PS2 vs PS3

PS3

and yet games will probably never need that much power and the 360 is the only one that will play both halo 3 and the new gta so there is no question on which to get

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

and yet games will probably never need that much power and the 360 is the only one that will play both halo 3 and the new gta so there is no question on which to get

never need that much power? you're still back in the stone age dude.

GTA IV will be out on PS3 first.

and yet games will probably never need that much power...

No offense oli, but that is literally the silliest thing I have ever heard!

You do realize that in 10 years we have gone from computers sporting 33 MHz processors to shiny new dual-core Athlon rigs blazing at close to 3000 MHz. The fastest processors we have to offer right now are nearly 200 times more powerful than the best of the best a decade ago. There are already programs that can tax supercomputers with thousands of processors, and you think that games will NEVER be designed which will take advantage of the PS3's comparatively measily hardware?! Ridiculous!

EXPECT to see video games cause the PS3 to lag in 3 years or less. Expect it, because it will happen. I remember how revolutionary the Nintendo 64 was when it came out. Who would've thought that we would need any more power than a MASSIVE 4 MBs RAM (8 if you got the expansion pack!) and a blazing fast 100 MHz processor? :P

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

toshay. kinda what i meant was that none of the games are really using the power now, like perfect dark. its good but its not much better than halo 2 is and that ran on a p3 500.

also gta 4 comes out on both at the same time, plus it will be better on 360 as microsoft and rockstar have set up an agreement so that people can download exclusive content through live.

@lokokie: we'd all like the games to lag on a PS3 but there are things called limits. so don't hold your breath for it to happen ;)

Indeed, one day games will come to the point where we can't tell the difference between them and real life. But that day is still a ways off. Give me any brand new game, and I can point out every polygon, every misplaced shadow, every 2-D sprite posing as a 3-D object... games have come a long ways, but they still have a long ways to go before they can fool me, or anybody else. In my opinion, the PS3 is by no means "the system to end all systems". Just as soon as the hardware to run powerhungry games comes out, software writers will pop out code that needs an even faster system. History has proven that a dozen times over.

I can confidently say that games will come out in the next couple of years that will be able to tax the PS3 to the fullest. The software is already there... we just don't have inexpensive hardware fast enough to run it yet, so developers devote more of their resources toward making low quality games, such as those for the X-Box and PS2, instead of making big beautiful games that nobody can play. :D

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

also gta 4 comes out on both at the same time, plus it will be better on 360 as microsoft and rockstar have set up an agreement so that people can download exclusive content through live.

i can garrantee the graphics wont be better than the PS3.

In my opinion, the PS3 is by no means "the system to end all systems".

that only means its the system to end all systems for this decade. xbox 360 and Wii will be no match for the PS3. if you have a think about it, the PS2 is beating the 360 sales. imagine what the figures will be when the PS3 is out.

• Moderators

Give me any brand new game, and I can point out every polygon, every misplaced shadow, every 2-D sprite posing as a 3-D object... games have come a long ways, but they still have a long ways to go before they can fool me, or anybody else.

The old relics like some 2-D stuff as some flat tree's in a game, drive me insane. I swear some games are using some sort of derivative of Nintendo's Mode 7 "graphics enhancement" from the SNES. GTA San Andreas has to be the most plagued game with problems like very late drawing of important objects like that tree you're about you fly a jet into. However, hopefully that will be corrected in the next GTA thanks to the PS3's power.

In my opinion, the PS3 is by no means "the system to end all systems".
Agreed, however it will be the system to end my usage of PS2 which is on more than my PC, I'm surprised it's still alive albeit it is my second unit.

i can garrantee the graphics wont be better than the PS3

they will be the same just like every game that is on multiple platforms, you wont be able to tell the difference

they will be the same just like every game that is on multiple platforms, you wont be able to tell the difference

maybe you cant but i will.

An interesting thing with the PlayStation 3 is that it will have the Cell processor.

As far as I know, it will be expensive, and cost like $600.

I heard that the PS3 is done, but it is delayed because Sony had to put DRM crap on it.

Death to DRM and copy protection crap.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

PS3 is not two times as powerful as the 360. :mellow: More lies from Sony it seems.

