YoKenny is about to enter the Age of Vista

YoKenny

Being an Aquarius I thought I would venture into a new age.

I put a down payment on a Pentium Dual Core E5200, 4GB RAM, 160GB 7200 hard drive, LG DVD-RW both SATA and Windows Vista Premium in a IN WIN V-Series V564T2 case.

Hopefully after rent, food, Internet, cable TV and phone I will have enough left over by the end of the month.

The Next Big Thing will be Tax Time at the end of April.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

sounds sweet mate. i have WVHP as well. visualize vistagratification

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

Why just a Dual core? Why not go for a Core 2 Duo?

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Those Pentium Dual Cores are stripped down Core 2's. I think.

@ YoKenny...please, seriously consider a graphics card. Even with 4 GBs of RAM, you'll be annoyed. What resolution is your monitor at? I'll recommend a decent one. If you don't play games ( I'm assuming you don't) you still want something better than the integrated graphics on the motherboard.

AJ

quad core is better..but dont take my word for it.

80999699qp6.jpg
From my prespective, winvista club is a very good forum for all things windows related.
They have helped me and many others in the past. Excellent hints and advice!

BigSmile.png

What's the difference?

@ YoKenny...please, seriously consider a graphics card. Even with 4 GBs of RAM, you'll be annoyed.

What resolution is your monitor at? I'll recommend a decent one.

Why?

1152x864.

IBM ThinkVision L170P TFT will do fine but I will happily accept the decent one that you offer.

quad core is better..but dont take my word for it.
I'll take your money for it though.

Consider these items.

• It is to replace my old 500MHZ PIII

• It will take me at least 3 months to pay it off if I do not go out to a restaurant, take upcoming bus trips, forgo other entertainment and live on macaroni and cheese

• I have 2 other systems to play with

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Yeah i think a lot of hype is built into 2 core, 4 core, blah blah blah....I don't play games on the computer, all i want is websites to load quick, and applications to run right and both my duo 2 and my quad core work about the same for that so save your money.....

I keep thinking I will start gaming (most of my buddies do) but i just don't seem to find the time...............and to be honest, my old xp system, if it hadnt finally kicked the bucket would have done me well.....

you made a good choice yokenny, we all have to work within our budgets and lifestyles and, well macaroni and cheese is not a food group....:)

I think your system has all the basics and will be an awesome machine. :)

Something like this is all you would need.

<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133250" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133250

</a>

With the rebate, $50 is a good deal. And even with the resolution, you'll probably be able to push everything up, even if you don't game.

This is a desktop, correct?

Vista is not a mistake. Yes it uses more resources, but hey, you've spec'd your machine accordingly. I have Ultimate 32 bit on my laptop and it runs fine. It takes a little getting used to, but I find it more polished than XP. Overall, I'm glad I have this laptop.

AJ

The rebate is only $20.00 and I won't need faster graphics right now.

It is a tower.

I'm looking forward to learning Vista.

IE7Pro user

I enjoy it, and I get a lot of scorned glares when I mention that in my circle D:

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

. . . and, well macaroni and cheese is not a food group....:)

I think your system has all the basics and will be an awesome machine. :)

Good choice, Yokenny, I agree with 1984 except about the macaroni and cheese. M&C has saved the lives of millions and millions of graduate students. It and peanut butter deserve a place in the food groups. :lol:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Good choice, Yokenny, I agree with 1984 except about the macaroni and cheese. M&C has saved the lives of millions and millions of graduate students. It and peanut butter deserve a place in the food groups. :lol:

When I went to university M&C with beef wieners or Cream of Mushroom or Tomato soup with bread was my lunch time diet as I could go home at lunch and whip them up in no time.

Those were the days of burning midnight oil, cramming and no Taliban.

IE7Pro user

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first post with my Vista system and it sure is strange.

IE7Pro user

You disable UAC yet? Hahahahahaha. You'll get a annoyed quick.

It is annoying but I haven't disabled it yet.

I can't get my ClicKey application to stay active in IE where I like it most.

Its active in Windows.

IE7Pro user

You spoke the hallowed words... Peanut Butter:

Peanut Butter Man:

EDIT: Good luck with the 'puter Ken. Any new toy's a good toy. :)

Whatever happened to davey?

A peanut bath?

I miss my ClicKey:

http://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm

IE7Pro user

Congrats Kenny! New toys are fun. Hair-tearing frustrating fun!

And about a month ago I was installing ME in a partition. Quite the time warp, no?

0206090923.jpg

Anyway, today I crank-started a very old toy. I never had a cabinet before so I grabbed it from my nieces' storage and put in my old stereo.

Fits perfectly. I even still have my old Disc Cleaner equipment.

0225091813.jpg

0225091814.jpg

That's Olias Of Sunhillow (old Yes fans would know).

If you need any help, I got 32 bit Ultimate on my laptop. Most annoying thing outside of the UAC (and RAM usage at times)? Sometimes folders will be arranged in a totally different way then the last time you looked at them. Like, how they are sorted or what size icons they are using. Especially the Games folder. Really weird.

About davey: I thought I noticed a significant decrease in posting around here.

Whoa...looked at my friends list: Last Active: 14th January 2009 - 11:07 AM I had no idea it had been that long...I hope he's alright.

AJ

• Moderators

I can think of other selectable words other than calling Vista strange, however the forum software would censor such comments. :lol:

Sometimes folders will be arranged in a totally different way then the last time you looked at them. Like, how they are sorted or what size icons they are using. Especially the Games folder. Really weird.

XP has a bug with some folders by changing my preference of the columns shown to whatever it likes, it happens rarely but enough to annoy me. After I get a USB keyboard/mouse combo, huge hdd, and PSUbuntu for my PS3 I highly doubt I'll have any more use for Windows (which I've actually grown rather tired of) because I want the whole OS experience built with my home theater, good thing allot of the software I use and charish the most also has a Linux version available too.

Congrats Kenny! New toys are fun. Hair-tearing frustrating fun!

And about a month ago I was installing ME in a partition. Quite the time warp, no?

I still have a WinME installation CD but I won't be playing with it soon.

0225091814.jpg

That's Olias Of Sunhillow (old Yes fans would know).

Does it have a USB port?

I remembered I have a USB floppy and it came in real handy transferring stuff between systems.

I'm a Sneakernet trained expert.

I'm getting used to UAC and I guess I'll have to find out about Run As.

I documented my foray into Ubuntu a while back but it was way too strange for me.

Breaking news.

Bare Naked Ladies are braking up.

IE7Pro user