CCleaner not deleting Chrome cookies [Fixed in CC5.89]

Haapy

1 hour ago, Jeff M said:

What I am seeing is that CCleaner is showing an entry for Google Chrome - Cookies in the listing of what needs cleaning after cleaning cookies. The entry shows 0K with one file listed as follows:

Cookie: 037ab814be3b3c658ae0c578045fbbda.safeframe.googlesyndication.com

"safeframe.googlesyndication.com" cookies have been an issue for years. you can do a google-search for "safeframe.googlesyndication.com cookies" to pull up information about the issue.

i don't know how to tell you to resolve the issue except to give my advice to set your browsers to block third-party cookies, to use the "ublock origin" adblocker browser-extension, or the "adblock plus" adblocker browser-extension, instead. also, you could add "tpc.googlesyndication.com" to your hosts file, to block content from there, if you use a hosts file to block some content. supposedly "tpc.googlesyndication.com" is the source of the "safeframe.googlesyndication.com" cookies.

it has been said that the "safeframe.googlesyndication.com" cookies aren't actually cookies but that they serve as placeholders for ads, similar to iframes.

again, you can use google-search to pull up more information to read regarding the issue with "safeframe.googlesyndication.com" cookies. like i said, i don't really know what to tell you about how to resolve the issue. that is, to get rid of the "safeframe.googlesyndication.com" cookies. some people have said that they had to delete some files to get rid of them.

here is a related thread:

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59324-ccleaner-not-deleting-all-cookies/

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to CCleaner not deleting Chrome cookies [Fixed in CC5.89]

Still not working properly.

Go to the following URL: chrome://settings/content/all?search=cookies and you will see all sorts of cookies.

There's a new feature in Chrome where you can sort cookies by:

Data Stored

Most visited

Name

Screenshot 2022-01-25 151424.jpg

• Admin

@TaKeN: I just tried this myself (running on the same versions).  Running Custom Clean (for the detailed reporting) it found the cookies....

image.png

Deleted the cookies ...

image.png

... rescan and no more Edge cookies:

image.png

Just checking did you already have Edge closed before cleaning?  If not, did it prompt you to close Edge and you did so?  When you ran the scan did it find cache files, etc and just no cookies?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

Hello,

What version of Edge do You use?

From version 97 if i good remember there is "fast boot" so there is a edge process all the time.

After boot Windows there is a edge process and when i close all edge still there is... 

Look i just close edge and edge process move from "Running" to background:

image.thumb.png.a9cdc6046fd8acaa43cb9f20139633b1.png

When i run edge background process vanish and move to running:

image.thumb.png.873a8457d3fbd20130cd4e7a7abd75ea.png

image.thumb.png.923f7996e2f77e53e5ddc773067660cc.png

So edge process is always now in background... when i try kill process he run again.

Best Regards

TaKeN

Edited by TaKeN

Just an FYI. If you do a fresh new clean install of Chrome, you will no longer have access to all your cookies. It's also random if any updates will remove your cookies  that have been stored in Chrome. I am not referring to Chrome (quasi) cookie list.

In other words, our reliance on CCleaner to view and clean Chrome cookies has never been greater. Damn Google!

I haven't tried installing a very old version of Chrome (2 or more years old) and then upgrading to see what happens with the cookie option. 

• 2 weeks later...

Edge Startup boost is off.
Edge is up to date and not running. I waited 5-10 minutes after closing it to be sure and even checked Task Manager and there is nothing Edge related showing.
CCleaner is up to date and as you can see, everything but "Metrics Temp Files" is being skipped.
I've tried multiple times just to be sure and every time this is what happens.

Is this still an issue or has it popped up again?

Untitled.png

• Moderators

@rj79

Skipping like that indicates that something Edge related is still running, even though you have closed the Edge browser itself.

Turning off 'Startup Boost' stops Edge from pre-loading, but if you have had Edge open then things can still be running in the background after you close it again.

To stop Microsoft Edge from running in the background after it's been closed there is another switch, it's just underneath the one for Startup Boost:

1. Open Microsoft Edge.
  2. Click the Settings and more (three-dotted) button from the top-right.
  3. Select the Settings option.
  4. Click on System & Performance.
  5. Turn off "Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed".

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for the replies, I realized after I posted, this seems to be about Chrome but since I saw people talking about Edge too I just posted that here.

I had to reset my pc today and when I ran CCleaner it cleaned Edge. I assume it was something like @nukecad mentioned, something still running that I just wasn't seeing. However when I just checked, that specific option is not enabled. So I don't know what exactly caused it.

Anyway, it's working now.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, rj79 said:

. So I don't know what exactly caused it.

Did you have any addons such as adblock or norton?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

On 20/02/2022 at 16:35, Nergal said:

Did you have any addons such as adblock or norton?

Nope, nothing, everything about Edge is/was the default settings. I only use it for certain things so I never changed or added anything, my main browser is Brave.

• Moderators

As long as it OK now then that's the main thing.

An occastional restart is always a good idea, and if you start seing browser skipping in CCleaner again you now know that a restart should fix that.
It would be nice to know just what was causing it, but sometimes you never do find out.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner

To return the original topic, Google Syndication cookies will be fully cleaned from v5.91, due for release tomorrow. 🙂

Not to de-rail the current discussions.

I would just like to report that the original problems that I reported back in December are now fixed.

I removed the custom includes, checked again with SuperAnti-spyware and all is good.

Thank you all who participated in rooting this out.

• 1 month later...

I guess I spoke too soon.

CCleaner is not checking and cleaning NETWORK COOKIES

Here is an example as identified by SuperAntiSpyware:

Adware.Tracking Cookie
    .homedepot.com\_meta_mediaMath_iframe_counter [ C:\USERS\"username"\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\NETWORK\COOKIES ]
    homedepot-app.quantummetric.com\U [ C:\USERS\"username"AB\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\NETWORK\COOKIES ]
    www.homedepot.com\kampyleSessionPageCounter [ C:\USERS\"username"AB\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\NETWORK\COOKIES ]

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Haapy I've not yet been able to replicate this issue; I navigated to homedepot.com in the latest version of Google Chrome, then ran v5.92 CCleaner to remove Chrome's cookies. Afterwards, a SUPERAntiSpyware scan did not find anything classified as an Adware.Tracking Cookie.

By chance, do you have homedepot.com configured in the Options > Cookies > Cookies to Keep area of CCleaner?

Megan, your are absolutely correct!

I do have Home Depot saved in CCleaner. My apologies for that oversight.

Ticket closed and I will be removing those HD trackers and see what impact it has to the web site..

Thank you.

Andy