User Info

Keithuk

Now I use a lot of forums as some of you may know. I read a lot of posts on there where the user doesn't give us the basic system info. Now some forums ask the certain info is posted before they will consider answering a post, mainly AVG Forum. I think there should be a pinned topic on each forum called Please read before you post or something similar. Quite a few forum have a pinned topic on this subject.

The basic info needed normally is Operating System with Service Pack number. Web Browser(s), Product and version number on here.

This info is easily added to your signature mine is.

What do you think? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I agree. I added it to my signature shortly after I joined the forum. It helps other members to give more timely and accurate help.

And, when you use my typing system, H, P, & C (Hunt, Peck, and Cuss), it allows faster posting. :lol:

I 2nd that idea!

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

To make things easier, this could be added fields in the user profile. It could also be displayed upon registration of new members. Just my two cents.

I remember reading that a signature should be no more than 4 lines and preferably text to help dial-up users.

My signature on avast! forum:

E5200 2.5GHZ, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Vista Home SP1, IE7, avast! Professional

P4 2.8GHZ, 768MB RAM, 40GB HD, XP Pro SP3, IE7, Avira AntiVir Premium

P4 2.4GHZ 512MB RAM 40GB HD XP Home SP3 For Sale

IE7Pro user http://www.ie7pro.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Trouble is some folk take up nearly half a page with their specs.

Can make scrolling a thread a long job.

I feel like I might be one of those people :( I'll make some changes!

Keith

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Can make scrolling a thread a long job.

Maybe if your posting the full spec Hazel, I was only asking for Operating System with Service Pack numbers and Web Browsers used. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

And some peculiar VB advert! (Put a jokey sign here.)

I was going to add that those who never get Piriform problems have no need to post their spec, but that was too much like tempting providence, whoever she is.

• Moderators
I remember reading that a signature should be no more than 4 lines and preferably text to help dial-up users.

My signature on avast! forum:

E5200 2.5GHZ, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Vista Home SP1, IE7, avast! Professional

P4 2.8GHZ, 768MB RAM, 40GB HD, XP Pro SP3, IE7, Avira AntiVir Premium

P4 2.4GHZ 512MB RAM 40GB HD XP Home SP3 For Sale

IE7Pro user http://www.ie7pro.com

If it's text it doesn't really annoy me. What really annoys me is some forums allow members to post images in their signature that are just insanely huge and much larger than even 4 lines of text.

I saw a message board around 2000 where everyone had 800x800-sized .bmp sigs. It was atrocious. Their typical posts were usually " :lol: " or "lol". Talk about a waste of real estate and bandwidth.

I saw a message board around 2000 where everyone had 800x800-sized .bmp sigs. It was atrocious. Their typical posts were usually " :lol: " or "lol". Talk about a waste of real estate and bandwidth.
Didn't they call that AOL?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Believe I added enough information in mine.

Or is there something else that needs added.

Thats perfect Bill, I just hope new users pickup on this topic. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Thats perfect Bill, I just hope new users pickup on this topic. ;)

I hope they don't pick up your signature with 15 lines and a large graphic example.

IE7Pro user

I hope they don't pick up your signature with 15 lines and a large graphic example.

Your only jealous Kenny. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Agreed. I did my signature over and although it isn't as pretty and techno as the CPU-Z ID info, it still does the job :)

link1.gif

Agreed. I did my signature over and although it isn't as pretty and techno as the CPU-Z ID info, it still does the job :)

That's better and gets the point across.

I'm not jealous because I am in a way self-employed but retired at the same time with a great pension and plenty of time on my hands but I have to be careful that The Devil makes work for idle hands does not creep into my daily life. :D

t3114_idle.png

http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/t/th..._idle_hands.asp

IE7Pro user