YoKenny is about to enter the Age of Vista

YoKenny

I bought that turntable around 1980 so I really doubt it has a USB port. ;)

(Wow, I'm a Power Member. :lol: )

I'm a Super Power User :P

I'm just turning your crank

You can change the information in your Profile.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I can think of other selectable words other than calling Vista strange, however the forum software would censor such comments. :lol:

XP has a bug with some folders by changing my preference of the columns shown to whatever it likes, it happens rarely but enough to annoy me. After I get a USB keyboard/mouse combo, huge hdd, and PSUbuntu for my PS3 I highly doubt I'll have any more use for Windows (which I've actually grown rather tired of) because I want the whole OS experience built with my home theater, good thing allot of the software I use and charish the most also has a Linux version available too.

Update us on how that ubuntu thing goes.

I've heard that all of those ps3 linuxes are really slow because the ps3 doesn't have very much ram for them to use.

Congrats Kenny! New toys are fun. Hair-tearing frustrating fun!

And about a month ago I was installing ME in a partition. Quite the time warp, no?

I was at my friend's place who has WinME on a real old system but it works well for her as all she uses it for is to use Spanish Hotmail to talk to her relatives in Cuba.

She makes a delicious cup of coffee but it is a bit sweet so I'm glad I don't have diabetes and I get to try my fading Spanish with her as she hardly speaks a word of English. She amazes me at how fast she talks and moves.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

In the 70s, besides my old Realistic stereo unit (that was a POS) I used to have a huge 1926 Victrola that I got for $25.
Did the Victrola have steel needles and a hand crank to power it and a wooden door to control the volume?

Take it to the Antiques Roadshow to have it appraised and I bet you could get way more than $25 for it.

IE7Pro user

I don't have it anymore. My BILs' sister has it. It weighs 300 pounds. Yes it uses steel needles. I trashed a few Beatles 45s that way. The turntable speed was fully adjustable but with no indication of what speed it was at. There were 2 needle arms...one brass one that used an old-timey megaphone cone, and another thinner cast iron one that was electric and used the built-in speakers. The radio was completely missing when I bought it. The knob to tune the radio was still in it, but again no mhz display of what frequency you were tuned into. It had thin side cabinets to hold 78s in.

Ah, here it is around 1974.

OldVic.jpg

That's part of a Jethro Tull poster in the upper left.

I may be late on congratulating you for moving to Vista, but may I ask how you are doing with your new machine? Are all things going as smooth as it was back then (XP). To be honest, I see Vista still have some parts that badly needs polishing, but I find it to be a tweaker's toy. I put my bets on Win7 to change again the way I look at Microsoft. :D

I don't have it anymore. My BILs' sister has it. It weighs 300 pounds. Yes it uses steel needles. I trashed a few Beatles 45s that way. The turntable speed was fully adjustable but with no indication of what speed it was at. There were 2 needle arms...one brass one that used an old-timey megaphone cone, and another thinner cast iron one that was electric and used the built-in speakers. The radio was completely missing when I bought it. The knob to tune the radio was still in it, but again no mhz display of what frequency you were tuned into. It had thin side cabinets to hold 78s in.

My grandmother had one when I was much younger and she had many 78s that I use to play after winding it up but I don't remember it having a radio.

I think radios were licensed back then and you could only get the BBC a few hours of the day.

That's part of a Jethro Tull poster in the upper left.
Sitting on a park bench.

@Tunerz

It is going fine and I haven't tweaked it much as I don't know what to tweak but I do have most of my favorite things running.

The latest CCleaner works just fine on it but I haven't gotten Defraggler nor Recuva yet as I have not needed them.

IE7Pro user

May be a few things here for you kenny

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/

Thanks.

So much to learn.

This old dog learned a new trick that if you hold down Windows key+Tab it displays 3D task list and you can move the mouse to the window you need.

It is a bit better than the old Alt+Tab window select but I see Switcher from one of the tips you indicate:

http://insentient.net

I'm going to watch the end of Heartbeat that I missed earlier due to an unscheduled interruption. It is the episode about the meteor that allegedly hits the ground but is actually about thieves stealing Dynamite from a local quarry for bank robbery. Those folk talk just like me dear old mum and dad.

I have IE7Pro working the way I like now.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Update us on how that ubuntu thing goes.

I've heard that all of those ps3 linuxes are really slow because the ps3 doesn't have very much ram for them to use.

It's gonna be awhile now before I get a wireless keyboard/mouse and bigger HDD for the PS3 since after getting my HDTV, so that venture may wait until next year because my first priority is to get some decent new speakers for the new HDTV.

I've also read about Linux below turtle slow on the PS3 due to the limited RAM which was gut wrenching to read, a real bummer but I trust someone on the Linux software/OS side may perhaps remedy that. Too bad Sony didn't put in 2GB of RAM with forethought of someone actually putting Linux on it because when the PS3 was in developmental phase they were showing it off by having it run Linux way back when.

I have gotten bitten by the Vista bug so now my XP Pro system looks like Vista:

http://www.lee-soft.com/products/index.html

IE7Pro user

Have you played chess yet Kenny?

I haven't got a round t2977_tuit.png

I'm not much of a games player.

IE7Pro user

I have gotten bitten by the Vista bug so now my XP Pro system looks like Vista:

http://www.lee-soft.com/products/index.html

It messed with the system so much that I had to un-install it.

IE7Pro user