Need a backup program

JDPower

As the MS backup program refuses to do an error free backup for me I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good, simple too use (ie like the NT backup) program just for making on demand backups (not bothered about automatic or scheduled backups).

I tried Cobian but didn't like it at all so any other suggestions?

As the MS backup program refuses to do an error free backup for me I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good, simple too use (ie like the NT backup) program just for making on demand backups (not bothered about automatic or scheduled backups).

I tried Cobian but didn't like it at all so any other suggestions?

This is what I use.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

• Moderators

You missed out on the acronis download a few weeks ago. :(

Anyway you might want to try paragons free giveaway.

Paragon Drive Copy 8 Personal SE

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/216...e-copy-personal

That one is more for cloning a hd but it might fit your needs. The acronis one is awesome though(they also offered paragon exact image which is like acronis but that one expired too. :( )

You missed out on the acronis download a few weeks ago. :(

Anyway you might want to try paragons free giveaway.

Paragon Drive Copy 8 Personal SE

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/216...e-copy-personal

That one is more for cloning a hd but it might fit your needs. The acronis one is awesome though(they also offered paragon exact image which is like acronis but that one expired too. :( )

Well I actually want a program that will backup files and stuff that I select just like the NT backup does, but as I said that won't work without error. I don't want to backup a complete hard drive image.

• Moderators

MS Backup is crap, it gave me errors or wouldn't run at all on Win98 and it's still a lump of crap on WinXP too.

For backups I use good ole WinRAR via custom made profiles to save directories and files. What's cool is the profiles can be saved as shortcuts so it's just a matter of putting them all in a WinRAR Backup Profiles folder and running the shortcuts.

Note, you can also use a single batch file to make system backups simply by copying files to another folder or disk, or USB device although doing so will require a bit of knowledge to use such a method such as: re-creating/duplicating the folder structures, etc. I'm glad I know how to use such a method as critical backups are done in under 2 minutes on my system via a batch file.

Quick example, backing up the My Documents folder for your WinXP user profile:

@ECHO OFFECHO [ MAKING MAIN DIRECTORY IF IT DOESN'T EXIST ]ECHO.MD "C:\My Backups"ECHO.ECHO.ECHO [ BACKING UP MY DOCUMENTS ]ECHO.XCOPY /I /E /V /R /Y "%UserProfile%\My Documents" "C:\My Backups\Your User Profile Name\My Documents"ECHO.ECHO.ECHO [ SETTING FILE ATTRIBUTES ]ECHO.ATTRIB -R -H -S +A /S "C:\My Backups\*.*"ECHO.ECHO.ECHO [AVG ANTI-VIRUS IS NOW VIRUS SCANNING MY BACKUPS ]ECHO."%ProgramFiles%\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgscan.exe" /SCAN /HEUR /SMART /CLEAN /TRASH /SPY /RT /ARC /EXT=*/ "C:\My Backups"ECHO.ECHO.PAUSECLSEXIT

• Moderators

We can only speak as we find. SyncToy has never given me any trouble and I have backups of all my pics, songs and setups etc with just a couple of clicks onto my external hard drive.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• A nice application with a tree-like structure; a little, easy to work, efficacious and useful backup tool; without installer (if you want you can to install with "ZipInstaller", a little and practical utility)

-
  • A quite bit more intricade, but after sometime working a quick application to synchronize your data between desktop PCs, laptops, USB drives and more; an extremely rewarding easy-to-use interface.

-

B)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried most of them but just didn't feel comfortable with them. Thanks to RRidgely for the Snapfiles link as I found a program called Abakt on there which is quite close to what I wanted - ie shows everything on pc in a tree-like structure with tickboxes for each area/folder so just a case of ticking items for backup, same as how Windows backup works. Biggest downside is the backups it creates seem very big. The backup I was trying to do with NT Backup was an estimated 5GB, with Abakt its near 15GB (though it does have a zip option) :blink:

Still looking though so any more suggestions are welcome

• 6 months later...
I found a program called Abakt on there which is quite close to what I wanted

JDPower . . .

