CCleaner not deleting Chrome cookies [Fixed in CC5.89]

Haapy

i think it all is nonsense, that there is no problem with the ccleaner program, where it allegedly is not deleting cookies.

also, i am not seeing any problems with the files at

"C:\Users\("user" )\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Code Cache"

12 minutes ago, Haapy said:

It is not nonsense. Yes, CCleaner is deleting the Default\Code Cache, but it is not deleting the new \Default\Network\Cookies nor all the JS files. 

what you mean is that the ccleaner program is not deleting the file, which is named "cookies," in the "network" folder, and it is not deleting files within the "code cache" folder, but who says that that is a problem, that those files need to be deleted, other than you?

that is what i am saying, that i don't think that it actually is a problem that those files that you refer to are not being deleted. i am not seeing that they are a problem, on my computer.

@haapy, i did some testing and i see, now, what you are talking about, regarding the js-files, within chrome's "code cache\js" folder. they are not removed, automatically, by simple closing the chrome browser, or by simply running ccleaner. however, they are removed if you use chrome's own "clear browsing data."

that was why i wasn't seeing a problem, because i always run chrome's own "clear browsing data" before closing the chrome browser. (after having closed the browser, i then run "ccleaner," which removes some additional chrome-files that aren't removed when running chrome's own "clear browsing data" )

another thing is that, a few weeks ago, i switched from using the chrome browser to using the firefox browser. it's a long story but one of the reasons i switched to using the firefox browser was because, with the chrome browser, i was having too many issues with the "noscript" browser-extension, where it was blocking content, causing a problem. i have similar issues, using "noscript" with the firefox browser, too, but it is not as bad, with firefox.

the issue, with the cookies allegedly not being deleted, and with the js-files within chrome's "code cache\js"-folder, just came up in the last couple of weeks, after i had switched from using the chrome browser to using firefox, instead.

I have the same problem. How to fix it if the CCleaner cannot delete all cookies. I made a cleaner with cookies in Google Chrome selection, but when i open this Chrome>Settings, it still show the cookies 

CCleaner version 5.88, Chrome version 96.0.4664.110, Windows 10 21H2

Thanks.

• Admin

To recap, the latest Chromium version changed it's cookie storage location after the 5.88 build had already been completed.  This is a known issue with Chromium-based browsers. CCleaner 5.89 will be updated to reflect this and then all shall be well with cookie cleaning once more.  

Note that changes of this nature with browsers and other software that CCleaner cleans up after are fairly common - which is why we release so often, and why we always recommend using the latest version of CCleaner.  Usually, we have our rules updated and a fresh version release before the browser changes take place, although in this case they beat us to it with our release timings disrupted around the Christmas/New Year period.

Be sure to have your automatic updates turned on so you get CCleaner 5.89 as soon as it comes out in the New Year.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

thank you, dave. personally i am not noticing any issues with ccleaner's cookie-cleaning though it seems that some people are experiencing an issue, there.

there has been an ongoing issue with "safeframe.googlesyndication.com cookies," for some people. i am wondering if that is what people are seeing, "safeframe.googlesyndication.com" cookies? people aren't really giving the specifics of what it is that they are seeing when they say that chrome-cookies are not being deleted. but, again, i have not experienced the "safeframe.googlesyndication.com"-cookies-problem, either.

it has been said that the "safeframe.googlesyndication.com cookies" are just some type of "placeholder" for ads that appear on webpages. also, it has been said that they orginate from "tpc.googlesyndication.com" ("TPC" stands for "third-party-cookie" ), so i have "tpc.googlesyndication.com" blocked in my HOSTS file, and in my own custom blocklist for the "ublock origin" browser-extension, and in my browsers' cookie-settings, too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=safeframe.googlesyndication.com+cookies

incidentally, i use the "cookie autodelete" browser-extension. it's possible that that has some bearing on why i am not seeing any problem with cookies not being deleted. i also have my browsers set to block third-party cookies.

to add, i am not seeing an issue with the "cookies" file within chrome's new "network" folder, at "C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Network." when i open the file, the only data, there, that i see, is for the few cookies that i have "saved."

i created a custom-rule for ccleaner to remove files at chrome's "C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Code Cache\js" while saving the "index" file, there. (those files also can be removed by running chrome's own "clear browsing data" )

the same rules for the edge-chromium browser..

On 22/12/2021 at 15:22, redwolfe_98 said:

i think it all is nonsense, that there is no problem with the ccleaner program, where it allegedly is not deleting cookies.

This is a great example of a troll-like comment. We see this kind of mindset with anti-vaxxers, covidiots, and conspiracy theorists (just to  name a few). If they [personally] don't experience a behaviour or outcome, then they blatantly deny there's an issue or concern.

I am glad Dave, the Admin finally acknowledged the issue so trolls like redwolfe can reflect on their twisted thinking.

On 29/12/2021 at 03:11, Dave CCleaner said:

To recap, the latest Chromium version changed it's cookie storage location after the 5.88 build had already been completed.  This is a known issue with Chromium-based browsers. CCleaner 5.89 will be updated to reflect this and then all shall be well with cookie cleaning once more.  

Note that changes of this nature with browsers and other software that CCleaner cleans up after are fairly common - which is why we release so often, and why we always recommend using the latest version of CCleaner.  Usually, we have our rules updated and a fresh version release before the browser changes take place, although in this case they beat us to it with our release timings disrupted around the Christmas/New Year period.

