messages, but always end up with "HostsXpert Cannot connect to the website."

Before that I also get a message about the DNSClient Service is running, but I just clicked on OK to proceed.

Has anyone else used HostsXpert to successfully update the mvps hosts file?

I haven't tried December's but I've never had trouble with updating using merge (i add sort but that's not relevant). Outside of XP (I.e in vista/7/8 ) I have just ignored dns warning, with no issue.

EDIT: make sure you're running xpert as admin

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I should have mentioned that this was on the Win7 laptop.  Anyway, running it as Admin fixed the problem (oops). I was able to download & replace the file with no issue, ignoring the DNS warning.  Thanks, Nergal for pointing me in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Can someone verify against their installed copy of the current MVPS HOSTS file!

I went to block a tracking site and noticed that perhaps MVPS has the wrong localhost saved in it as in for all of the 13951 sites listed from the MVPS download?

To block the sites we'd normally see stuff like this (I'm choosing the very first site address listed in the current MVPS (Updated December-06-2013)):

127.0.0.1 fr.a2dfp.net

However, the current MVPS (Updated December-06-2013) has this listed:

0.0.0.0 fr.a2dfp.net

It's saved to block via 0.0.0.0, but it's hosts file only has this set as the localhost at the top (which to me means it wouldn't work, but I'm not sure):

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 localhost #[IPv6]

If 0.0.0.0 blocking was going to work, I'd think it would need to be this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

0.0.0.0 localhost

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

That answers it, however the maintainer needs to change the part in the HOSTS file where it reads "This *must* be the first line: 127.0.0.1  localhost".

I'd think they'd also need to input it like this for all Windows OSes to understand it and use it properly (but I'm no expert in this, it's just the experience I've gathered over the years.):

127.0.0.1 localhost

0.0.0.0 localhost

I've personally changed all mine being I'm on WinXP, it's not a big deal for a text editor to swap 0.0.0.0 with 127.0.0.1 since I'll never use IE11 to have the issues discussed.

• Moderators
it's not a big deal for a text editor to swap 0.0.0.0 with 127.0.0.1 since I'll never use IE11 to have the issues discussed.

I don't have my computer up but I'm pretty sure HostXpert has a one click button to switch from 127 to 0 and back

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If your download speeds and computer is slow for any particular reason while using a large HOSTS file have a look into the Services. Something and I don't know what re-enabled the DNS Client on my system, had to set it back to Manual.

Edited by Andavari

I need DNS Client for homegroup (laptop plays files from this computer etc).

HostsMan is a great tool to update & check & edit the hosts-file.

I've noticed significant slowness in OS start & responsiveness while using a huge hosts-file & DNS client enabled (not just network slowness).

Edited by nodles