Problem reported with the latest Windows Update and Sandboxie

cc1

I think some frequent posters here use Sandboxie (as I do). I just noticed this thread over on their forum.

It looks like this could be primarily an XP problem. For the time being, I'll be delaying installing this Windows Update.

I did that last Win update and that one disabled sandboxie, so I had to use system restore and now it is ok.

I`m beginning to think that those security updates do more harm than anything good . :angry:

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Looks like tzuk already has an update to SBIE (scroll down to see his post and links) that appears to have fixed the problem, although at least one poster over there is still having trouble with error messages. I'm not too adventurous so I think I'll hold off a bit longer to see if the dust is really settling before attempting any updates.

Thanks for posting this cc1 as there are a lot of xp sandboxie users here (including myself)

You're welcome, hazelnut.

Taking a look this morning at Sandboxie's forum, it looks like there has been lots of discussion regarding inconsistent effectiveness of the upgrade to version 3.45.07.

I'm wondering what you and others here that are users of XP sandboxie plan to do regarding yesterday's Windows Update. Install all but KB979683? Avoid installing any for now?

Me, too, Fluffy. Is working now. I uninstalled the old ver. first, might not have been necessary, but did.

Also, the folder structure for the sandbox seems to be pretty much the same. Thats important to me 'cause I use a batch file to delete it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

This issue with sandboxie and WIN update brings me to the question I`m asking myself very often and I`m sharing this one with you:

Why would a person that always uses sandboxie or other VM + a good AV +a good AS need WIN security updates ?

This issue with sandboxie and WIN update brings me to the question I`m asking myself very often and I`m sharing this one with you:

Why would a person that always uses sandboxie or other VM + a good AV +a good AS need WIN security updates ?

I suppose I install Windows Updates out of an abundance of caution. Perhaps naively, I assume they won't do any harm and will only add strength (albeit minor?) to my anti-malware strategy. But I prefer to wait a bit before installing WU's, so Automatic Updates is turned off on my system.

I suppose I install Windows Updates out of an abundance of caution. Perhaps naively, I assume they won't do any harm and will only add strength (albeit minor?) to my anti-malware strategy. But I prefer to wait a bit before installing WU's, so Automatic Updates is turned off on my system.

Somehow the :" if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sounds adequate here. I personaly use a VM+ AV + 2 AS + FW,and this looks to me like a very reasonable security formula with a very high chance of crap avoidance and I`m trying to fix it , fix it with what? nothing is full proof ....even not WIN updates ....you see what I mean? it is endless.

The major security issues with XP are pretty much solved for the most part. Even critical security updates are more or less minor nowadays. Most of the vulnerabilities only have a chance of affecting few users as many people would not use a feature or function that is affected anyway. Even if you do the chances are still very slim because someone would need to target you for a vulnerability to be exploited anyway in most cases. Combined with common sense, malware prevention techniques and firewalls you'll BSOD before you become infected due to an unpatched system.

However if you're running something like SP1 let alone RTM with 30 unused system ports open and exposed you are asking for it.

Closing unused services, ports and such does a very great deal of hardening.

You will certainly want to apply every available update after XP's extended support cycle ends just for completeness stability and security however.

I for one can't wait for the support cycle to end. Several Services will never have to be run again (Auto. Updates, Cryptographic Services etc.) and no more updating. 2014 here I come.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

I for one can't wait for the support cycle to end. Several Services will never have to be run again (Auto. Updates, Cryptographic Services etc.) and no more updating. 2014 here I come.

Are you seriously saying you'll continue to use XP after 2014 ? :blink:

Piriform French translator

My Sandboxie is working..since the update..but I have just noticed when I open my browser sandboxed It gives me two opended at the same time(both homepage) in the task bar ! anyone else had that ! if i open the browser unsandboxed it just opens the once...

Anyone else had this?

It's interesting the lengths some of you go to to prevent what you think are security threats. On my XP computer I run Windows Firewall and am using a wireless router with a hardware firewall. I use Avira Antivir running real time. I have Superantispyware and Malwarebytes installed for on demand scans but no real time protection running. I use a variety of browsers. Never get infections of any kind. I have Sandboxie installed and set up but just don't bother to use it. Never had a need. The people I see getting malware are the ones that go begging for it. You really have to try to get infected. It's not as common or as easy as it's made out to be. If doing all this tweaking with security apps is because your bored or something why not learn a new OS and put the effort into that. Windows 7 is much more secure than XP. Mac and Linux are even more secure. Learning them has a bigger pay off than spinning your wheels and trying to maintain an obsolete OS like XP.

• Moderators
The people I see getting malware are the ones that go begging for it. You really have to try to get infected. It's not as common or as easy as it's made out to be

I don't think I would agree with that really. Some exploits are specially crafted.

Your comments give the impression that only stupid users get infected. Also you seem to have very little tolerance of other people's decisions on how they use their own computer.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It's interesting the lengths some of you go to to prevent what you think are security threats. On my XP computer I run Windows Firewall and am using a wireless router with a hardware firewall. I use Avira Antivir running real time. I have Superantispyware and Malwarebytes installed for on demand scans but no real time protection running. I use a variety of browsers. Never get infections of any kind. I have Sandboxie installed and set up but just don't bother to use it. Never had a need. The people I see getting malware are the ones that go begging for it. You really have to try to get infected. It's not as common or as easy as it's made out to be. If doing all this tweaking with security apps is because your bored or something why not learn a new OS and put the effort into that. Windows 7 is much more secure than XP. Mac and Linux are even more secure. Learning them has a bigger pay off than spinning your wheels and trying to maintain an obsolete OS like XP.

While it's healthy to consider and debate alternate viewpoints regarding computer security, I hope this ^^^ post doesn't cause this thread to go off-message. The purpose of this thread is to discuss problems associated with last Tuesday's Windows Update and Sandboxie.

Fluffy, responding to your post, I still haven't upgraded Sandboxie on my system to the 3.45.07 version. Nor have I downloaded and installed the WU's from Tuesday. (I'm thinking of holding off until SBIE 3.46 is available.) But, I have been following the various related threads on Sandboxie's forum and I haven't seen any problems related to the duplicate taskbar entries that you reported.

• Moderators

Fluffy as regards your 2 browsers windows see Tzuks post in this thread for a fix, I'm using that 7a build myself to cure this. Just install over the top of 3.45.07. It stopped the issue straight away with no side effects for me.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7743

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hazelnut..Thankyou for finding that link..I had been looking on the forum, like you cc1, see if there was a related post but you found it... Sherlock Hazelnut !!

I`ve done the download and it has stopped the duplication of browser window ;)

thanks for the help

thought for the day..one day windows 7 will be XP.....