Deleting Content.IE5 Is EXTREMELY Slow

mysta02

I run CCleaner, on average, between 2 and 4 times a week. Each time, it takes forever for it to delete the files in Content.IE5. Depending on how much browsing I've done, it can can over 45 minutes, just for the files in that one folder!

I just finished a scan today: 75 minutes total.

Why do the files in this particular folder take so long to delete?? Though there are fewer files, my Recycle Bin generally has a lot more information for CCleaner to delete, but it takes mere seconds to complete that task.

What version of Internet Explorer do you use?

How long does it take if you clear the browser cache from within Internet Explorer (or Control Panel's Internet Options)?

P.S. what is your CCleaner version?

• 3 weeks later...

What version of Internet Explorer do you use?

How long does it take if you clear the browser cache from within Internet Explorer (or Control Panel's Internet Options)?

P.S. what is your CCleaner version?

Sorry it took so long to reply. I moved and my internet hasn't been working until now.

I'm using IE8, and CCleaner 2.32.1165

And, it takes maybe 2 minutes or less to delete all my cache files, history, etc, from within Internet Explorer.

Hi mysta02, welcome to the forum.

You are obviously very patient. I commend you for that. I could not possibly wait that long for CC to finish a run.

I use both Firefox and IE8 and clean with CC version 2.32. It takes an average 7 seconds to finish !!

Maybe mine is so fast because I run CC more than once daily.

I'm thinking right now you need to reinstall CC to see if you can get a faster run. If that doesn't work try a clean reinstall (completely uninstalling CC followed by a new install).

Revo is a good free uninstaller.

Maybe even get a new CC download from.

Haha. Ya, I can be patient, but it drives me nuts. Today's cleanup took just over 100 minutes. I update the program regularly, so I shouldn't have to reinstall it. But, who knows?

I like CCleaner, because it does all my cleaning, and only the cleaning I want (I keep a lot of cookies).

I suggest a simple test :-

Use I.E. to clean the cache etc. You said that only takes 2 minutes.

Immediately after that run CCleaner,

Does it still take 100 minutes even when there is nothing left to be cleaned ?

What is the operating system ?

Alan

Unchecking History does very little. It's the cache/temporary internet fils that take forever.

Yes, cleaning with IE first brought it down to 7000 files or so in my Temp Files section. Then CCleaner took about a minute. Ran it again, with no Temp Files, and it took 2 seconds.

It's the temporary files that take forever.

I'm running XP SP3.

• Moderators

The "content.IE5" folders have popped up on a few occasions, and it has in the past been the index.dat file in these folders which has caused problems.

Do a search of your C: drive for "Content.IE5" (no quotes), and see how many of these folders pop up. I got two different locations earlier, and one of them I could delete manually, but the other of course was in use.

I would try going into "Safe Mode", and then try deleting any you found in the search manually. You may find a corrupt index.dat file in one of them, causing the slowdown.

Or try using "Unlocker", which will try to delete in-use files on reboot.

Do you have different users on your PC with separate accounts, and if so, do you have admin rights when you run CCleaner?

EDIT: In case you don't know, how to get into Safe Mode is in my signature.

Strangely, I can't find my Content.IE5 folder. I set all my folders to show hidden files, enabled viewing of system files, and checked the pathway by analyzing in CCleaner. There is no folder named Temporary Internet Files under C://Documents and Setting/Cody/Local Settings even though CCleaner says that's where it is.

Any ideas there??

And, I only have the one user on my computer.

• Moderators

I only have one location now with that folder, and it's here:

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Have a look there, although it's strange you can't find it where CCleaner says it is, even with "Show Hidden Files and Folders" activated.

• Moderators

That's very outdated info since Windows now stores the TIF content in each unique user profile.:P

In order to see the Content.IE5 folder you have to enable the view of 'Hidden Files and Folders', and unhide 'Protected Operating System Files'

Edit:

Decreasing the amount Internet Explorer can store in TIF may be the solution, since when it gets full it takes too long to clear out.

That's very outdated info since Windows now stores the TIF content in each unique user profile.:P

Oh, I didn't know. Haven't used XP and Internet Explorer in eons. :unsure:

Simplicity is hard.

The options for hidden and system files are as they should be, and I still can't find the folder. Also, I have no "LocalService" folder in Documents and settings. I have All Users, Cody, Default User, and Intel (no idea why that's there...). I've checked all those folders for it, and it's not in any of them.

• Moderators

Just out of interest Mysta02 what does it say if you right-click on the ''my computer'' icon, choose properties, then the advanced tab, and press the Environment Variables tab at the bottom?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It gives me three User Variables: MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH , TEMP , and TMP

It also gives a bunch of System Variables: CLASSPATH , ComSpec , FP_NO_HOST_CHECK , NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS , OS , Path , PATHEXT , PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE , PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER , PROCESSOR_LEVEL , PROCESSOR_REVISION , QTJAVA , TEMP , TMP , and windir

And, it gives values for each of them. What are they for??

I suggest you commence a reply to this, then :-

run CMD.EXE and issue the command

SET

That will display all system and user variables.

Right click in the centre of the display

Choose Select All - which results in white background

Hit the "Enter" key, which copies the display contents into your paste buffer, and restores black background.

Now return to the browser and continue your reply by holding down the Ctrl key as you strike the letter V

That will copy your information, all the names and also all the values for each.

Alan

• Moderators

Also open IE8 do tools- Internet options-general page.

Where it says browsing history press the settings button.

What location for temp files does it say?

If you click view files can you see anything?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com