What's the Latest on AVG?

tommyk

The "old" AVG is still working on my system, even though they keep saying the "new" version is coming out or was suppose to replace the prior version.

Any news on what's up with it?

The latest is now August 31,2008. It was Dec 31,2008 now they changed it. This is the official post from the forum. http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?1,136697,backpage=,sv=

These guys are just a bunch of clowns. They changed this date several times now and than contradict it with their adware/scareware pop up BS in the actual program. They are obviously idiots. I have dumped AVG on a couple machines and will be switching over my others soon and won't be returning to AVG again. They can go die with Microsoft as far as I'm concerned.

They changed this date several times now and than contradict it with their adware/scareware pop up BS in the actual program. They are obviously idiots. I have dumped AVG on a couple machines and will be switching over my others soon and won't be returning to AVG again. They can go die with Microsoft as far as I'm concerned.

I find myself agreeing with your sentiment. I've used AVG Free for years and its bad enough the new version is crap and there were nag screens to update to it for months (even though 7.5 was still supported) but the tone of the latest nag screens trying to pretty much scare users into updating are just about enough for me to dump AVG7.5 right now and never go back to them. Really not the sort of behaviour I would have previously associated with AVG but unfortunately they seem to be trying really hard to hammer the last few nails in their own coffin.

I installed avast! Free after I saw my first pop up for the new and improved AVG 8.0 but first I un-installed 7.5 that served me well for many years. :o

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm liking Avira AntiVir. No complaints. I have not experienced any of the update issues some have. I have it set to auto update at 6.00 PM Eastern Standard Time maybe that has something to do with it.

Yeah. I dumped AVG 7.5 and installed Avira. Its awesome, but it gets annoying when it tells me to upgrade everytime I update. But I can live with that.

I had enough of AVG's tactics. They had a huge amount of angry users on their support forums and they just closed and removed those topics. Now they again make use of scare tactics with that new nag screen. How can they be so stupid? :angry:

So, I've changed to avast (with a nice free skin) and 'till now am very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

did anybody have any problems getting updates today .... it for the first time seems to be taking a while to connect and displays a strange message saying " Attempt to establish connection no 1" and then "..... No 2

and times out ... could it be the new router I've just installed and some firewall setting ?? dunno ....

Got my spybot updates without any hassle, super antivirus worked great and rogue remover updater worked fine too......

I did the same as fredvries and ditched AVG and went with avast!

I had to take my old PIII system in to have it upgraded and XP installed and when it came back it had AVG 8.0 on it.

The system was so slow so I ripped AVG out and installed avast! and the performance is now acceptable.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I did the same as fredvries and ditched AVG and went with avast!

I had to take my old PIII system in to have it upgraded and XP installed and when it came back it had AVG 8.0 on it.

The system was so slow so I ripped AVG out and installed avast! and the performance is now acceptable.

Would be even better with Avira. Avira is much lighter on resources than Avast and with a better interface, better detection rates, and faster scans.

• Moderators
did anybody have any problems getting updates today .... it for the first time seems to be taking a while to connect and displays a strange message saying " Attempt to establish connection no 1" and then "..... No 2

and times out ... could it be the new router I've just installed and some firewall setting ?? dunno ....

Could be. I downloaded an update fine as usual this morning.

I would agree on what has been said about Avira. I switched to it a week ago. Have been running Spyware Terminator with ClamWin AV integrated. Worked very well. Didn't even want to let ME do anything. So I dumped it.