Be sure to have your automatic updates turned on so you get CCleaner 5.89 as soon as it comes out in the New Year.

*bump*

When is the update going to be rolled out?

On 29/12/2021 at 12:11, Dave CCleaner said:

Hello

Any news when will be new version of CCleaner PRO with Windows 11 Microsoft Edge 97.0.1072.55 support?

Best Regards

TaKeN

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi everyone. We do not currently have a definitive estimation as to when the new version of CCleaner (v5.89) will be released as it depends on several various factors but I strongly suspect this will happen before the end of next week, at which time the cookie cleaning issue should be corrected.

13 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Hi everyone. We do not currently have a definitive estimation as to when the new version of CCleaner (v5.89) will be released as it depends on several various factors but I strongly suspect this will happen before the end of next week, at which time the cookie cleaning issue should be corrected.

Let's hope so. Because many websites are optimized for Chromium browsers such as Edge,

Having to manually delete certain cookes and keep only the ones you want is a PIA. Although I have now set Firefox as my default browser (for most sites). Someone should create a browser extension that has this capablity. 

If you want to save cookies in Chrome, in CCleaner go to Options, Cookies and move the cookies you want to keep into the Cookies to Keep column. The cookies are always saved when you do a custom clean.

This is a simple one time thing to do unless you want to keep additional cookies down the road.

On 11/01/2022 at 20:22, Haapy said:

If you want to save cookies in Chrome, in CCleaner go to Options, Cookies and move the cookies you want to keep into the Cookies to Keep column. The cookies are always saved when you do a custom clean.

This is a simple one time thing to do unless you want to keep additional cookies down the road.

For me, I have a huge list of cookies I want to keep—from financial institutions and government websites. That's why I became so reliant on CCleaner, but now it's just the "old-fashioned way" of deleting cookies one by one, launching Chrome in Incognito, use Firefox, or using Chrome's nuclear approach. 

Anyway, it's Thursday night. Almost the end of the week. Let's see if there'll be an update tomorrow or this weekend. I'm not holding my breath, though.

On 11/01/2022 at 06:47, MeganCCleaner said:

Still waiting...but you said end of next week.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Hmm said:

We do not currently have a definitive estimation as to when the new version of CCleaner (v5.89) will be released

She also said this

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

On 11/01/2022 at 15:47, MeganCCleaner said:

Thank You Megan for information :-)

Best Regards

TaKeN

• Admin
7 hours ago, NukeZero said:

no end in sight

A roughly indicative timeframe has already been provided above for the release of CCleaner 5.89.  While we don't announce exact release dates in advance (since QA always gets the final say before shipping), a shrewd observer might note that:

1. CCleaner 5.88 was released December 14th.
  2. CCleaner for Windows regularly does an update release every 3-5 weeks. 
  3. Tack on a week for the Christmas/New Year break/freeze

... which might lead one to conclude that CCleaner 5.89 would be due by January 25th.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

For those of you who are impatient and upset, from my original 12/22 post, use the Options, Include.

I am re-posting it for you. This will tide you over until CCleaner finishes testing and updating.

Please note: Edge has the same issue with JS files as Chrome does.  They build up indefinitely. 

You need to add options, include to add the JS locations for both Edge and Chrome.

Note: this include also takes care of the \Network\Cookies issue.

c:\Users\"USER"\

image.png.d317865f551a2c367395760d70651c3d.png

23 hours ago, Haapy said:

For those of you who are impatient and upset, from my original 12/22 post, use the Options, Include.

I am re-posting it for you. This will tide you over until CCleaner finishes testing and updating.

Please note: Edge has the same issue with JS files as Chrome does.  They build up indefinitely. 

You need to add options, include to add the JS locations for both Edge and Chrome.

Note: this include also takes care of the \Network\Cookies issue.

c:\Users\"USER"\

image.png.d317865f551a2c367395760d70651c3d.png

For eediots like me, how and where exactly do we add the above to CCleaner? Are there any instructions on how to add these entries and do they have to be added one-by-one or can we just copy and paste? CCleaner's interface is quite archaic. 

1 hour ago, Hmm said:

For eediots like me, how and where exactly do we add the above to CCleaner? Are there any instructions on how to add these entries and do they have to be added one-by-one or can we just copy and paste? CCleaner's interface is quite archaic. 

1. Open CCleaner

2. On the left hand side click options

3. Click Include

4. In the upper right hand corner click add

5. Click either drive or folder if you wish to empty the whole folder OR click file if you want to delete an individual file. NOTE: follow my screen shot. They are all emptying folders.

6. Click Browse and locate your deletion folder or file.

7. Click OK

That should do it. It should look just like mine if you are using Chrome and Edge.

Andy

Thanks Haappy, The above list (was a PIA to manually enter) and was working for a few days but not anymore.

I checked and for whatever reason, maybe I unticked it but Custom Files and Folders was unticked, It's cleaning now.

What I am seeing is that CCleaner is showing an entry for Google Chrome - Cookies in the listing of what needs cleaning after cleaning cookies. The entry shows 0K with one file listed as follows:

Cookie: 037ab814be3b3c658ae0c578045fbbda.safeframe.googlesyndication.com