"Microsoft needs a change in management"

Willy2

• Moderators

Thing is the next person could end up doing no better. We've seen it before where some large corporation thinks they'll solve all their problems getting rid of the CEO and then hire someone who could do even worse. I would think Microsoft's biggest issue is all the portable devices being used that don't use their OS, technology, etc., but according to the news the PC market is in a downslide because of portable devices.

• Moderators

idk I'm having to buy a new pc and the surface pro is on the shortlist, though http://www.kupaworld.com/products.php x15 look good too…sorry topic divergence some but not really (remember when the Microsoft Surface was a giant wall or table…I still want one of those…ahhhh insomnia)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I agree with Hazelnut that even Microsoft won't "rule the computerworld" for ever. But when this guy is correct then MS could have prepared itself better for the (ever)changing world of computers. It clearly seems that MS (and Steve Ballmer) became too complacent.

Microsoft can go the same route as Kodak. They invented the digital camera but the consumers weren't ready (yet) and they missed out on this development.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

The sad part is; Microsoft have all the pieces needed to actually dominate the consumer electronics market.

- The PC and XBOX control the gaming and home entertainment market.

- Windows rules the enterprise and have a strong foothold on the consumer market.

- Windows Phone is a very capable mobile operating system.

If they can come up with a way of combining these together, they will be able to regain their former glory. Metro is the answer, but the execution of Windows 8 is nightmarishly horrific.

I should be able to run Windows on a desktop, with all of my apps (with metro styling like MetroTwit or MetroTextual) shown in fullscreen glory. It should work like the Windows 7 desktop and even have some sort of "start menu" that doesn't require me to switch between two different interfaces. Mac's Launchpad is almost perfect for this little 'vision'

I should then be able to fire up my tablet, with the same version of Windows. I should be able to use all the same apps, except they are scaled for the tablet screen and; like Android/iOS, be forced to run in full screen. When I'm on my phone, I should be able to run the exact same operating system, only the 'desktop' is further scaled. I should be able to run exactly the same apps, only smaller.

Windows, on various resolutions and devices, should take inspiration from responsive web design. Interface elements should scale appropriately depending on screen size. If an app isn't optimized for a specific screen size, it should be hidden from the Microsoft Store on that device. Ideally, all developers will mark their apps as 'functional on all screen sizes.'

Downside? Developers will literally need to build multiple variations of their interface into the one app. That will lead to more development time and effort. But on the upside, a developer will literally be able to write once; run anywhere.

As a developer, I would jump at the ability to create an app that will run on desktops, laptops, tablets, phones and television (via XBOX). As a consumer, being able to run the same software on all my devices (and having it sync seamlessly) would be a dream come true.

I'm Shane.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I think windows 8 is a mess. I downgraded my desktop back to windows 7.

I gave away my trusty old laptop a few months back(gift to someone who needed it) and have been looking for something to replace it with for a while. I tried a few chromebooks but while they are good they aren't full featured enough(yet). I went into bestbuy two days ago and saw the surface rt. All that really interested me about it was that it had MS Office. I played with it probably for an hour and decided it just wasn't for me.(slow, no useful applications except office, keyboard cover was useless)

Instead I bought a 32gig ipad and an apple blue tooth keyboard(and its FANTASTIC). To be honest I don't think there is much I cant do on this that I could with a laptop.

Office is rumored to be coming to ipad soon anyway. :)

• Moderators

I guess a lot of it has to do with what you use a pc for. what the mobile revolution will do is drive the pc to take Microsoft's cue with the surface and make it better. Microsoft still wins and goes back to what they do best, XBoxes... I mean Operating Systems

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

I can do most of my daily pc stuff on my ipad(with a keyboard). I would never not have a full on computer but I'm done with windows if it doesn't change after windows 8. I really tried to like Windows 8 but I just can't. The interface is just bad and its even worse on a machine without a touch screen. I was watching a video from the tech site The Verge yesterday and the editor of that site said it perfectly:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/7/3964510/the-vergecast-february-7

Start listening about 48 minutes in. Hes absolutely right the surface pro and windows 8 are cool ideas but terrible execution. Tablets are tablets and laptops should stay laptops.

