whats up with the forum?

anywhere where it should have a smiley or a symbol that is normally used to describe something, the words appear. for instance rolling eyes smiley looks like ":rolleyes:.

must be something specific to my computer then and not the forum. it is distorting the forum for me and is weird. i just put kerio firewall on instead of zonealarm, i wonder if that did something?hmmmm

Would those of you who, like me, are experiencing problems with the look of the forum please check your security.

I have found that the images are not downloading because my firewall blocks outgoing information about visited sites. Disabling that feature allows the site to load normally.

I have not been able to detect any problem on my computer and I am not having this problem at any other site. I find this very disturbing.

• Moderators

speaking of whats up with the forum..can anyone tell me why my adblock is not filtering out the ads?

Dunno why your adblock isn't working, however you can block Google's ad's in your browsers and via the HOSTS file by blocking these two URL's:

pagead2.googlesyndication.com

googlesyndication.com

• Moderators

thanks Andavari..i did'nt think of blocking the ads via HOST files or the browser, i was being lazy as usual i guess.

I don't see any ad's anywhere (well some text sometimes get's through but no ad images load) because I use the hpHOSTS HOSTS File, and the MVPS HOSTS File.

If you use either one of them you'll need HostsMan to remove the duplicates, and possible errors. Just don't let HostsMan automatically download and install those two HOSTS files if you already have a custom built homemade HOSTS file of your own because it will remove your original entries as I found out, good thing I make backups because I would have lost my five plus years in the making original HOSTS file.

i dont know why, but the forum is good again today. nothing has changed on my computer, so i dont know what that was all about. hmmmmm.

oh, it also loads faster again.

I don't see any ad's anywhere (well some text sometimes get's through but no ad images load) because I use the hpHOSTS HOSTS File, and the MVPS HOSTS File.

If you use either one of them you'll need HostsMan to remove the duplicates, and possible errors. Just don't let HostsMan automatically download and install those two HOSTS files if you already have a custom built homemade HOSTS file of your own because it will remove your original entries as I found out, good thing I make backups because I would have lost my five plus years in the making original HOSTS file.

andavari, can you start a thread explaining a little bit about hosts files, and possible have a link to download the hosts file that you say you built over 5 years? im not sure if i am asking something that can be done, but if you have a security system that is working to keep out ads and such, i would be interested in learning about it and installing it. thanks! :)

• Moderators

You could make a start by looking at this thread of rridgley's, until Andavari gets back to you.

I followed it to do mine, and as you can see by the thread, so did many others!

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showto...5&hl=hosts+file

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

thanks hazelnut. i remember following those instructions, but i thought maybe andavari had an expanded list of blocks, and maybe could explain it a bit for me. :)

i dont know why, but the forum is good again today. nothing has changed on my computer, so i dont know what that was all about. hmmmmm.

I PMed MrG and we sorted it out. He had temporarily changed some settings.

• Moderators

andavari, can you start a thread explaining a little bit about hosts files, and possible have a link to download the hosts file that you say you built over 5 years? im not sure if i am asking something that can be done, but if you have a security system that is working to keep out ads and such, i would be interested in learning about it and installing it. thanks! :)

I think MVPS.org and the hpHOSTS explain it well enough, so much so that I'm not going to be able to add any relevant additional information.

Also the HOSTS file I have is something I won't share because it blocks some good/safe sites (that once pissed me off long ago), along with the bad ones such as ad/malware which are actually already blocked in the MVPS HOSTS File and hpHOST HOSTS File.

-----------------------

A little late to answer your question in the thread the rridgely started about using the MVPS HOSTS File:

You need to keep SpywareBlaster installed because it places killbits into the registry so that malware can't be installed in the first place, along with it's restricted sites list for IE, Mozilla Suite, and Firefox.

-----------------------

Edit:

Anyone interesting in using the HOSTS file to block crap should read this page on MVPS.org. It's a HOSTS file FAQ and also details some HOSTS file info on keeping a HOSTS file in compliance with how it must actually be used.

anywhere where it should have a smiley or a symbol that is normally used to describe something, the words appear. for instance rolling eyes smiley looks like ":rolleyes:.

Ah, that happens to me too periodically. It gets all weird and then after a day or so it is back to normal. Unfortuanately, I don't know why. I just try to ignore it when it happens because I know it will eventually fix itself. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

krit, do the avatars not show either? and how did you get it to say "yo yo yo" under your avatar? :)

I don't remember about the avatars actually. I think that some will show and others don't when the forum gets all weird. Are you using FF btw?

As for the "Yo Yo Yo" I change that in My Controls under Profile. It's the top line. I don't know how many posts you need to change that yourself. If you don't have enough posts I think RR can change it for you, but I'm not certain. :)

ttyl

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I don't remember about the avatars actually. I think that some will show and others don't when the forum gets all weird. Are you using FF btw?

I think that what causes some images such as the avatars to sometimes drop out is the various url's being used. With individual sites changing settings or going offline, some of us using filters, etc. the images become unavailable.

LOTW, this most recent incident only affected those of us that block referers.

I think that what causes some images such as the avatars to sometimes drop out is the various url's being used. With individual sites changing settings or going offline, some of us using filters, etc. the images become unavailable.

I don't agree with that because it only happens when I can't see smiley's (emotion pics). There are times when the URL thing is true, but that is a different thing all together. When the forum is messing up the avatar is just a box with a red x in it. When a URL is messed up the picture just disappears.

LOTW, this most recent incident only affected those of us that block referers.

How do you know that? And what are referers? And why does the problem crop up and go away on its own? <_<

I'm just saying that there can be multiple causes and differing effects for each of us.

As an example, if I were to filter out www.lunarsoft.net or lunarsoft was temporarily unavailable, I would not be able to see your avatar but I would be able to see all the other avatars on this thread. This could explain the "some will show and others don't" situation you mentioned.

In this recent incident, like LOTW, I lost all the images on the forum and got the red X placeholders. I tested a hunch and found that unblocking Referers corrected the problem. I contacted MrG and he confirmed that he had temporarily changed settings for a few days. Those settings would only have affected those of us that block Referers (see article). At other times, other setting changes may have been the cause, and may or may not have affected all of us.