CCleaner not deleting Chrome JS files nor Edge JS files

Haapy

pear_big_w.png

Je (Piriform Support)

Dec 14, 2021, 6:21 EST

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your email.

I understand your concern regarding in this issue and let me assist you. I tried to look for similar cases like yours, however, it doesn't show any related similar case. We had checked as well whether this can be created in our end unfortunately, issue did not appear.

Our team would like to thank you in reporting this issue.

As of now, may I ask if you have any other concern or questions?

Looking forward in your response.

Kind regards,

Je | CCleaner Support - Manila, Philippines

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Hi Haapy, it's possible this is something we can clean. Our first step will be to investigate if it's definitely safe to remove these files.

piriform_pear_ZD.PNG

Laurence (Piriform Support)

Dec 21, 2021, 5:11 EST

Hi Andy,

I have been asked to look into your support request, sorry you are having problems with CCleaner cleaning your Chrome data.

Thank you for highlighting this to us we have found the issue and it will be fixed in the next update to CCleaner.

If you’re having any trouble with this, or if you need anything else, please feel free to email me back.

Kind regards,

Laurence | CCleaner Support - London, UK

• 4 weeks later...

This is all about JS files, NOT cookies, the cookies were just in the screen shot. I believe if you look into where I have indicated the JS files are in my screen shot you will find hundreds of JS files.  I delete them regularly and find no performance hit or any other problems.

Check this https://www.zdnet.com/article/these-hidden-cache-files-are-bloating-your-google-chrome/ the same is true for Edge Chromium

If you Google chrome delete cache js files, you will find more articles.

I suggest that you give this an option in CCleaner under Chrome and Edge to allow the user to remove this JS bloat.

Thank you.

Andy

• Admin
21 hours ago, Haapy said:

This is all about JS files

The dev team added a ticket to review this scenario for cleaning back in December after you first raised it. Naturally, new chunks of stuff to clean from browsers is always of interest.

On 15/12/2021 at 15:29, Haapy said:

It is safe.

Probably for most scenarios, but the QA team will be wanting to check for unintended consequences across a range of configurations for users running web-based apps before releasing. Given the size of CCleaner's user base, even corner cases adversely impacting < 2% of the user base are things that we endeavour to avoid.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Thank you Dave. I totally understand the need for complete testing. 

I have it in my Options Include along with the \Network\Cookies and all is good on this end.

That Options\Include is a wonderful option.

Andy 

• Moderators

In Edge if you open Settings ...Privacy Search and Services.. and where is says' Clear Browser Data' click underneath it on  'Choose what to clear'

In the pop up window that opens and make sure 'Cached images and files'  is turned on.

This will clear code cache on Edge  each time you close it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

@AndavariI do not know what the Winapp2.ini additions are. I am trying to use the vanilla CCleaner. I use the Options, Include for any junk files that CCleaner does not take care of.  Just to be clear, for Chrome and Edge, CCleaner IS cleaning \Cache\Cache_Data, but it is NOT cleaning \Code Cache\Js NOR \Cache\Wasm.

@hazelnut  I am looking for CCleaner to my cleaning in one operation. In Chrome and Edge I have cookies that I want to keep, therefore I do NOT want to delete all cookies on Edge or Chrome close.

I am using Chrome Version 97.0.4692.71 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• 1 month later...

@Andavari, Dave CCleaner, Andrei CCleaner, Stephen CCleaner

Is anybody at CCleaner doing anything about the JS files with Edge and Chrome?

Please ignore the reference below to \Network\Cookies.

image.png.3197f2189a06cfb66c42c81997d087d9.png

Thanks.

Andy

• 6 months later...

As far as I can see this problem has never been resolved.

I get hundreds of JS files daily and am on the latest release.

I would appreciate it if this would be re-opened.

I will provide more data if needed. Thanks.

• Moderators

Like I had mentioned before it's already been in winapp2.ini community file and it's still in there as I just looked at it. This is exactly what and where it will clean (which in your case would delete those 'Code Cache' files):

[Edge Code Cache *]
LangSecRef=3006
DetectFile=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge*
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge*\User Data\*\Code Cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge*\User Data\*\Storage\ext\*\def\Code Cache|*.*|RECURSE

Edit:
If you go the route of using winapp2.ini you'll find that there's allot more than just Code Cache to clean in Edge Chromium, I'm regularly watching CCleaner clear a ton of stuff from it and I don't even use that browser.

The winapp2.ini community file topic:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/32310-winapp2ini-additions/

I think we have a misunderstanding.

I understand that you are advising me to get a 3rd party tool correct? If so read on.

Why should I use a 3rd party tool when CCcleaner should be doing that or have an option checkbox?

I am already using "CCleaner Options, Include" to remove these JS files, a lot simpler than using a 3rd party tool.

I am asking CCleaner to update their product.

Thank you.

• Moderators

Winapp2 isn't a third party program.  It is a template of other cleaning routines made by ccleaner users.  Entries from winapp2 often are added later to ccleaner's default rules.

There's a link to an explanation in my signature

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Haapy said:

I think we have a misunderstanding.

I understand that you are advising me to get a 3rd party tool correct? If so read on.

Why should I use a 3rd party tool when CCcleaner should be doing that or have an option checkbox?

I am already using "CCleaner Options, Include" to remove these JS files, a lot simpler than using a 3rd party tool.

I am asking CCleaner to update their product.

Thank you.

I didn't misunderstand you, I had just re-read the whole topic before posting again because I didn't even remember posting in it before.

I just thought after re-reading the topic that it's coming up on a year of you asking for it to be cleaned by CCleaner and perhaps the community made cleaners for Edge Chromium offered via the winapp2.ini file would be accepted this time around, and if not that's fine it's just an alternative to what you've already implemented by creating an "Options > Include" which achieves the exact same results of getting rid of those files.