I'm in the same boat as you were and desperately looking for an app similar to what you described. Just wondering if you're still using Abakt and how it's working for you?

JDPower . . .

I'm in the same boat as you were and desperately looking for an app similar to what you described. Just wondering if you're still using Abakt and how it's working for you?

Well its the closest I've come to finding a program that is simple works how I want it to.

I tried some of the programs in Andavari's link - Cobian, SyncBack and Rsync but I never got on with them. I've not heard of Areca before though so may give that a try at some point.

Well its the closest I've come to finding a program that is simple works how I want it to.

Note to JDPower . . .

This may or may not be of interest to you, but for what it's worth, here's another backup program. ZIP Backup is not free, but it's reasonable -- about $30.00. http://www.zipbackup.com/partners/wow/?source=wow

Actually, this is a great little backup app. I used some time ago, migrated to a new computer -- and frankly, just forgot about it. However, I think I'll go back to it. It's extremely easy to use, fast, totally customizable -- and as best I can tell, very reliable.

• Moderators
Thanks for the link. I need to regularly backup the same selected files and folders -- but quite a few or them? How do you use 7-Zip for this purpose -- or is there a simpler and more practical solution?

Personally I use a batch file that copies several files and folders from C:\ into a folder on another drive. I have the Windows copy command recreate the folders so it's a simple matter of restoring files. After all those files are copied I have 7-Zip's command line program 7z the whole folder contents and then I burn that 7z archive to a CD-RW.

Example of backing up the My Documents folder on WinXP:

@echo offecho [ Backup My Documents ]XCOPY /I /E /V /R /Y "%UserProfile%\My Documents" "D:\My Backups\Documents and Settings\Your User Profile Name\My Documents"echo.echo [ 7-Zip Create Archive ]"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" a "D:\My Backups.7z" "D:\My Backups"echo.echo [ 7-Zip Test Archive ]"%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" t "D:\My Backups.7z"

• Moderators

Free for today only:

Backup4all Lite

Backup4all Lite is an award-winning backup software for Windows, offering an intuitive interface making all features easily accessible.

It implements the basic functionalities of a backup application:

* Easy file and folder selection

* File filtering - powerful filtering engine with lots of options (filter by attribute, size, date, name and type)

* Multiple backup job configurations

* Intuitive interface - explorer-like, lets you see all files from the backup and new files that will be stored at the next backup execution

* Disk spanning - automated support for splitting your backup between many removable disks or even on the same media

* Backup open files (files in use) - uses the Volume Shadow Copy service that allows you to back up local open files from NTFS partitions in Windows XP/2003 Server/Vista

* Predefined backups (My Documents, My Pictures, Outlook Express)

* Backup statistics

* Backup summary

* Mirror backup - makes an exact copy of selected files and folders

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/backup4all-lite/

• 3 weeks later...

I can *highly* recommend Cobian Backup, which is freeware (Open Source). We use it in the 130+ schools that we support to backup the standalone admin PCs.

It always you to pick folders, individual files, etc and schedule them for backup at different days, times, etc. We have automatic backups every day at a given time, which zips up all of the files and copies them to a USB HD. A very cheap and easy to set up backup solution.

We use the final release of version 7, as it's very stable, but you might want to try 8.

Download at http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

Cheers, MSG

Haven't tried or used True Image and don't know much about it.

Followed the links below and started the download and it's over the 100meg mark.

Seagate DiscWizard is an OEM version of Acronis True Image, the popular hard-drive cloning/backup utility. However, while the latter will set you back $50, DiscWizard is available from Seagate?s support site?free of charge. The program lets you clone an entire hard drive, create a backup image, and build boot media you can use in the event your system becomes unbootable. (Note that it?s And, no, it?s not limited to working with Seagate and Maxtor hard drives.)

Article

Backup Software Review