CCleaner 6.24.11060 will not do a Custom Clean

So it's the Custom Clean that's behind the paywall now, but I can still choose to keep certain cookies when using Health Check. I mean, it's technically what I was already doing with Custom Clean. It's just a confusing way to put it. I've been using the free version for, maybe, around 2008 with no complaints to speak of. This actually took me some time to figure out before I found this support forum and realized what was happening. And even this thread wasn't especially clear I could still clean my computer the way I wanted. This thread made it kind of seem like if you wanted to clean your computer at all, you had to buy the trial version, despite what the message was indicating.

image.png.cda73a6c06a4dac0d41dc6b4cdefda09.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, testingtom said:

Hurry before the mods snitch!! :)

🤣 They're good, sensible people, I expect that parameter to be retired in the future though.

It wasn't used in 6.23 (obviously), but it's interesting that a 6.24 clean install only has 1 "(Cfg)XXXX" entry until it's run (and allowed Internet access, then there are some 40+). If it can't access the network, Registry cleaning is still one of the main menu entries, I thought they had moved it for good to the Tools section in 6.24.

It feels as if they are trying things and see what works for them (that ABTestingNames value implies as much), as if there were no clear course or direction for the program. Do they not have visibility about what's used and what's not? I don't think it takes much to see areas that could be improved 😔

Man, I had never used / examined CCleaner as often as I have the past 2 days, and only because when I went to perform a custom cleaning it wouldn't work 😂

16 minutes ago, Digital Jedi said:

I can still choose to keep certain cookies when using Health Check. I mean, it's technically what I was already doing with Custom Clean. It's just a confusing way to put it.

"Basic cleaning" isn't defined anywhere that I know of, I wonder what they mean by it, but I don't think the Health Check option serves the same purpose as custom cleaning. I mean, at least in the custom cleaning section one can deselect things that don't want to be deleted or select others that are off by default. I suppose those using 3rd party definitions for what to clean through Winapp2.ini would also need to go to custom for that to work.

However... Smart cleaning (smart = automated if cleaning would net +X GB of free space) seems to use the same rules as "Custom clean", if that still works in the free version (don't know, I don't use it), what was moved to Pro was the ability to manually start the cleaning process? The free version has that enabled by default.

Edited by JamesRM
Quote replying to another comment.

The post limit seems to be rather low here, 4 posts got me to the limit the 11th of June 😭

• Moderators
2 hours ago, testingtom said:

@Sectorgz @nuart @JamesRM 

I was able to disable the paywall by poking around in the registry.

Change this value from a 1 to a 0:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner\(Cfg)CCNU

I have no idea what CCNU means, I'm guessing the (Cfg) means config. In any case I changed that from a 1 to aa 0 and custom clean works fine. Hurry before the mods snitch!! :)

ccleaner.PNG

What? I don't know to read.  :)

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Us Mods are users like you, and don't like these changes any more than you do.
Piriform obviously already know about the registry key - it's their key.
You are the one who has posted it publicly, and in doing so made Piriform aware that users have found it. (You big snitch).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Digital Jedi said:

So it's the Custom Clean that's behind the paywall now, but I can still choose to keep certain cookies when using Health Check. I mean, it's technically what I was already doing with Custom Clean. It's just a confusing way to put it....

Hi Digital Jedi:

From the last paragraph of the CCleaner support article I’m using Health Check. Can I customize what is being cleaned? :

Health Check doesn't save your cleaning preferences:

Health Check reverts to its recommended default settings once you've finished cleaning and optimizing your computer. If you want to customize what Health Check cleans, you need to re-do this manually each time you use it using the method we mentioned above. 

I have never allowed Health Check to run on my system and I'm not about to start now.[removed by moderator sorry]  will move on and test other disk cleaners if I'm not happy with [removed by moderator].
------------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v126.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24040.4-1.1.24050.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.5.116-1.0.1252 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 *  CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010 * BleachBit Portable v4.6.0

Edited by Nergal
No alternative software, sorry.

Created an account after doing a search on the 'issue' I was facing like others. And yes, just a 'Custom Clean' user too. However, I'm more bothered as I've read from others, about the backdoor change, rather than they changed at all. I can delete my own cache, although I've been using them so long I have to look up Chrome's 😀. Currently wiping all instances of CCleaner from my computer. Sorry they implemented this change in this manner. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bjm2 said:

need a replacement for CCleaner Free - Cookie Manager

any ideas?

