Malware removal apps

Talldog9

What are some of the best malware removal programs out there right now? Also, which ones cause more problems than they fix?

a-squared Free is one of the good ones, right?

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

• 2 months later...

I use Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot S&D, Ewido MicroScanner, Super Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Spyware. I use SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster to prevent spyware infections. Also, I use Mozilla Firefox with these addons: SafeCache, SafeHistory, McAfee SiteAdvisor and KeyScrambler.

• Moderators
a-squared Free is basicly good, but it founds a lot of false positives. New version also installs Windows service called "a-squared Free Service". I don't think it's vital for using program.

a-squared Free is alright but like you say the false positives are a negative point of it. That service can be set to manual in Administrative Tools->Services and it will just automatically start when a-squared Free is started via a shortcut, and it can be stopped in Administrative Tools->Services as well once you're done scanning or updating a-squared Free.

For malware removal I'm only using SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, and Spybot - Search & Destroy, albeit they've never found anything on my system.

Don't use them then. Or maybe once a month or once every couple of months, just to be sure. There's no need to use spyware removal apps, if your system is found to be safe from them, and you don't suspect any infection.

edit typo.

• 4 weeks later...

Spybot S & D, Ad-aware SE don't likeAd-Aware 2007,Spyflush,,webroot Spysweeper,The Cleaner5free.exe & still free allso free & very good prevx,spyware Termater.not all the same time.http://www.softpedia.com/

Ad-aware SE Reference File SE1R240 21.04.2008 | Free Reference file update for Ad-aware SE (Ad-ware SE)

Trend Micro Virus Pattern File 5.231.00 all so good at http://www.softpedia.com/ it for av & spyware & free cleanup

• 3 weeks later...
CCleaner gets rid of all the junk that Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy would normally find. And it's 1000 times faster and way more efficient.

---------

CCleaner is to clean it not for Spyware but it may clean some out of temp

SAS, Dr Web Cureit, Smitfraud Remover, VundoFix.exe, RougueRemover are some of the apps I use in cleaning up other pc's.

AVZ is another tool I have recently started using after seeing it posted over at Wilders which is a standalone with heaps of features.

AVZ Translated Page

On my own machine all I do is "Delete contents of sandbox" to get rid of anything picked up while surfing and or reboot with Returnil active. ;)

Edit:

If you decide to try AVZ don't forget to go to File and select "Database Update" :)

AVZ claims it can fix rootkits? Hmmm.

----------------

I just ran AVZ (without the AVZPM or Guard) and it came up with a false positive on an AVG file as a possible rootkit. It also listed an MS Money installer from 2001 as a Trojan/Dialer. It did list an online game demo as suspicious, that's probably correct. And it listed 2 $restore files as infected but I'm not worrying about them.

I'd rather a program came up with a false positive than "everything's okey dokey!" The help section is all in Russian. Drag. But it looks like they're interested in getting as much English translation as possible.

There certainly are a lot of toys within that program.

SAS, Dr Web Cureit, Smitfraud Remover, VundoFix.exe, RougueRemover are some of the apps I use in cleaning up other pc's.

AVZ is another tool I have recently started using after seeing it posted over at Wilders which is a standalone with heaps of features.

AVZ Translated Page

On my own machine all I do is "Delete contents of sandbox" to get rid of anything picked up while surfing and or reboot with Returnil active. ;)

Edit:

If you decide to try AVZ don't forget to go to File and select "Database Update" :)

How about a poll about who is the best virus, trojan or malware producers and the countries that produce the best virus, trojan and and malware removers :blink:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

How about a poll about who is the best virus, trojan or malware producers and the countries that produce the best virus, trojan and and malware removers :blink:

Sounds like a great idea to me.

:) davey