Update failure

• Moderators

And as said above I've also checked the ccleaner.exe and ccleaner64.exe runfiles and nothing, including TrendMicro is showing any problem with those either.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/d2f391341c8145f3faf445db6c6ef3adf2019f1f8264cd7c4bd52239d6bfbff0/detection

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

i too have this same problem and was one of the first to report it after the March 2020 update. I have the Pro version and am a paid subcriber. I also have windows 10 and trend micro. It appears to me to open like once a day. sometimes it will open and run, but if you try to open it again say an hour later you can't. This was not a problem prior and you could open it repeatedly all day long before this last update. I have tried to re-download the trila version and of course it re-installs. still happens. This only started after last update from CCleaner. There were no updates from Trend Micro during that time. I don't think any windows updates. so it is definitely a glitch here upon opening it. You can't open it from the desktop shortcut. sometimes you can open it from the start menu and get a run in. at this point it would be hard to even get a fix as if you can't open it you can't catch an update to fix it.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JRCleaner said:

This only started after last update from CCleaner. There were no updates from Trend Micro during that time.

And that appears to be the problem, Trend Micro needs updating to the latest definitions so that it stops blocking the latest CCleaner.

Just for info, The latest Trend Micro version is 16.0.1302 released earlier this month.

https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-security/1120881.aspx?cm_mmc=MaximumSecurityPage-_-SupportNews-_-TiHE-_-2019

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I am having a similar problem. It started 2 or 3 days ago. The programme sometimes works but mostly hangs when analyzing. I'm using Windows 10x64 and it is the CCLeaner free 5.65 version. I don't have Trend Micro but I do have Malwarebytes.

Here is a screenshot of what I get when it sometimes works.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Piano

I have been having same issue.

windows 7 home premium

Microsoft security essentials

I download it 

run as admin

say yes to agree to terms

and the box just stays white, nothing happens.  left it like that for at least 4 hours, still the same white box.

I'm thinking it's the download file that isn't complete or stuff missing?

Last version works great.

I've got 5.65.7632 Pro running fine, but it disappears from the system tray randomly. Only noticed when I didn't get notification that Chrome was being cleaned. Win10 Pro 1909, running Sophos Home Pro and Malwarebytes Free, if that's relevant. 

Edit: it's quitting Chrome that's doing it. Icon does the sweep animation and then goes. Doesn't happen with Chromium Edge. Chrome is  80.0.3987.149

Edited by merpug
Further information

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, dannyc said:

How does one re-install version 5.64?

https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

If they update the page 5.64 will be on the right side, but as of this writing 5.64 is the latest on file hippo.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

If you try to register 4.64 as Pro then it will automatically update itself to 5.65 again as soon as you register, leaving you back where you started.

Stay with 5.64 in Free mode for now.

Stay with 5.64 in Free mode

39 minutes ago, nukecad said:

If you try to register 4.64 as Pro then it will automatically update itself to 5.65 again as soon as you register, leaving you back where you started.

39 minutes ago, nukecad said:

That's what I will do, stay with 5.64 free.    Does anyone plan to fix this?   How will we know?    A downloadable 5.64 won't be out there forever.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, dannyc said:

That's what I will do, stay with 5.64 free.    Does anyone plan to fix this?   How will we know?    A downloadable 5.64 won't be out there forever.

v5.64 will be on Filehippo, they always keep old versions on the right of the page.
They go back as far as v1.16.082 from November 2004, so I don't think you need worry about it becoming unavailable any time soon.

As for a fix, it depends exactly what the problem is.

At the moment it looks like an Anti-Virus false detection by some AV's, which those AV companies will have to fix themselves.

Guest Sandra CCleaner

Hi, thanks for reaching out to our community. We're sorry about the error you have experienced. Our product team is aware of this issue. So far our investigations (as well as this and other threads) show that adding CCleaner to the exception list of your anti-virus should solve the issue - so far this has worked for Trend Micro and Virus Buster.  Or, as suggested above, downloading an older verion of CCleaner. 

We are urgently continuing to investigate this and appreciate your help with looking for a solution to the error. Thank you. 

Guest Sandra CCleaner

Hi there, I would suggest adding CCleaner to the exclusion list in Malwarebytes. 

We are also urgently investigating the reports of Security button being grayed out and failing to connect to server. We will be communicating any updates as soon as they will become available. We apologize for the error and hope that it will be fixed soon. 

On 26/03/2020 at 15:00, Piano said:

I am having a similar problem. It started 2 or 3 days ago. The programme sometimes works but mostly hangs when analyzing. I'm using Windows 10x64 and it is the CCLeaner free 5.65 version. I don't have Trend Micro but I do have Malwarebytes.

Here is a screenshot of what I get when it sometimes works.

Capture.PNG

3 hours ago, Sandra CCleaner said:

Hi, thanks for reaching out to our community. We're sorry about the error you have experienced. Our product team is aware of this issue. So far our investigations (as well as this and other threads) show that adding CCleaner to the exception list of your anti-virus should solve the issue - so far this has worked for Trend Micro and Virus Buster.  Or, as suggested above, downloading an older verion of CCleaner. 

We are urgently continuing to investigate this and appreciate your help with looking for a solution to the error. Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, dannyc said:

2 minutes ago, dannyc said:

3 hours ago, Sandra CCleaner said:

No, adding CCleaner to the exception list of your anti-virus (Trend Micro)  Did Not Work, that's why I had to go back to v. 5.64 to do the cleaning.

Guest Sandra CCleaner
1 minute ago, dannyc said:

No, adding CCleaner to the exception list of your anti-virus (Trend Micro)  Did Not Work, that's why I had to go back to v. 5.64 to do the cleaning

Hi Danny, I will communicate this to our team and will be in touch once I hear back. Thank you.

Guest Sandra CCleaner
8 minutes ago, dannyc said:

Thanks,  I paid for the Pro version, but now have to use the free v. 5.64.

Hi, we will make sure that the time is not lost from your license. We apologize for the inconvenience, and want to reassure you that our team is doing the best it can to solve this. 

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Pro users do not need to use the Free version. They can simply disable automatic updates in the Updates menu and continue to use all other paid features on v5.64 while we investigate this.

To do this:

1. In a Pro-registered version of v5.65, disable Automatic Updates in the Updates menu
  2. Without uninstalling, install v5.64 over the top of v5.65 by downloading and running the v5.64 installer