Defraggler still showing 17% fragmented, why?

chip44

Hi,

According to Defraggler, my C:\ is 17% fragmented, and no matter how many times I defrag it still says 17%. Can someone please explain this?

(The file list shows some files which lead me to believe they did not get defragged, maybe because they are in use, but if so, how am I able to defrag these files such as pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys, and the ones within System Volume Information?)

Also, why does Windows defrag say C:\ is 0% fragmented, whereas Defraggler says 17%?

I think that Defaggler can't touch in some "system" files that it founds fragmented and it tells it to you, by showing "17%".

Windows can't touch in some fragmented "system" files and it doesn't tells you, by showing "0%".

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

You must use either PageDefrag (free) on XP, or other commercial defragmenters which have a boot-time defrag, like PerfectDisk.

All paid defragmenters have free trials, and since pagefile and hiberfile are only created once, you won't need to buy them.

The System Volume Information ones are System Restore Points. Simply add them to Defraggler's Exclude list (you'll need to enable view of system files in Windows Explorer).

Piriform French translator

I have the same issue with Defraggler, only mine is a wee bit different. I was at 27% fragmentation, ran Defraggler(which I have tested on 13 various machines to date with a range of results) and when the program ended(overnight) it was 32% fragmented. This particular machine runs Win7 Home Premium, has its pagefile on a secondary hdd, and I shutdown all nonessential background processes and programs(including ESET Smart Security) before defragging. I have had this particular system down to 5% within the past month with no major changes to any of the system files since, no viruses or malware of any sort. Any sensible insight here would be interesting.

Add C:\System Volume Information\ to Defraggler's Exclude list, and see what happens.

You could also delete all system restore points, but it's not a good idea.

Piriform French translator

Add C:\System Volume Information\ to Defraggler's Exclude list, and see what happens.

You could also delete all system restore points, but it's not a good idea.

Thanks, will add the SysVol tonight and let you know the results tomorrow... :P

You must use either PageDefrag (free) on XP, or other commercial defragmenters which have a boot-time defrag, like PerfectDisk.

All paid defragmenters have free trials, and since pagefile and hiberfile are only created once, you won't need to buy them.

The System Volume Information ones are System Restore Points. Simply add them to Defraggler's Exclude list (you'll need to enable view of system files in Windows Explorer).

Aethec is right, if you see any fragmentation left over, it's most likely because it's in reserved system space. There are many good utilities for defragging these places, but I personally leave them be if it's on a machine I use all the time. For example, I use my desktop for gaming only, and I do things like that all the time so I have it at the highest possible FPS. But on my laptop, which I use for work and the occasional arcade game, I don't mess with system files because breaking that system would be horrible. So choose wisely before deciding on what to do. Also, I agree that Defraggler should have a boot-time defrag tool.

All posts that have a beginning must have an end, Mr. Anderson.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I go about doing this? I'm sorry if my question has been asked before; but I'm new here and I'm having a similar problem.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop that I purchased last year. My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium. I downloaded and installed the latest version of Defraggler because my Windows defrag tool didn't seem to be working very well.

I went into Defraggler's Options menu and clicked on the Exclude tab. In which text box do I enter C:\System Volume Information\?

I'm not able to type that into the Exclude list; apparently you have to browse files and/or folders. Where is "System Volume Information" located? When I browse OS:C I'm not finding it... Do you know the exact file/folder location for Vista? I tried doing a search for it in my start menu, but no luck...

I'm not able to type that into the Exclude list; apparently you have to browse files and/or folders. Where is "System Volume Information" located? When I browse OS:C I'm not finding it... Do you know the exact file/folder location for Vista? I tried doing a search for it in my start menu, but no luck...

System Volume Information is a operating system protected folder, you need to disable the option operating system protected folders in the folder settings. Sorry, I don't know the exactly name of the place you enable it in English.

It would be better if in the next version we can type the location because leaving the option I told you disabled is not what I can call "safe".

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

new at this.. so here is my tidbit.

vista and above have a a switch option to defrag. in a command window or start, run dialog, type defrag c: -b. it is suppose to defrag your boot files. I believe it was never fully in XP even though it does run. I have created a short cut

on my desktop with the command line of %windir%\system32\defrag.exe c: -b. Not much info on XP, but if your

on Vista or 7, you get some detail info. give it a few minutes to run.

Also a simple page defrag program. Google sysinternals. they are utilities most you probably dont want, they are built by microsoft. but by this blog there is 1 called PageDefrag that will do what you are asking.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb842062.aspx

http://live.sysinternals.com/

I have the same issue. I have not used any paid defrag software. I have 20% left on my drive no matter what I do. The other defrag software finishes it with 0%. It makes the software look bad when it can't defrag the whole drive or tell you the reason for this. Shouldn't it have boot time defrag if can not defrag the system files?

I have the same issue. I have not used any paid defrag software. I have 20% left on my drive no matter what I do. The other defrag software finishes it with 0%. It makes the software look bad . . .

That other program is not counting all the stuff Defraggler counts. It's cheating. :)

• 9 years later...
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, pharlap said:

Recover lost space.after defragging. See Pharlap

It's wonderful that you solved your problem - using ccleaner no less - however, there's no need to post in a nearly decade old thread with a disjointed cryptic message for using a method not in ccleaner at the time of the thread.  Please do not continue with such behaviour. thank you. :)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Excuse me I gave a solution I found that worked for me that is relevant to today. I do not need lesson on English from you. What is your problem? I thought I may have helped anyone with this problem. I simply said "in Ccleaner go to tools and start Drive Wiper".  As regards to your rudeness , I shall  be uninstalling this website thank you

On 30.3.2010 at 19:11, luik said:

It would be awesome if Piriform adds "boot-time defrag" to Defraggler features... :rolleyes:

defraggler has this feature

--> defraggler -> settings -> boot time defrag

choose

1.) disabled

2.) run once

3.) run every time

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"