What browser do you use?

rridgely

What browser do you use?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. What browser do you use?

Is that it at top right?

th_maxthon_piri1_prntscrn.jpg

Yep, sure is. I selected "whole region" and got a .png of all the pages in this topic. Offers to save as png, jpg or bmp.

Selected "region" and got part of the window.

Also checked out Night Mode, at upper right.

th_maxthon-5_nightmode.jpg

Who knew? :P

edit: Seems to run heavy, this is with 2 tabs open:

th_maxthon-6_resources.jpg

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

You stated that I probably could not even name any websites that did not work properly in IE9, & that is just entirely untrue. See below...

Actually, that was me ;)

If you actually bothered to check; both of those websites contain major markup errors that throw IE9 into "quirks mode," which is designed to render incorrectly. Fix the bugs in the code and the sites work perfectly.

I haven't tried Maxthon in a long time.

Last time I tried Maxthon it crashed quite epically. Will give it another shot in a VM later on,

I'm Shane.

Okay; still not a Maxthon fan.

The interface is really childish looking, with all the Web 2.0 icons and other blingy nonsense.

As for performance; I opened 12 tabs which caused RAM usage to peak to about 800MiB. The UI became really sluggish and unresponsive; with full second gaps between my clicking of the mouse and the UI actually responding to that click. Chrome and Firefox handled the same 12 tabs without skipping a beat.

(FWIW; the VM had 4.0 gig of RAM)

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

I believe the main quoted advantage of it, is that it is claimed it is more highly optimized to modern processors, yielding up to 25% faster browsing speed. I am not 100% sure if it does outperform it's cousins like that, but I may test out of curiosity later on.

For me it doesn't have stalling like Firefox had annoyed me with for the past 1 to 2 years, or the dreaded can't do anything in a forum post for several seconds to minutes which made me dislike Firefox. Pale Moon does on rare occassions ignore a URL click but nowhere near as much as Firefox did.

• Moderators

Have crossed Maxthon off my list :)

I've tried it a number of times over the past three years, but always ran right back to Firefox (now Pale Moon). I prefer a more standardized looking GUI over it too.

Okay; still not a Maxthon fan.

The interface is really childish looking, with all the Web 2.0 icons and other blingy nonsense.

As for performance; I opened 12 tabs which caused RAM usage to peak to about 800MiB. The UI became really sluggish and unresponsive; with full second gaps between my clicking of the mouse and the UI actually responding to that click. Chrome and Firefox handled the same 12 tabs without skipping a beat.

(FWIW; the VM had 4.0 gig of RAM)

Soon after I posted that last, everything about the browser froze, Sandboxie & Maxthon, couldn't have had more than 2 or 3 tabs open. Froze the screen also. Stopped Maxthon with task manager, restarted, all OK.

Win xp here, 3.3 gb RAM.

Also at one point, I shut off Maxthon but maxthon.exe kept running. Can't remember the exact circumstances.

So, maybe not for me either.

But I do like the way it looks, while acknowledging its "blingyness" (great word, WebAtom :P ).

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

Using Opera 12 here and I am a bit cheesed off with the new opera_plugin_wrapper they have added. When watching a Youtube video my cpu climbs sky high and causes issues (you can watch it climb in Windows Task Manager while running the video).

Lots of very unhappy users here

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1446372

May drop back a version til they get it sorted.

Yet another case of a browser adding a feature without really testing it enough first.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I dropped Opera 12 also, and again because of an issue with video.

I had the huge white button appearing over every type of video which should only appear if you have the "Enable Plugins On Demand" option checked in "Tools\Preferences\Advanced\Content".

Couldn't get rid of it at all, and this is what it looks like if you've never seen it.

It even covered the forum flash uploader button ...

.. which I thought was cute compared to it's ginormous mate.

Is there a browser left that does NOT encrypt cookies? I have ie8 on here, running in Sandboxie. I haven't patched it for a long time, and I can see the plain text names of the cookies. Also can see every gif, html, jpeg & js in the temporary internet files.

In the patched ie8 all those things have scrambled names. Some sort of security matter caused the change, I understand, but I still want to be able to see them. Can't find much about it with google.

Thanks Shane. Read it. Good, clear explanation of what was done.

Actually, that was me ;)

If you actually bothered to check; both of those websites contain major markup errors that throw IE9 into "quirks mode," which is designed to render incorrectly. Fix the bugs in the code and the sites work perfectly.

I have been gone for a week or so. Thanks for the correction! I did get your display image confused with the other guy. Sorry!

Yes, some of the things you are saying are right. IE8 is not say, a terrible browser. It is just slow, cannot be fully uninstalled & uninstalled, requires a reboot (2 of them) to update because it has to have IE9 prerequisite first, then IE9. Although I have successfully automated the process, it is still a pain compared to other browsers.

_____

You are correct that the code in the website could be perhaps fixed, but alas, doing so locally would do nothing to improve the website itself. And if you could cache the corrected page & load it & link to the original, still a lot of work for little gains. Additionally, if IE9 is already 2X slower than the latest FF14 release, what is IE8? I know IE8 is slow on my machine. I'm not saying unusably slow. Well, it is to me, because I have to wait for the tabs, then it crashes on more than what I am used to using.