My cousin has been using her iPad for about one year now, so much she told me unplugged her PC and doesn't miss it.

I, too, know many people that are Tablet/Smartphone only folks. They keep a desktop or laptop at home, but it has become a central hub for media storage and a management "station" for their mobile devices. A repository. Eventually I'll go that way too as my work continues to transition into conceptual oriented tasks.

All I have to think to myself are those times when I was asked to manhandle a $2500 Compaq Presario Pentium-90 into trying to be everything to everybody. Bug-free in the process too. Uggghhh.. We've come a long way baby! Or maybe not?

http://www.theverge....cast-february-7

Start listening about 48 minutes in. Hes absolutely right the surface pro and windows 8 are cool ideas but terrible execution. Tablets are tablets and laptops should stay laptops.

Well I didn't listen in yet. But I think the industry needs to stop trying to converge sizes and styles of devices as much as it does. It still hasn't gotten TV and the Internet to work together. Why would it have success at combining a laptop/desktop and a tablet.

The internet and streaming on demand is replacing broadcast television. And tablets are replacing laptops. So stop trying to make convergence devices. They really do suck. Just look at Dell's attempts to mix phones & laptops & tablets. http://www.theverge....onsumer-devices

And since everybody used to equate Dell with PC's, and since PC's are dying, so is Dell. This also goes to show you can't have something that looks cool, or not, but that it must function correctly and sensibly.

It is also important to note that Windows' reputation, whatever that may mean, is built around the PC. And we all know PC's need endless babysitting and tricks and hacks to make work right. The new generation doesn't have room in their life for that. And rightfully so!

This article on Dell reads like a pictorial history of why I never early adopt anything tech anymore. You never know what's going to become popular and mainstream. And only mainstream products that have been out in the field for several years are assured of continued development and debugging. Especially debugging! What with the early release of everything in attempt to beat out every Tom, d***, and Harry wannabe.

One more further thing.. Note that Apple designs their own hardware and software. And as devices become more complex and capable this philosophy is becoming more important than ever! It's either design your own hardware & software together, or spend extraordinary amounts of cash integrating and testing the products - much like the aerospace industry does.

There's hundreds upon hundreds of sub-contractors that build a space-a-ship or aeroplane. But look at the cost of testing. Which far outweighs fabrication and materials procurement. The consumer tech industry is trying to do the exact same thing, minus the testing. And it never works.

And since the consumer industry doesn't debug the stuff sufficiently, you do! Witness all the patches and updates and still-not-right systems out there.

Ughh... I hate this frakking industry and the marketing nonsense that goes with it!

@Keatah: And that's why RIMM's QNX Operating System is such a good idea. It's an attempt to start from scratch. The problem is that RIMM should come up this years ago. Now, I fear, it could be/is D.O.A. Pity, because QNX was/is - IMO - a sound idea.

• Moderators

This article on Dell reads like a pictorial history of why I never early adopt anything tech anymore. You never know what's going to become popular and mainstream.

The thing is so much is released to the public to only become yesterdays news in 6 months to 1 year, or slightly longer, they never let one thing catch on long enough for the masses to enjoy it getting proper improvements. Some of the stuff has such a short existence and relevance that it should've just remained some concept of what could be at for instance the CES show.

• Moderators

That's exactly why early adopting anything new is foolish and potential money waster.

but lollipops soooooooooooo much fun :-P

Edited by Nergal
autocorrect error of funny proportions

. . . Instead I bought a 32gig ipad and an apple blue tooth keyboard(and its FANTASTIC). . .

>gasp< :o I felt a disturbance in the force. :P

. . . look at the cost of testing . . . far outweighs fabrication and materials procurement.