As this is an official CCleaner website, alternates are not to be discussed here in public.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

34 minutes ago, nukecad said:

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Us Mods are users like you, and don't like these changes any more than you do.
Piriform obviously already know about the registry key - it's their key.
You are the one who has posted it publicly, and in doing so made Piriform aware that users have found it. (You big snitch).

chill bud, obv I was joking.

• Moderators

@lmacri

Sorry i had to edit your post, I'm still following the rules, though, as nukecad said, we moderators are just as angry (if not more) as the users in this thread.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, testingtom said:

chill bud, obv I was joking.

As was he, as seen by the emots at the beginning.

That said, what you joked as snitching is better described as begging the developers not to make this change, yelling at them for no announcement and laughing at them when they momentarily put an announcement about this in the most bullpatty and tonedeaf way

31 minutes ago, laswain said:

I'm more bothered as I've read from others, about the backdoor change, rather than they changed at all. [...] Sorry they implemented this change in this manner. 

Precisely, I hope they read this thread to realize it wasn't the best way to go about it, or at least take onboard the feedback and opinions shared here. 

One of the things people appreciate is direct dialog with developers, even if what they propose is deemed unfeasible or not to be considered, the communication is appreciated. With large companies it is less likely for that to happen, sometimes support can relay messages (although from what I've read here, the one for CCleaner has trouble attending regular inquiries), other times while having a nuanced discussion with devs isn't possible, there are community liaisons and some discourse can still take place.

29 minutes ago, Nergal said:

yelling at them for no announcement and laughing at them when they momentarily put an announcement about this in the most bullpatty and tonedeaf way

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, there may be a disconnect between some people behind CCleaner and its users 😔

But! Perhaps it helps you getting grumpier! 🙃

The post limit seems to be rather low here, 4 posts got me to the limit the 11th of June 😭

40 minutes ago, Nergal said:

As was he, as seen by the emots at the beginning.

That said, what you joked as snitching is better described as begging the developers not to make this change, yelling at them for no announcement and laughing at them when they momentarily put an announcement about this in the most bullpatty and tonedeaf way

lol what are you talking about bro? I'm just trying to get my custom clean lol. bullpatty? lol wtff 🤣

• Moderators
1 hour ago, testingtom said:

lol what are you talking about bro? I'm just trying to get my custom clean lol. bullpatty? lol wtff 🤣

I'm telling you that moderation is arguing on behalf of not paywalling custom clean.  Yes, bullpatty is not my first choice in words, but this is a family friendly forum and I'm mature enough to censor myself.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JamesRM said:

But! Perhaps it helps you getting grumpier!

🤣

5 hours ago, Nergal said:

As this is an official CCleaner website, alternates are not to be discussed here in public.

4 hours ago, Nergal said:

@lmacri

Sorry i had to edit your post, I'm still following the rules, though, as nukecad said, we moderators are just as angry (if not more) as the users in this thread.

Hi Nergal:

No worries. Thank you for the clarification.
------------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v126.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24040.4-1.1.24050.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.5.116-1.0.1252 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 *  CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

• Moderators
22 hours ago, APMichael said:

@hazelnut@nukecad

I completely agree with you.

The new owners of CCleaner will probably only harm themselves with this action and perhaps even "kill" the product.

@all

I can also only recommend blocking CCleaner's access to the Internet and/or using the previous version 6.23.

If your “Custom Clean” is already blocked, try the following changes in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner
(Cfg)CCNU = 0
(Cfg)UpgradeButtonAppearance = 0

Something was eventually going to happen with a buyout, didn't really happen when Avast bought/merged with them other than some no-no features I'd never dare use like that Driver Updater. But with yet another buyout and them being under the same umbrella as Norton/Symantec it was only so long before you know what would hit the fan.

I guess a 20 year run publicly (was probably around a while before then) with the last perhaps 7 years of it becoming more of a mess was all CCleaner could muster. The decisions of the new owners will likely back-fire with already established free version users, and potentially damage the product over several years if not sooner.

I've been using a by now several years older version which I can easily make my own Winapp2.ini entries for without their involvement whatsoever, and it has been completely blocked from Internet access via Windows Firewall for years at this point.

I'll watch how things progress, and if it gets even worse then their whole domain could easily end up getting permanently blocked (perma-banned) from my system ever accessing it again. That's the outcome I was thinking would happen initially years ago when Avast bought/merged with them, and why I archived backup copies of older versions.