Kind of a mixed bag with IE. IE9 is faster, more stable, but renders facebook & other websites less correctly than 8, despite being the first IE to have 100% on acid 3 tests. Prior, it pooped on them. Slow, or faster & prettier, but it still has things about it I detest. Ever tried resetting IE after a major malware infection on a computer with tax programs that someone can't afford to lose? Some tax programs require certain versions of SQL Server & other things to run properly. And if the database is password protected, makes it trickier still!

_____

I do love the simplicity, speed, ease of Firefox, & the fact that it rarely crashes & doesn't have to have active-X turned off. And has a great ad blocker, weather app, etc.

I suppose I was a little harsh in condemning IE earlier, but it is too much headache for me. I like some aspects of it, but with the current problems it still suffers from, I just can't afford to use it. Alexa? Do you like that phoning home in IE? I don't, :( Hahaha! U can also turn that off, but....

_____

Anyway, use it if you like it, but I can't. I do love the improvements in speed of IE9 vs 8, which is like upgrading from a moped to a harley if you take into account how slow prior versions were while rendering javascript code to load webpages. I love the simplistic look of IE9 much better than 8, for sure. But like I stated above, still too many wowsers bugs for me to consider worthy of a primary browser. Additionally, upgrading from IE9 to more modern browsers that are 2x faster or more makes upgrading from IE9 seem like upgrading from a harley to a crotch rocket with turbo.

Perhaps one of the bigger things I hate IE for that I nearly forgot to mention above, is it is much harder to backup all your web browser settings. Favorites are easy. Saved passwords, etc., are much harder. Firefox/Chrome/Opera can save their profile folder & restore it. I don't know a way around this in IE. Not saying it cannot be done, just that it isn't as easy as other browsers... 1 by 1 export of fav, then passwords, then settings just doesn't cut it. I'd use fav browser backup, but it doesn't (or didn't) restore IE settings last time I used it.

That said, enjoy whatever browser you intend to use, & thank you for your constructive criticism. :)

* Edit: IE8 does have a great viewable cache, where you can dig stored movies out from surfing the web. IE9/FF/& other browsers seem to have this both divided into pieces that are re-constructed on view in your browser, & perhaps encrypted. As well as certain browsers seeming to clear the stored movies on exit automatically. I assume, for security reasons, DCMA, etc, etc. At any rate, if your not going to use nirsoft's video cache viewer to save them, IE8 remains easiest to grab from cache. Other browsers error out on copying (file in use) etc. As you know, I love to experiment just to see what is possible.

That is about the only thing I find better about IE than other browsers, & that only works with IE8 & below.

The other only thing I like though, is IE also allows larger expansion of smaller pics with CTRL + than some other browsers. Cool.

As i said; i use Chrome. My point was how not that IE9 is better than any other browser; but rather that it's poor performance is only a reflection of how it runs on your specific hardware. On my computer; for instance, Firefox is much slower than ie, opera and even safari. That doesn't then justify me coming on here and making long winded, repititive and rantish posts about how bad i think it is.

Apologies for spelling/grammar. Typing this on a phone while walking.

I'm Shane.

On my computer; for instance, Firefox is much slower than ie, opera and even safari.

Before beginning, please backup your Mozilla profile, if you need to restore it later. Location: -> Start/Run/%AppData% & copy Mozilla to desktop.

While I am not sitting in front of your PC, here are some things to try to speed it up (if you'd like). Usually does have a cause.

-> Remove Firefox & profile folder entirely & install newest version. Consecutive updates from older versions can cause problems, or profile issues.

-> Run Windows Update checker & see if it suggests a newer video card driver. Firefox drops hardware acceleration on older versions sometimes.

-> Remove & install latest flash player for non IE browsers. Older versions are slower without full hardware acceleration.

-> Navigate to Firefox/Options/Network & ensure your not connecting through "proxy". This is common, & causes slowdowns. Select No Proxy. It's faster!

-> Ad-Block + will block a lot of ads & speed up browsing.

* Start/Run/%AppData% & enter, then Mozilla folder to see your profile folder. Firefox/Help/Troubleshooting Information/Direct 2D enabled = true, if acceleration is enabled. Else, it is false. To backup only your bookmarks + saved passwords so you can import to new firefox profile, use MozBackup. Fav browser may work, but I know MozBackup does. Last time I tested Fav Browser, it had trouble restoring IE settings.

Try the 5 listed solutions above & see if it fixes it. And not having a lot of add-ons helps!

• Moderators

On my computer; for instance, Firefox is much slower than ie, opera and even safari.

If you use Adblock Plus and have "too many" subscriptions or some unneeded subscriptions that alone can cause Firefox (and Firefox clones) to have a horrible launch time, and can cause pages to load slow too.

• Moderators

Anyone use the 64bit version of IE9 as their regular browser? I know when it came out it pretty much got overlooked because adobe hadn't put out version of flash and java for it. I just noticed on filehippo that their are now official versions available for it.