Ok, so if this works it'll be a miracle!

slowday444

Yes, I sometimes encounter near-total lockup situations when debugging very large apps with Visual Studio. It can take hours for the Task Manager to pop up, and another hour or so to terminate the VS process.

I will give it a try...

I finally had an opportunity to try this. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much on Windows XP Home.

Apparently tskill.exe does not support the /f parameter (forcefully terminate) so it is not particularly effective.

I finally had an opportunity to try this. Unfortunately, it doesn't do much on Windows XP Home.

Apparently tskill.exe does not support the /f parameter (forcefully terminate) so it is not particularly effective.

So right you are! I just hit the quick start icon I made just to see if it would even close the browser but all it did was momentarily flash the cmd prompt. Then I did use Super F4 and it shut it right down. I haven't actually had a "locked" event since I installed it so I can't say how it will work during a real issue.

That's disappointing Glen that it doesn't support the /f switch when xp pro does.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

What about if you use pskill from MS/Sysinternals which I found does the job on my XP Home in my batch files where tskill wouldn't work:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896683.aspx

Or even easier there's a link to download taskkill here:

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine...ls.htm#TaskKill

(Have scanned it and comes up clean and seems to work as it should)

I looked at the documentation for pskill but it doesn't seem to support the /fi (filter) parameter.

I found a couple of other sites (just Google "download taskkill.exe") that offer free copies of taskkill.exe but I'm not familiar with them and don't know if they're legitimate. Is computerperformance a safe site?

I found a couple of other sites (just Google "download taskkill.exe") that offer free copies of taskkill.exe but I'm not familiar with them and don't know if they're legitimate. Is computerperformance a safe site?

As far as I'm aware it is and as I said I scanned the download with everything I had and uploaded to VirusTotal and was completely clean.

Sometimes things are locked up so tight Task Manager doesn't open and Process Lasso and Tamer have never helped. I'm skeptical, but we'll see!

http://www.freewaregenius.com/2009/07/27/s...ram-via-hotkey/

Hey! that would be nice. My system also suffers when I process some high end memory programs. I hope nevertheless that it works and that there are no backdoor installs. Thanks :rolleyes: