Update failure

• Moderators

Need more information than stopped working.  What happened exactly? Which OS are you using? Did the install of the update finish? At what point does it "stop"? after press clean? during analysis? loading?

The more information you give the more we can help.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I am having the exact same problem, free version 5.65. Try to execute from icon of start menu nothing at all happens, just won't execute. Tried uninstall, reinstall, reboot. Nothing worked. Windows 10 pro 64 & up to date.

I have a paid version of ccleaner pro, installed on a Win10 system.  The install seemed to have finished normal, no indication that it didn't. The program itself fails to load/start.  No messages, even checked task manager and nothing, no processes or services were started.  Been a user for years, never had an issue before this.

I use McAfee Endpoint security and have the same issue after upgrade. "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.". Windows 10, CCleaner Pro, 64bit version. Upon launching the program I get:

CCleaner.jpg

Edited by fillmore

I have a paid version of CCleaner Business Edition on a windows 7 with ESET NOD 32 antivirus.  The home screen shows version

5.64.7613 and it says update 5.65.7632 is available.  So, I've ckd it to update and it shows the progress, that it has updated, then I get another update notice for the same one.  Apparently it is in some kind of update loop.  Something isn't working right.  The program itself seems to run fine, but the update isn't installing properly.  Is there some

kind of log file I need to delete or something?

Edited by Jaybet
typo

I downloaded the latest update and could not open ccleaner pro after the download was complete numerous attempts from various menus still didn't work

I uninstalled and reinstalled ccleaner pro twice it wont open I uninstalled it again and that's where I am now I am running a Dell Latitude with widows 10. Help

• Moderators
1 hour ago, William Schneller said:

I now find that ccleanerpro will open and work as long as I turn my security (Trend Micro) off. as soon as I turn it back on I cant open ccleanerpro

Sounds like you need to Whitelist ccleaner in trend micro (see trend micro on how to do that because i don't know).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Are either or both of you using Trend Micro?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Malwarebytes can be known for this problem from time to time with various softwares.
The ransomware protection component is especially prone to doing it, it seems a bit too keen at times.

You might want to report it over there: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/

There is obviously an issue for some users and at this stage we are trying to work out if it's a bug or simply a case of the AV's needing to update their definitions for the new CCeaner version.
It often happens with a new version of any software that AVs take a couple of days (or even weeks) to update their definitions and stop blocking it.
It depends on just how the particular AVs detection engine works, which is why some are more prone to doing it than others.

Trend Security/Trend Micro are confirmed to be blocking v5.65 at the moment, and McAfee is also reported as doing so.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have this problem with version 5.65 and I don't have Malwarebytes installed at all.

New computer with Windows 10 Home and AV Trend Micro Antivirus+ for years with old computer as well.

Never had this kind of problem before. Only with version 5.65.

Rolled back to v 5.64. and all is OK.

Edited by Louise Smith

• Moderators

Nobody said that malwarebytes was a general problem, just for that user.

You do have Trend Micro which is a known problem with v5.65.

The fact that you can roll back to v5.64 without any problem is a strong indication that the problem is with Trend Micro not having updated their definitions yet.

Piriform/CCleaner can do nothing about that, it's up to Trend to get their fingers out and update their definitions.

To be fair though I believe that they already have, if you look on virus total then Trend Micro shows v5.65 as clean.

Is Trend up to date on your computer?

Guest Stephen CCleaner
22 hours ago, Jaybet said:

I have a paid version of CCleaner Business Edition on a windows 7 with ESET NOD 32 antivirus.  The home screen shows version

5.64.7613 and it says update 5.65.7632 is available.  So, I've ckd it to update and it shows the progress, that it has updated, then I get another update notice for the same one.  Apparently it is in some kind of update loop.  Something isn't working right.  The program itself seems to run fine, but the update isn't installing properly.  Is there some

kind of log file I need to delete or something?

This issue (update bug relating to Business Edition only) has been fixed. Please try the update once more.

I only mentioned Malwarebytes to eliminate this program as being a potential problem.

My AV Trend Micro is always up to date on my computer. I have Trend for years now and never had a problem with CCleaner/Trend Micro.

With so many having problem with CCleaner v5.65 I would suggest that CCleaner is the problem...

Guest Stephen CCleaner
6 minutes ago, Louise Smith said:

I only mentioned Malwarebytes to eliminate this program as being a potential problem.

My AV Trend Micro is always up to date on my computer. I have Trend for years now and never had a problem with CCleaner/Trend Micro.

With so many having problem with CCleaner v5.65 I would suggest that CCleaner is the problem...

Please can you confirm if this issue is still occurring today?

VirusTotal shows that TrendMicro doesn't have a problem with the install file:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/810d4b0d8f4171b13f6d5a4c5c6c5e33209af7af6c378a2218007caae12dc2d6/detection