• Moderators

It's been obvious for a while that their 'target market' has changed.

They are aiming squarely at the market of non-savvy computer users now, rather than those who do know their way around a computer.
Those who use Social Media and online shoping, but don't know much else about their computer.
Hence the Driver Updater and such snake oil.
It's not that surprising, it's a much bigger 'computer dummies' market now than it used to be
Microsoft, Google, etc., etc. are all doing the same and targeting less technically minded users.

What is really annoying me is the continuing silence from the company.
Employees, even senior management, have been visiting this forum frequently in the days since this all came to public attention. (the first report was almost a fortnight ago now),
But none of them is saying anything, not even to us moderators.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

They are aiming squarely at the market of non-savvy computer users now, rather than those who do know their way around a computer.
Those who use Social Media and online shoping, but don't know much else about their computer.
Hence the Driver Updater and such snake oil.
It's not that surprising, it's a much bigger 'computer dummies' market now than it used to be
Microsoft, Google, etc., etc. are all doing the same and targeting less technically minded users.

What is really annoying me is the continuing silence from the company.
Employees, even senior management, have been visiting this forum frequently in the days since this all came to public attention. (the first report was almost a fortnight ago now),
But none of them is saying anything, not even to us moderators.

Personally I really think it boils down to "Greed". As Michael Douglas said in the movie "Wall Street" said, "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." This pertains to most business decisions, profits and "bottom line" as they are the driving force. If people are "non-savvy computer users" then "lets make them pay" can be a philosophy they are taking.

I think the point that is missed with the "CCleaner Decision Makers" is:

1. The "Free" user is not looking to pay, which should be obvious.

2. Now you have made your followers and users feel less important by not considering how this will affect them (No communication, not even now). As the saying goes, "Bad communication is BETTER than no communication"

3. The negative impact this action will make, in the long run, as it pertains to "Company Reputation", "Bottom Line", future customers of your products.

These are my opinions ONLY but time will tell.

• Moderators

I don't think the company will take any notice whatsoever of comments against the 'pay for custom clean' option.

As far as they are concerned the decision has been made. They feel no need to comment to users (or perhaps just to say we need the cash)

As far as they  are concerned 'Business and Finance' comes first.

It'll be difficult to moderate and help users with a paying product I will not be using because of the way it has been delivered to users (the underhand way) I dread to think of what they will slip into people's machines next via hidden updates etc.

It could have all been so different. 

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I just wanted to report this problem as well. But i was not the only one who has this problem. Perhaps I am going to switch to a different program. I don't know yet. I think the developers want to get rid of all those "freeloaders" who don't pay a dime / a penny. I think CCleaner just lost one user of their program.

The change in the company name should have been a red flag for users for what was to come.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

20 hours ago, bjm2 said:

need a replacement for CCleaner Free - Cookie Manager  any ideas?

Hi bjm2:

What is your default browser, and do you have any critical cookies that you need to keep after your browser is closed?

Firefox is my default browser and I use MS Edge on occasion, and I haven't allowed CCleaner to manage my cookie cleaning in either browser since a bug in CCleaner v5.69 wiped the custom settings of NoScript and several other Firefox extensions - see circcc's 01-Jul-2020 Problem with Firefox 79.  User circcc gave Piriform / Avast ample warning that CCleaner's cookie cleaning would damage browser extensions when Firefox v79 was released but their warnings were ignored and Piriform / Avast released CCleaner v5.69 without fixing the problem.  Piriform / Avast does not thoroughly beta-test upcoming releases of CCleaner and I feel it's just a matter of time before a similar bug is introduced in CCleaner's cookie cleaning.

I now use the built-in settings in Firefox and MS Edge to automatically delete my Internet cache and cookies when these browsers are closed (see the Kaspersky blog entry How to clear your cache and cookies in multiple browsers), and most popular browsers also have a setting where you can create an exception (exclusion) to keep critical cookies when your browser clears your cookies.
------------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4412 * Firefox v126.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24040.4-1.1.24050.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.5.116-1.0.1252 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 *  CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

38 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Hi bjm2:

What is your default browser, and do you have any critical cookies that you need to keep after your browser is closed?

CCleaner retains my persistent cookies (Chrome/Edge/Firefox).
I'm used to CCleaner and have not found replacement cookie manager.  
I'm not not discussing "other" tools.  Just sharing my CCleaner use.