What browser do you use?

rridgely

What browser do you use?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. What browser do you use?

• Moderators

Yesterday I played around again with the newest SRWare Iron Portable and wow it's blinding fast compared to Firefox (and Firefox clones), especially on sites like YouTube, etc.

If only Chromium-based browsers allowed for more tinkering deep in the depths of the settings like Firefox allows. For instance being able to completely disable Favicons. I do know about the Chrome addon to disable Favicons but it doesn't work which is a sentiment abound on the web from other users who tried it.

• Moderators

For me it was always the add-ons I used that kept me chained to Firefox, however every add-on I use is also now available in Chromium-based browsers. Although Firefox's insane memory usage and page loading speed may end up causing me to switch but not to SRWare Iron as it had way too many processes running in the background.

For me it was always the add-ons I used that kept me chained to Firefox, however every add-on I use is also now available in Chromium-based browsers. Although Firefox's insane memory usage and page loading speed may end up causing me to switch but not to SRWare Iron as it had way too many processes running in the background.

Chrome seems to (or did!) load faster when I checked a few years back on low powered laptops or computers.

I do wonder, what are the specs of your machine? Even on my lowly netbook, Firefox 14 loads a second or two faster than Chrome... & uses less RAM.

• Moderators

You may want to try this for when the memory usage gets a bit too high for you:

https://addons.mozil...rtless-restart/

I use Datum Firemin (freeware, and portable) to curb Firefox's consumption of memory, can literally have Firefox running all day simply by using Firemin.

I do wonder, what are the specs of your machine?

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.20 Ghz

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS with 512 MB RAM

RAM: 1.0 GB

I'm enjoying the Opera browser at the moment, even better than SRWare Iron for the fact I can really dig deep into the settings. I'm glad I kept my Opera profile from last year, all I had to do was change a few things and within 5 minutes it was fully ready.

Ah.. coming from a world of 12GB of Ram, Firefox's usage never bugs me, but in a realm of 1gb, I imagine it can get nasty.

That's a lot of RAM. I only have 4 gb and I don't even get close to using all of it when I have multiple different programs open at the same time. What do you do with 12 gigs of RAM (besides crazy video editing if you do that)?

TBH I have 16GB... having said that, I use a RAMDisk, so 4GB is taken up by default, the rest is used when I have a guest OS loaded alongside other RAM heavy tasks.

Love using a RAMDisk, means my cache is kept on a virtual drive, instead of cutting into my solid state.

• Moderators

I've seen allot of people give Comodo Dragon good reviews on download sites for being a safe browser.

I'm giving it a try at the moment, and it's pretty slick.

I can't comment on the various attributes listed by Richard in post #109 above, but the one oddity I've noticed right from the first launch is that it has 6 dragon.exe's running, although to be honest that doesn't mean it's sucking up resources too much.

Just it's way of running in some form of modular fashion I would guess without delving deeper into it. I haven't ran Chrome so I dunno if they have a similar way of doing things.

TBH I have 16GB... having said that, I use a RAMDisk, so 4GB is taken up by default, the rest is used when I have a guest OS loaded alongside other RAM heavy tasks.

Love using a RAMDisk, means my cache is kept on a virtual drive, instead of cutting into my solid state.

Tell me more please.

I have recently started using SSD and was tempted to use a RAMDisk for the same purpose,

but had so much else to learn about the "care and feeding" of an SSD that I chose to defer selection and use of RAMDisk to a later time.

Hence I am still using reparse points (which I have used for some years) to redirect my browser profiles to a HDD,

but I am still interested in learning.

I suggest starting a separate topic in this "Software" forum.

N.B.

Yesterday Hard Disk Sentinel observed :-

84 MB Written, 316 MB Read from SSD

950 MB Written, 212 MB read from HDD

It is absolutely criminal the amount of unused and never read junk that my browser writes to cache.

(I use Palemoon which is based in the same software as Firefox)

Alan

• Moderators

the one oddity I've noticed right from the first launch is that it has 6 dragon.exe's running

Chrome based browsers do that. When I tried SRWare Iron Portable it had a massive amount of exe's running. Of course that's all suppose to be crash protection I think but I'm not very familiar with what Chrome does in that regard, whereas in Firefox and Opera 12+ they use plugin containers. People still complain about browsers crashing though. :rolleyes:

• Moderators

I gave it a try under the virtual protection of Returnil, but I think I may give it a run for real, and it does give you the option of a portable install.

Also interesting is the option to run using their own "Secure DNS" servers to enhance safety and browsing speed. You can opt out of this during the install.

And on a piddly, totally unimportant aesthetic note, the dark top bar with richly coloured (when used or moused-over) close/minimize buttons looks rather nice.

• Moderators

A new version of Comodo Dragon is shown on FileHippo.com today.

Also interesting is the option to run using their own "Secure DNS" servers to enhance safety and browsing speed.

You have two options on how you want to use their Secure DNS, either just for Comodo Dragon or for everything. When I tried Dragon I just had it install for the browser only since I had the thought of "what if their server is down, I'd have no Internet."

• Moderators

A new version of Comodo Dragon is shown on FileHippo.com today.

You have two options on how you want to use their Secure DNS, either just for Comodo Dragon or for everything. When I tried Dragon I just had it install for the browser only since I had the thought of "what if their server is down, I'd have no Internet."

That's the option I took as I didn't fancy having to reset everything if I didn't like Comodo. And of course your point which didn't cross my mind at the time.

Trying out Seamonkey ver 2.11 for windows. Had only tried it in some Linux distros.

Runs pretty good on windows xp.

Found out just now that it plays one of my favorite oldies radio stations after installing silverlight. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

So you like the Monkey? :P I used to use that back in the day when it was called Netscape Navigator, and I did like how it had multiple profiles which could thwart when uninstalling some software that would then try to annoying load the homepage with a "sorry why are you leaving us" useless rubbish page.

Sure do. Limited experience with it so far, but it seems to run pretty light. Haven't tried the profiles yet. Still exploring. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.