BitTorrent

LuLu

Probably a very stupid question, but does anyone here use BitTorrent? As far as privacy goes, how safe is it? Anything I should know before attempting to use it? Help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators

Bittorrent is one of the most easily tracked P2P protocols. You can hit "peers" or something similar and see everyones IP address who is using it.

Does this mean your going to get busted if you use it? Maybe.

I only use it to get linux distros to try out. Its way faster than their crappy bandwidth.

The only downside to bittorent is that sometimes their are a lot of downloaders and few seeders(people with the file sending it to everyone else)

BitTorrent uses a "peer to peer" network, which means that every user is responsible for its security.

1- If you are entering the torrents world, you better have a good antivirus (like Avast).

2- Read the comment's, some people post comments if the files are bad or good.

3- Use the logic, don't download weird stuff or files that look suspicious.

4- After you download, scan stuff. You can upload to Jotti which is pretty useful.

5- What? There's no 5. :lol:

Remember that hackers like to mess with people, so be careful.

I do use BitTorrent for downloading HQ animes, for linux distros, and game installers (if they use torrent). BitTorrent protocol can be easily tracked, no wonder some ISPs can throttle the torrent bandwidth if they see their subscriber/s using the BitTorrent protocol. Your IP is shown in the peers you are downloading to, or uploading to. Like rridgely said, BitTorrent relies on the ratio of seeders vs peers.

Hey thanks for the responses.

Another question I have is since IPs can be seen/tracked, can something like Peer Guardian and ipfilter.dat help with security issues?

• Moderators

Some people are able to hide their IP's on there and you'll only see this: . (yes a period, or dot).

You do have to be careful what you download though and malware scan everything! If you're in particular looking for songs (who isn't) I'd recommend checking the artist website since some aren't greedy toads and will give you many free MP3's, and also check the record label websites as most give away free MP3's.

Oh I scan everything I download...even if it comes from a trusted site. lol I'm paranoid I guess, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm not really looking to download music (though now that you mention it I might if I actually give this a go...lol), I'm just on a search for some videos for a friend of mine (and for myself). Will ipfilter.dat hide my IP address or do I need to install something else to do that? Obviously I don't know much about these sorts of things and want to cover all my bases before diving in.

For a bittorrent client, use Utorrent. Its easy to use and you can install the ipfilter.dat. Don't go to the piratesbay or sites like that....notorious for infected files.private trackers are best but you have to keep your ratios up.

if you are looking for rarer or odd files, emule is way better. files stay on the network for years and you can find hard to find stuff.

peerguardian (or protowall) are simply programs that import block lists (lists of blocked addresses). some recommend them, i find them useless as they simply block out a large percentage of net addresses, many of which are good clients. and those that want to see what you are downloading can simply change addresses anyways. if you are worried about security, use a proxy. set up a static ip address, forward your ports to it.

and check the laws in your country. in the US they have the DMCA which is a draconian copyright law. here in Canada, it is perfectly legal to download music so there are no need for programs like peerguardian and such. and always scan your files before unpacking, etc.

:)

Patching your maximum amount of half-open connections may help your speeds. (XP)

TCPIP.SYS patcher (XP)

If you use ?Torrent be sure to set protocol encryption to Enabled in the preferences. Only use Forced if you seem to be getting throttled.

And forward the port you set in the preferences. Very important.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

Great info guys, thanks!

How do I set up a static IP and then forward ports to it? Again, I'm illiterate with this stuff so I do apologize for dumb questions. :unsure:

Also, what is the difference between Bit Torrent and UTorrent?

Oh ok. So they kinda work together then?

Gotcha. See, I told you guys I didn't know anything about this stuff. I really miss the days of free Napster and AudioGalaxy. :(

Sounds like it'd be easier just to learn an instrument, form a band, record some music and copy that, than to go through the whole rigmarole of learning peer to peer.

It would be if I was using it for music, but since I'm not that won't really work.

Besides, dipping my toes into this will prove to be a learning experience, and I'm all about learning things. So yeah, I think I'll be giving this a go thanks to everyone who's been offering help and tips.

This is the premier site for forwarding your ports. It will show you how to do it by router and software:

http://forum.portforward.com/

Heres another one:

http://www.simpleportforwarding.com/node/1

And if you need router default passwords these sites are good:

http://www.routerpasswords.com/

http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

If you need your ip:

http://www.ipchicken.com/

For a proxy (privacy) go here:

http://www.vtunnel.com/

And something else helpful:

http://www.your-freedom.net/

• 4 years later...

IP Filter and Blocklist updates available at TBG Blocklists

To see when the Lists were last updated and for the filesize of each List, take a look in the Lists folder

Available IP Filters for use in µTorrent/Azureus/eMule:
    ipfilter.dat.gz
    safepeer.zip

Available Blocklists (PeerBlock/PeerGuardian2/Protowall):
    PrimaryThreats.zip
    GeneralCorporateRanges.zip
    BusinessISPs.zip
    SearchEngines.zip
    Educational-Institutions.zip
    Bogon.zip
    Hijacked.zip

The times are changing where resurrection  of old posts is an option :D

What BitTorrent client are you guys using and why ?

Currently using uTorrent 2.2.1 (build 25302)

Small footprint, no ads or any funny toolbars.

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

Oddly enough, I am using none. LOL I played around with it for a while and then got rid of everything. Always felt like someone was watching me. :ph34r:

• Moderators

I've only ever torrented once and it was legal. For an entire CD length download on a decent enough connection (2Mbps or so) it took over 24 hours, after that I said nuts to the whole idea of torrents.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com