CCleaner not deleting all cookies

Moondoggy

I frequently run CCLeaner to get rid of my junk and when I ran it today I happened to check my cookies after cleaning and there were still cookies present and this has never happened before.  I ran the cleaner again and they were still there.  I selected them all and clicked delete and they disappeared but when I clicked on another menu item and then rre-selected cookies again they returned with me not even opening my browser.  I then went to BRAVE and deleted all of my cookies and ran CCleaner again they were still there.  All of these cookies end with safeframe.googlesyndication.com.  Can anyone explain what these are and why CCleaner is not removing them?  I've attached a snapshot of the cookies that are not being deleted.

unwanted cookies.jpg

• Moderators

It is normal normal that some things come back again straight after cleaning.

Browser syncing is one thing that will do it - even if your browser is not open/active it may be 'pre-loading' synced information and cookies.

All those cookies seem to be from google. Are you using a Chromium based browser (that is synced)?

You could check if that is what is happening by disconnecting from the internet (pull the ethernet plug out of the computet and turn off wifi), run CCleaner, wait a minute and run it again.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 5 months later...

I had the exact problem but eventually found the solution.  The reappearing cookies are not due to a flaw in CCleaner.  The cookies originate from folders installed on your PC, most likely malware.  Look in your Windows user folder.  Delete odd looking folders.  That solved my problem.  My malware folders were located in: C\Users\(my user name).

This problem was very frustrating.  Google searches of forums provided no solution.  Scans by antivirus software did not find malware.  Web browser cookies containing "safeframe.googlesyndication" kept reappearing as soon as I deleted them.  This happened even when I did not reopen a browser.  I considered reinstalling Windows 10 as a solution.  In preparation I checked my Windows user folder for files that I wanted to back up.  Inside my Windows user folder I found a couple unexpected folders that I did not previously create.  I assume the folders were malware installed by some free software I downloaded.  I am not sure how how the odd folders installed on my PC.  I did not record the name of the folders in order to write this post.  But I think the folders had names implying reputable brands such as Oracle.  Anyway they were not personal folders.  I deleted both folders, including all contents.  Then my "safeframe.googlesyndication" cookies problem disappeared.  The problem has not reoccurred in the past week.  Now when I delete cookies they remain deleted.

• Moderators

Not malware. It's a JavaScript file for an ad being delivered through Google's advertising system.

See here

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/264194-safeframegooglesyndicationcom-download-popup/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 4 weeks later...

I had this happen. As already mentioned, the culprit is typically Chrome or another Chromium browser. I had set certain sites to never accept cookies or delete cookies after closing the browser and that remedied Google cookies.

However, if I use a portable browser like Firefox or Chrome, CCleaner doesn't clean anything from them. I also experienced something similar with the desktop full version of Firefox, but in the reverse. CCleaner deleted the cookies from FF, but FF would not delete some cookies using the delete option despite no cookies saved in FF's "whitelist". 

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Hmm To allow the portable builds of Chrome and Firefox to be cleaned, you'll need to create a "CustomLocation" entry in CCleaner's INI file, as described here: https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/ccleaner-ini-files/how-to-clean-user-data-from-non-standard-mozilla-browsers

For Chrome, you would use CustomLocation1=CHROME|[profile folder path] and for Firefox, you would use CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|[profile folder path]

(e.g. CustomLocation1=CHROME|C:\Users\[USERNAME]\portableapps\GoogleChromePortable64\Data\profile\Default)

If wanted, our support team would be more than happy to provide further assistance with this; simply let me know if they have permission to contact you via email, using the same address that is registered to your forums account.

(Or, you can send them an email using support@ccleaner.com)

8 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Hi @Hmm To allow the portable builds of Chrome and Firefox to be cleaned, you'll need to create a "CustomLocation" entry in CCleaner's INI file, as described here: https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/ccleaner-ini-files/how-to-clean-user-data-from-non-standard-mozilla-browsers

For Chrome, you would use CustomLocation1=CHROME|[profile folder path] and for Firefox, you would use CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|[profile folder path]

(e.g. CustomLocation1=CHROME|C:\Users\[USERNAME]\portableapps\GoogleChromePortable64\Data\profile\Default)

If wanted, our support team would be more than happy to provide further assistance with this; simply let me know if they have permission to contact you via email, using the same address that is registered to your forums account.

(Or, you can send them an email using support@ccleaner.com)

Hi thanks for that. But I don't know exactly what path the cookies et al are located in so I can select the custom path (eg folder) for Chrome or Firefox to clean. You mentioned above the cookies and other settings are located in the GoogleChromePortable64\Data\profile\Default folder. History et al are also located there too? And with FF? 

In FF, the folder is D:\Firefox Portable\FirefoxPortable64. But there are other folders to choose from like:

D:\Firefox Portable\FirefoxPortable64\Apps

D:\Firefox Portable\FirefoxPortable64\Data

D:\Firefox Portable\FirefoxPortable64\Other

With Brave Portable it's a bit  different:
D:\Portable Apps fast\brave-portable

D:\Portable Apps fast\brave-portable\app

D:\Portable Apps fast\brave-portable\data

D:\Portable Apps fast\brave-portable\log

D:\Portable Apps fast\brave-portable\reg

The instructions in the link you provided are confusing and don't seem to reflect real world naming conventions. What is Magicfox, what is GeckoWow?:

Method #1: Clean profile information using the CustomLocation entry in ccleaner.ini

You can enter as many locations for CCleaner to clean in the Options section of ccleaner.ini, but they must be in the following format:

CustomLocationX=FIREFOX|[folder path]

Where X is a whole number starting at 1 and going upwards.

Here is an example which specifies two Mozilla-based browser locations for cleaning:

CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|C:\MagicFox\data

CustomLocation2=FIREFOX|C:\GeckoWow\profile\sam

Notes:

• The location entries must start at 1 and proceed sequentially upwards.
  • The folder path is case-insensitive.
  • You must use the term "FIREFOX" followed by the pipe symbol and the folder path.
  • You do not need to add entries for Firefox, Flock, or SeaMonkey

Additionally, I only see an option to delete the selected files and folders when pointing to the path. Running the "Analyze" feature shows everything will be deleted and this is in fact a destructive method. I would need to know precisely what individual files must be added to CC or it will delete everything. We should be provided a [detailed and up to date template] for the most common portable browsers. 

If the above could become a sticky, it sure would be helpful for everyone. 🙂

• Moderators

In an installed version of CCleaner you have to do this to enable cleaner.ini:
1. Open CCleaner.
2. Go into Options > Advanced > Enable/tick: Save all settings to INI file
3. Close CCleaner.
4. Open the folder where CCleaner is installed, it's where CCleaner.exe, CCleaner64.exe are located. In that folder you'll find ccleaner.ini which can be manually edited to input a CustomLocation for portable web browser cleaning.

A Firefox Portable example is this (has to be mapped to the profile folder):
CustomLocation1=FIREFOX|G:\PortableApps\FirefoxPortableESR\Data\profile