The difference between the 360 and the PS3 is very minimal, infact it's smaller then the gap between the Xbox and PS2.

never need that much power? you're still back in the stone age dude.

GTA IV will be out on PS3 first.

Wrong. GTAIV is coming out on 360 as the same day as the PS3. And the 360 gets exclusive content over Xbox Live. What has sony been feeding you?

that only means its the system to end all systems for this decade. xbox 360 and Wii will be no match for the PS3. if you have a think about it, the PS2 is beating the 360 sales. imagine what the figures will be when the PS3 is out.

For US$600 dollars? I don't think so.

Oh, and it says your from Australia. The 360 broke a sales record here.

You know the PS3's gonna be AUS$1,000, right? Good luck paying that. :lol:

you're wrong. ive pre-ordered my PS3 for AU$900. and its a 60GB with 2 wireless controllers, 1 game of my choice.

and when i said the PS3 is twice more powerful than the 360 is my own opinion. ive compared the specs side by side and the PS3 specs looks a lot better.

even if it was AU$1000, i still dont think thats alot. im getting alot more for that money. getting the BD Player on its own is more expensive then getting the PS3.

and the 360 was being outsold by the PS2. i got my news from here

i dont care if its more then US$600 for the PS3. as long as its not affecting too much price here. (australia) heres the price of it

and whereabouts are you paying AU$1000 just for the PS3 and nothing else?

get your facts straight!

you're wrong. ive pre-ordered my PS3 for AU$900. and its a 60GB with 2 wireless controllers, 1 game of my choice.

and when i said the PS3 is twice more powerful than the 360 is my own opinion. ive compared the specs side by side and the PS3 specs looks a lot better.

Sorry, but the $900 version is the 20GB version. Yes, the rip off version. Then you say you got 2 wireless controllers and 1 game, which would equal over $1,000 anyway.

More powerful CAN'T be an opinion. Specs CAN'T be an opinon. The fact is, the PS3 is only slightly more powerful then the 360. The difference is VERY, VERY minimal. Know your facts.

even if it was AU$1000, i still dont think thats alot. im getting alot more for that money. getting the BD Player on its own is more expensive then getting the PS3.

Do you own a HDTV?

It's ugly, and just like the PS2 it sure isn't easy on the eyes! I don't like the looks or ideal of it having a slot-loading optical drive. Hopefully thats just a preliminary design concept.

Nope, thats exactly what it will look like. There were silver and white versions too but these have been dropped. The version with hard drive has a little bit of silver trim too (about $100 more). Note the controller is the same shape as the PS 2 version (the boomerang shape was dropped) but has no vibration(motion sensitivity instead).

An interesting thing with the PlayStation 3 is that it will have the Cell processor.

As far as I know, it will be expensive, and cost like $600.

I heard that the PS3 is done, but it is delayed because Sony had to put DRM crap on it.

Death to DRM and copy protection crap.

Apparently the actual cost of the ps2 (not the price it will be sold for) is around ?900, it will therefore be sold at a massive loss (as most PS console have been). Also I am pretty certain DRM will not be included, all I have seen regarding this is scare mongering, not actual facts.

The fact is, the PS3 is only slightly more powerful then the 360.

Err, if you say so. (360 plays HD Blu-Ray games does it?)

Sorry, but the $900 version is the 20GB version. Yes, the rip off version. Then you say you got 2 wireless controllers and 1 game, which would equal over $1,000 anyway.

More powerful CAN'T be an opinion. Specs CAN'T be an opinon. The fact is, the PS3 is only slightly more powerful then the 360. The difference is VERY, VERY minimal. Know your facts.

Do you own a HDTV?

well, ive paid AU$900 and thats all im paying. i dont own a HDTV but my parents own 2 and when i get the PS3, im going to get their smaller one.

well, ive paid AU$900 and thats all im paying. i dont own a HDTV but my parents own 2 and when i get the PS3, im going to get their smaller one.

"Sony has locked in 17 November as the Australian launch date for the PlayStation 3, just in time for Christmas. The system will come in two bundles -- a PS3 with a 20GB hard drive (confirmed RRP of AU$829) and one with a 60GB HDD (confirmed RRP of AU$999)."

http://cnet.com.au/games/ps3/0,39035763,40062685,00.htm

P.S You better be using an HDTV otherwise you wont see the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.