. . . And since the consumer industry doesn't debug the stuff sufficiently, you do! . . .

The thing is, microsoft has gotten this free for years, with those error reports.

Microsoft shows a pattern of OS releases: Release a pretty good OS, then a pig, then a pretty good OS, then a pig, etc.

I don't suggest that this is intentional, and there are exceptions, but it is a pattern.

They have gotten away with it for several reasons, I think.

- At first they were the only game in town, then for a while they were still the best game.

- Not Too Tekkie Mortals (NTTMs) like me thought that glitches were just a normal part of using a computer.

- We NTTMs thought that a new OS meant new and better functionality (Some were no doubt influenced by the cool factor) but nowadays it is apparent that it does not.

- It really hadn't dawned on us that we were tuning up every OS for them, only to have them release a new and equally buggy one a few years later.

Apple and the smart phone revolution have changed all that. Not to mention Linux. Microsoft isn't the only game in town, maybe not even the best game, any more. If they can figure out what folks want and make it, they'll sell it. If they try to tell folks what they should want, they will lose, these days. Just plain market forces at work, no startling revelation, that.

But microsoft seems to be circling the wagons, instead of sending out scouts and statesmen.

End Rant. :-)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Bill Gates is not happy with the innovation at Microsoft. Change in management at MS coming ?

http://techbeat.com/...n-at-microsoft/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57569944-75/bill-gates-not-satisfied-with-microsofts-innovations/

• Moderators

I don't know much about Balmer except he looks like a crazy person every time hes on stage at one of the tech announcements.

http://imgur.com/r/w...eoplegifs/cnjTa (Chasing a cake)

If even for just public perception he needs to go. They already threw out the guy responsible for Windows 8(Sinofsky) so at least they may fix windows. :( If Windows 8 SP1 doesn't fix Windows 8 I believe you will see a lot of people move to tablets/macs faster than they already are.

Balmer appears to be developing senility ahead of time. :( He's gonna have to step down if BG wants to realize a turn-around. And sometimes, it's not always about innovation. But setting a standard. And standards are important in tech.

It is also important to keep BG bashing in mind. Everyone likes to rag on the big guy, calling them control freaks and imposing draconian practices, monopolizing. IMHO that speaks more of the basher than the bash-ee.

• Moderators

If Windows 8 SP1 doesn't fix Windows 8 I believe you will see a lot of people move to tablets/macs faster than they already are.

Well according to some articles on Softpedia.com News Windows 9 is coming. Now if they don't go back to a more standardized Windows UI they'll alienate many more people who loathe Windows 8.

Windows 9 = Windows Blue ???

For the time being I'll keep Windows 7. Seems I was lucky to buy a laptop at the right time (i.e. not with Vista or Win 8 installed).

I agree. MS needs to watch its step VERY carefully. They simply can't afford any to make (too many) mistakes any more. Too much competition and MS has been too complacent in recent years.

I don't know.. It's not only MS having problems with usability. Apple's iTunes, a front-line premiere application for media playback and portable device sync, is getting a lot of hate for the latest version. And from the looks of it its a headache-inducing application. A rare thing for Apple. But it's enough to make me consider the Android ecosphere for my next purchase.

Apple's project management really dropped the ball and broke a lot of little things. Their tech support forms have threads with over 1,000 replies - all focused around usability issues with iTunes. I bet Mr. Jobs is shaking his head right about now.

It seems in the rush to do something, anything, people are banging into walls and showing their stupid side. MS and APPLE alike. Companies need to be taught that change for change's sake isn't a good thing.

Microsoft and apple have "flung themselfs upon their horses and rode madly off in all directions".

:P

Maybe google is making them crazy.

Imho its an effort to corner the market using money & muscle, instead of product improvement.

Don't think that will work.

Maybe there is hope for Blackberry's little QNX system after all.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.